Spain is a country full of diverse history and culture. Ancient Arabic influence can be found in the architecture of Andalusian cities like Granada and Córdoba, while Christian influence can be seen in the celebrations of Three King’s Day and Easter across the country.
The landscape of Spain is also diverse, from the wild peaks of the Pyrenees to the blue waters on the Mediterranean coast. Along with beautiful natural scenery, Spain is home to great cities like quirky and unique Barcelona to elegant and stylish Madrid.
Spain quick facts
- Population: 46.7 million
- Language: Spanish
- Currency: Euro (EUR)
- Capital city: Madrid
- Country size: 195,000 square miles
- High season: Summer (July and August)
Top 10 things to do in Spain
- Discover Gaudi’s unique architecture in Barcelona
- Attend La Tomatina, Valencia’s annual tomato festival, and prepare to get messy!
- Visit the Alhambra, a famous Moorish palace in Granada
- See an authentic flamenco show in Andalusia
- Walk the Camino de Santiago pilgrimage route across the country
- Celebrate Feria de Abril, a unique spring festival in Seville
- Hit the beaches and experience the nightlife of Ibiza
- Enjoy Spanish culinary specialties like paella and jamón ibérico
- Admire the art at the unique Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao
- Experience some outdoor adventures in the Pyrenees
Trains are one of the best ways to get around Spain. The national rail line RENFE operates high-speed and regional trains. High-speed trains (known as AVE) run between major cities. For example, you can get between Barcelona and Madrid in just two hours on an AVE train. Search for Spain train tickets here.
There are also plenty of bus companies connecting major destinations in Spain. While they are slower than the trains, taking a bus will save you more money.
Within large cities like Barcelona and Madrid, you can easily get around with public transportation like the metro and buses.
Finally, domestic flights are usually cheap on low-cost carriers and can get you to island destinations like Ibiza, Mallorca, and the Canary Islands quickly and easily.
Where to stay