A unique blend of East and West, Turkey straddles the border between Asia and Europe.
Turkey is known for its long and rich history and ancient wonders in places like Ephesus and Troy. The country is also known for its diverse landscapes, from the otherworldly Cappadocia to the Mediterranean coast.
Turkey quick facts
- Population: 80.8 million
- Language: Turkish
- Currency: Turkish Lira (TRY)
- Capital city: Ankara
- Country size: 302,535 square miles
- High season: Summer (June through August)
Top 10 things to do in Turkey
- Admire the Byzantine architecture of the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul
- Get lost wandering the 4,000 shops in Istanbul’s Grand Bazaar
- Take a hot air balloon ride over Cappadocia
- Visit the Roman ruins in the city of Ephesus
- See the otherworldly geological phenomenon of Pamukkale
- Explore the Mediterranean hub of Antalya
- Take a yacht cruise from the Mediterranean city of Bodrum
- Hike Mount Nemrut, notable for the large statues at its summit
- Experience a traditional Turkish hammam
- Try Turkey’s most popular treat, Turkish delight
Long-distance buses are the most popular way to get around Turkey. Buses are modern and comfortable, and connect popular destinations like Istanbul and Cappadocia (a journey which takes 10 to 12 hours.)
A faster transportation option is domestic flights, which are typically very affordable on Turkish Airlines. Istanbul to Cappadocia is just an hour and a half long flight.
Where to stay