Ask me about my favorite country, and chances are I'll tell you that it's New Zealand. I've been to the country a handful of times, and even studied abroad in Wellington for a semester during university. I love this country for its stunning landscapes, laid-back vibes, and friendly people.
New Zealand quick facts
- Population: 4.7 million
- Language: English, Maori, and NZ Sign Language
- Currency: New Zealand Dollar (NZD)
- Capital city: Wellington
- Country size: 103,483 sq. miles
- High season: Summer (December through March)
Top 10 things to do in New Zealand
- Take a campervan road trip around the country
- Visit the Hobbiton movie set
- Admire the stunning Milford Sound
- Attend a Maori cultural show
- Ride the historic Wellington cable car
- Go whale watching in Kaikoura
- Go bungee jumping in Queenstown
- Trek around the impressive Mount Cook
- Go lupin spotting in the spring
- Witness the Aurora Australis, or Southern Lights
The best way to get around New Zealand is by car or campervan. Roads are well-maintained, and it's fairly easy to get from one point to another.
If you don't want to rent a car, you can also get to most places by bus or train. NakedBus and InterCity are bus companies that I've used many times – if you book in advance you can often get good deals.
You can also fly between all of New Zealand's major cities. Keep an eye on grabaseat for good domestic deals.
Where to stay
New Zealand has a nice mixture of hotels, hostels, and B&Bs to choose from, depending on your travel style and budget. Camping is also popular in NZ, with tons of campsites dotted all over the country.