Vietnam is a country in Southeast Asia with some incredible landscapes, from the limestone karsts of Ha Long Bay to the braided waterways in the Mekong Delta. Vietnam’s cities are interesting and historic, and the food is some of the best in the region, making this a great destination for travelers interested in exploring Southeast Asia.
Vietnam quick facts
- Population: 95.5 million
- Language: Vietnamese
- Currency: Vietnamese Dong (VND)
- Capital city: Hanoi
- Country size: 127,881 square miles
- High season: March to May and September to November
Top 10 things to do in Vietnam
- Take a cruise through Ha Long Bay
- Explore the imperial city of Hue
- Get custom clothing made from a tailor in Hoi An
- Trek through the beautiful rice terraces of Sapa
- Celebrate Tet (Vietnamese New Year)
- Take a boat ride down the Mekong River
- Explore the capital city of Hanoi
- Try Vietnamese cuisine like pho and banh mi
- See the stunning Ban Gioc waterfalls
Vietnam is a large country with a length as long as the East Coast of the United States. Traveling from one end of the country to the other (such as from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City) is best accomplished by taking a domestic flight.
For covering shorter distances, taking the train or tourist buses is a cost-effective and relatively efficient way to get around.
Within cities, the cheapest way to get around is by motorbike taxi. If you’re feeling adventurous, you can rent your own motorbike or motorcycle, but it’s not recommended for those who aren’t experienced drivers!
Where to stay in Vietnam
Ho Chi Minh City