Here you'll find all the best inspirational and tip-based posts that I've written over the years.
They're loosely categorized for you to browse here.
You Don’t Have to Ditch the 9 to 5 in Order to Travel
You don't have to quit your job and become a digital nomad in order to see the world.
The World is Not Safe – But You Should Explore it Anyway
Nowhere in the world is entirely safe, but you shouldn't let fear keep you from exploring it anyway.
26 Things Travel Has Taught Me
Travel can teach you a lot, both about yourself and the wider world. Here are 26 things I've learned from traveling the world.
- 5 Ways Travel Has Made Me More Adventurous
- Why I'm Not Afraid to Travel Alone
- 10 Inspirational Tolkien Quotes About Travel and Life
- Life is Short. Travel Now.
- When Their Dream is Not Your Dream
- 5 Things My 86-Year-Old Grandma Taught Me About Travel
8 Truths About Traveling as an Introvert
Did you know that a lot of people who love to travel are introverted? (It's not just you!) Here's what traveling as an introvert is like.
Why I Won’t Get Mad If You Call Me Lucky
Travel is a privilege, and I AM pretty lucky in a lot of ways. So while I do work hard, I also won't get mad if you call me lucky to travel so much.
It’s Okay to Feel These (Negative) Things When You Travel
Fear, anxiety, boredom, loneliness… there's nothing wrong with you if you feel these things on a trip!
- I Hate to Break it To You, But Travel IS Political
- 9 Reasons You Should Never Travel the World
- Why Traveling as a Female Rocks (and Why it Sucks)
- Why Sustainable Tourism Should Matter to You
- Should You Quit School to Travel the World?
- Is Travel the Best Education?
- Am I a Lame Traveler? (Or Why You Should Never Let Anyone Tell You Where You Should or Shouldn't Travel)
- The Traveler vs. Tourist Debate and Why I Don’t Give a Crap
- 5 Times When It's NOT OK to Take a Travel Selfie
- Why Guided Tours are Not the Devil
- The Pros and Cons of Travel
- What is travel? Why do we do it?
- “Dark” Travel as a Way to Pay Tribute
How to Plan an Awesome Trip in 16 Easy Steps
Wondering how I go about planning all my travel? Here's everything you need to know about how I plan my trips.
How to Keep Your Money and Valuables Safe on Your Travels
Keep yourself safe from pickpockets and other petty crime with these tips on how to keep your things safe on your travels.
7 Ways You Can Help Combat Climate Change as a Traveler
Some suggestions on how you can reduce your footprint and be a more responsible and sustainable traveler.
Travel Checklist: 11 Things to Do Before Going on an International Trip
Here are all the things you don't want to forget to do before leaving on that next trip abroad.
10 Tips for How to Travel More with Limited Vacation Time
Tips for how you can still travel and take epic trips, even if you're limited by not a lot of paid vacation time.
10 Tips to Help You Plan a Successful Workation
Want to work while you travel? Here are some good tips on how to plan a workation that actually… works.
- 10 Tips for How to Pack Carry On Only for Your Next Trip
- 8 Tips for Planning the Perfect Long Weekend Trip
- How to Plan a Weekend Away That Actually Feels Like a Vacation
- The Best Ways to Stay Connected on Your Travels
- 7 Essential Tips for Flying Budget Airlines in the US
- Travel in the Time of Zika: How to Avoid Mosquitos on the Road
- How to Deal With Travel-Wary Parents
- 9 Money-Saving Tips For Travelers From Travelers
- In-Flight Essentials to Make Long Flights Suck Less
- 6 Easy Ways to Use Less Plastic on Your Travels
- How to Photograph the Northern Lights
11 Tips to Help Make Your First Solo Trip Great
Traveling solo for the first time? Use these tips to help make your first solo trip safe and fun.
Top 9 Questions About Solo Travel Answered
All the questions you've ever had about solo travel answered all together in one post.
Why I’m Not Afraid to Travel Alone
People often assume (or tell you) that you should be afraid of traveling solo as a woman. But I'm not afraid, and here's why.
- Dear Dad: Please Don't Worry (a Treatise on Solo Female Travel)
- 3 Great Destinations for First-Time Solo Female Travelers
- 7 Great Places for Solo Female Travel in 2015
- 5 Reasons Solo Travel Sucks
Expectations vs. Reality: My Top Travel Letdowns and Surprises
My top letdowns and surprises after 10+ years of traveling all around the world.
How I Failed at Being a Digital Nomad
I tried being a full-time traveler and “digital nomad” once; it did not go well, and I realized that lifestyle just wasn't for me.
My Travel Tattoos and Their Stories
I have several tattoos, all of which are tied to my travels. Here are the stories behind each of my tattoos!
- Where it All Began: It’s Carmen Sandiego’s Fault
- Why I DIDN'T Quit My Job to Travel
- Musing on My Concept of Home and How Travel Has Shaped It
- 5 Things I Wish I Knew Before Going on a Digital Detox
- How to Plan a Travel-Themed Wedding That Doesn’t Suck
- 9 Signs You Are NOT a Hiker
7 Reasons You Should Go on That River Cruise This Year
River cruising is my favorite kind of cruising. Here are 7 reasons to go on a river cruise.
How to Decide if an Active River Cruise is Right for You
Avalon Waterways has launched a line of active river cruises, which offer brand new types of excursions.
Exploring Christmas Markets with Viking River Cruises
If you want to celebrate the holidays in a new way, consider a Christmas market river cruise!
- Cruising Solo: What It's Like to Go on a Viking River Cruise Alone
- 6 Highlights from an Active River Cruise with Avalon Waterways
- Cruising Eastern Europe with AmaWaterways
- Meet Giannina – Life as a Cruise Ship Employee
- Amanda’s Holiday Gift Guide for Travelers and Travel Lovers
- The Quest to Find the Perfect Travel Shoe
- The Best Luggage and Bags for Travel
- A Peek Inside My Camera Bag: My Favorite Travel Photography Gear
- The Top 12 Things I Can’t Travel Without
Because sometimes I do write posts for other bloggers.
How I Make Money as a Travel Blogger
It's the number one question people ask me, and I break down my income streams for you in this post.
The Business of Blogging: What I’ve Learned After 10 Years
I've been blogging for more than 10 years; here are all the things I've learned in that time.
How Blogging Has Changed the Way I Travel
For better or worse, travel blogging has definitely changed the way I travel.
- Turning a Blog into a Business: 7 Things I Did Right
- How to Start a Travel Blog in 10 Simple Steps
- 5 Lessons from 5 Years of Travel Blogging
- My Life as a Travel Blogger
- Behind the Scenes: What is Working Remotely Really Like?
- What It’s Really Been Like to Run a Travel Blog During a Global Pandemic
- Is Anybody Out There? Hang in There, Travel Bloggers
- Secrets to Running a Travel Blog When You Aren't Traveling
- How to Work With Tourism Boards
- Why the Travel Blogging Community is Awesome
- 18 Travel Bloggers with Different Perspectives to Follow
I write a TON about independent travel, and have traveled around Europe for months at a time on my own before. I don’t think it’s a stupid idea at all!