7 Great Places for Solo Female Travel in 2015

Hooker Glacier Lagoon in New Zealand

So you've written down your resolutions for 2015. And, high up near the top of the list, reads: “TRAVEL MORE.” Maybe you've even underlined it a few times — that's how much you want to see the world and have adventures.

It's a great goal, of course; travel teaches us so much more about human nature and the world that we could ever hope to learn from books or TV. But sometimes achieving that goal is tricky.

We want to travel, but we wait and wait (sometimes forever) for someone else to be able to travel with us. Finances, jobs, family commitments, and all manner of other things always seem to get in the way.

Well, NOT in 2015, ladies.

Make 2015 the year of solo travel!

Great Places for Solo Female Travel

I've been traveling the world pretty consistently for the past 4-5 years, and I do the majority of my travel solo. Is this because I'm anti-social and hate the company of others? Of course not! I'm just not willing to waste time waiting. I want to travel NOW, so I travel on my own.

RELATED: Why I'm Not Afraid to Travel Alone

Solo travel can be awesome — you gain confidence, worldly know-how, and some seriously sweet stories to take home. So, when Expedia asked me to collaborate with them to share some of my suggestions on where to go in 2015, I was happy to oblige.

Here are my picks for great places to travel solo this year:

NEW ZEALAND

If you follow my blog regularly, you already know that I am in love (okay, a little obsessed with) New Zealand. The Land of the Long White Cloud is “The One” for me — the one country that I will keep returning to, time and time again, because I love it so much. I love the landscapes, the laid-back cultural vibe, and the wide range of adventure activities to enjoy.

Lupins at Lake Tekapo

Some of my favorite places in New Zealand: the Hobbiton movie set in Matamata; the capital city of Wellington; the coastal town of Kaikoura; Mount Cook and the surrounding lakes; the lakeside town of Wanaka; and Queenstown, New Zealand's “Adventure Capital.”

Why it's great for solo travel: New Zealand is BUILT for solo travel. It's safe, easy to get around, and filled with so many amazing landscapes and activities that you won't ever have to worry about getting bored. It's also filled with great hostels, which can be perfect places to stay if you're young and want to meet other travelers.

RELATED: Top 9 Questions About Solo Travel Answered

SCOTLAND

Oh how I love Scotland! Yes, it can be quite wet and chilly (even in the summer), but it's gorgeous no matter what the weather is like. When I think of Scotland, I think of green hills and castles. And who doesn't like those two things?

Isle of Skye

Some of my favorite places in Scotland: Edinburgh (all of it!); the Highlands; and especially the Isle of Skye.

Why it's great for solo travel: Scotland is another very safe country — you don't really have to worry about going anywhere on your own. It's also a fairly small country, making it easy to explore. And, even though the accents might throw you, everyone speaks English here!

CANADA

Most people tend to lump Canada in with the U.S. when talking about travel destinations, but Canada is definitely unique in its own right, and has a LOT to offer any type of traveler.

Peggys Cove HDR

Some of my favorite places in Canada: Toronto; Canada's capital city of Ottawa (go for the Tulip Festival!); Banff National Park (Alberta is awesome); the coastal parts, like in Nova Scotia; Vancouver; and the pretty city of Victoria.

Why it's great for solo travel: Again, it's safe and the people are friendly. It's also pretty easy to get around — consider taking the train across the entire country!

IRELAND

Very similar to Scotland, I also love Ireland a lot. The land of Guinness and leprechauns is a favorite for a lot of travelers, which definitely says something about the country as a whole. I've been to Ireland three times now, and will certainly be back again.

Cliffs of Moher

Some of my favorite places in Ireland: Dublin; the Dingle Peninsula; the Cliffs of Moher; the Aran Islands; and Glendalough in County Wicklow.

Why it's great for solo travel: Like the other countries on this list so far, Ireland is safe. You can go just about anywhere as a woman on your own and not have to worry about your safety. It's also easy to do day trips from Dublin if you're more comfortable exploring from a home base.

SLOVENIA

Before you go saying, “Wait, where's Slovenia?,” I'll tell you that it's a small country surrounded by Croatia, Hungary, Austria, and Italy. It's incredibly overlooked by most travelers to Europe, but that's part of the reason why I love it so much. It has a small population, and a small number of annual tourists — meaning it's pretty cities are rarely overcrowded.

Ljubljana HDR

Some of my favorite places in Slovenia: Lake Bled; the capital of Ljubljana; Postojna Cave; and Triglav National Park.

Why it's great for solo travel: As I mentioned before, Slovenia isn't super-touristy, making it a really laid-back place to visit on your own. It's also (can you guess?) quite safe, and well-connected to most major cities in Europe either by train or budget airline.

ICELAND

Oh, Iceland. This country halfway between North America and Europe is definitely in my top five favorite places on the planet. Its landscapes are almost other-worldly, it's in the perfect position to see some amazing Northern Lights in the winter, it has adorably fluffy horses, and people here legit believe in elves. Like, for real. It also has more waterfalls and volcanoes and glaciers than you can shake a stick at.

Iceland

Some of my favorite places in Iceland: Reykjavik; the Snaefellsnes Peninsula; Jokulsarlon; and ALL the waterfalls along the South Shore.

Why it's great for solo travel: There's basically no crime in Iceland, so, again, a very safe place to visit. And, even though you pretty much have no hope of pronouncing any Icelandic words, the great news is that almost everyone here also speaks perfect English! It's also another country where taking day trips from the capital (Reykjavik) is very easy if you don't want to rent a car on your own.

THAILAND

Lastly, I felt like Asia deserved to be represented on this list. It's not always the first place people think of when they think solo travel, but believe it or not it IS a good option! Thailand would be my pick because it's firmly on the Southeast Asia backpacker trail (meaning tons of fellow travelers to meet) and the tourism infrastructure is quite good. It also has a good variety of places to visit, from the jungle to beaches.

Pranang Beach, Railay

Some of my favorite places in Thailand: Bangkok (though not for too long); Elephant Nature Park; Chiang Mai; the Railay beaches; and the island of Koh Lanta.

Why it's great for solo travel: There are SO many travelers in Thailand all the time. Meaning if you don't want to be on your own you probably don't have to be. Book some day tours, or stay in hostels so you can pick up travel buddies along the way. Thailand is also pretty cheap, which is helpful if you don't have someone to split costs with!

What are some other places YOU would suggest for solo travel this year?

Some great products for the female traveler:

• All great suggests! I would also include Australia, USA (which is surprisingly diverse and interesting!) and other Southeast Asian hits like Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos and Bali.
    Michelle | Lights Camera Travel recently posted..Till We Run Out of Road

Australia is great, too, but I figured it’s pretty similar to NZ – plus I feel like it’s much easier to get around NZ on your own!

As for other Southeast Asian countries… I feel like some could easily put you off if it was one of your first solo trips abroad! The culture shock in a country like, Cambodia, can hit pretty hard. BUT, SEA is definitely great for solo travel!

• Rebekah says:

that’s a good list. I think China is a great place to travel as a woman, I actually think I get treated better then the dudes do when I travel, people are extremely protective of me. There are a lot of frustrating things that happen here, but its rarely unsafe.
    Rebekah recently posted..Songpan and Why I Hated It

• Elisa says:

Hear, hear on Ljubljana! 🙂 It’s a neat capital city to explore. And to see dragons on a bridge…

• YAY Canada, so great to see it on here 😉 I live pretty close to Banff, and can attest to its beauty and the friendly people!

I really enjoyed Germany from Munich to the Black Forest, and found it to be one of the easiest and safest countries to travel around with super friendly people as well.

Great list, cannot wait to visit some of these destinations in 2015.
    Veronica Greenly recently posted..The Europe Trip: Lovely Madrid

I went to Banff for the first time last year, and it was amaaaaazing.

I was actually considering adding Germany to this list, but I’ve really only spent time in Berlin, so I can’t speak about the whole country. But I would imagine it would be another great solo spot!

• Renuka says:

Nice to know that Slovenia is safe for solo travel, as I am contemplating to make it there in 2015. All the best to me. 🙂
    Renuka recently posted..The Slow Pace Of Life In Murud

• Annelise says:

hello thanks for sharing this…I’m thinking about a solo travel to Thailand next year …and I’m so glad to see that many bloggers/travelers are recommending Thailand- Bangkok etc. as a safe place for solo female travelers and as a great place for adventures as well!! So looking forward to discover it by myself next year!!

Thailand would probably be the most challenging destination on this list for a first solo trip, but that’s just because the culture is very different. The country itself is pretty safe and easy to get around – just be prepared for the chaos! 😉

• Nice destinations here, that’s great you included Ireland, where I’m from! New Zealand is so great, I’d love to go back, but those flights are so expensive! 🙁
    Christine | The Traveloguer recently posted..Alternative Berlin – Street Art Tour & Graffiti Workshop

• Michelle says:

I’m not a solo female traveller but a traveller with children (which presents it’s own challenges). We’re on country #7 of our RTW trip and have talked to many solo female travellers in the countries we’ve been to. I would recommend Cambodia, Sri Lanka and Ethiopia for friendly, safe countries with amazing culture and sights to see.

Great post!

Thanks for those suggestions, Michelle! I definitely give you credit for traveling with children – it’s not easy! But your kids will learn so much!

• Patricia says:

Really? Is Sri Lanka safe for women travelling alone? I really wanna go there but i’m a little afraid. Where have you been there? tks a lot for any tip!

• Jennifer says:

Yes! I lived there for 6 months and never felt scared or threatened or even uncomfortable. Everyone is friendly and helpful

• Erin says:

Thanks for all the suggestions! Especially Thailand. I feel safe and confident traveling all over Europe by myself but have never been to Asia. I’m starting to think the first trip will be a solo one so this recommendation is particularly perfect for me!
    Erin recently posted..Let’s Eat Out: Spoon

Thailand is a pretty good place to start in Southeast Asia. It’s got pretty good tourism infrastructure, and there are always lots of other solo travelers there, too, which always makes me feel better.

• Jessica says:

Yay, love this list! You’ve made me a firm believer in having New Zealand at the top of my list 🙂

I also did Southeast Asia as my first solo trip, starting in Thailand. It was a great place to go!
    Jessica recently posted..Phong Nha Ke Day 3: Tu Lan Cave

• Kay says:

Awesome list! Planning on hitting Thailand and Iceland this year, and I’ve been to Canada before…all solo. I definitely think your list could use some South America love – I’ve been to Brazil, Argentina, and Chile, and they were all super solo female-friendly and extremely fun to travel to!
    Kay recently posted..9 Things You Should Know Before Traveling In Brazil

• Love NZ such a beautiful place
    rebecca kroegel recently posted..Once Upon a Time, in Bruges

• Chris Boney says:

Ushuaia in Argentina is amazing and very safe! Its a bit chilly (Southern most city in the world), but lots to see and do. Also a port from which to hit Antarctica!

• A great list. I’ve been to all the above places solo except for Iceland, Canada, New Zealand & Slovenia, and that’s only because I haven’t been to those countries at all yet!
    Solo travel is an important journey for young women and I heartily recommend it for all. Where’s safe to travel solo? All of Europe, Canada, New Zealand, and Australia, I’m not sure about certain parts of the US but definitely the East Coast and the West Coast, all the South East Asian countries, and if you keep your wits about you, North Africa and the Asian subcontinent.
    Just stay calm, have some emergency money hidden away, and take normal precautions as you would in your own home-country, and you’d be fine. 🙂
    Victoria@ The British Berliner recently posted..It’s bizarre. It’s quirky. It’s THE WYLD!

All great tips, Victoria! I always say the same about solo travel – don’t do anything you wouldn’t do at home and stay aware of your surroundings, and you’ll be fine! (And I always have that emergency stash, too.)

• Arti says:

I am really smitten about New Zealand. Want to see the natural beauty and the wilderness of the place in this lifetime. Hope I get to do that soon!!
    Arti recently posted..Time Travel in Tulsibaug: Ancient Shree Ram Temple, Pune

• Gemma says:

All great choices! You’ve definitely hit the nail on the head with New Zealand. I went on a working holiday there at 18 and I had the best experience travelling solo as a woman. I live in Canada now which I also think would be great…don’t have first hand though due to the boyfriend I brought home after my 2nd trip to NZ 😉
    Gemma recently posted..7 Places I Never Expected To See in Canada

• Burcu Basar says:

I agree with all these locations and I would also add Japan to the list. Extremly safe, mind blowing and not as expensive as it was once used to be.
    Burcu Basar recently posted..A Different Japan – All White This Time

• I’m going to four of these places this year and I simply cannot wait. 🙂 I’m rather nervous about Scotland though…the dollar to pound conversion rate is awful hahaha Anyway, thanks for writing this! p.s. Elephant Nature Park really is amazing. I can’t wait to return there!

• Janice says:

Hello, thanks for sharing this. I haven’t traveled solo but I love your list! I’d love to visit Bangkok soon since it’s the closest from where I am. Lovely photos Amanda!

• Monika says:

I´m visiting Slovenia soon! It´s hard for me to believe that I haven´t been there yet, considering I´ve visited all neighbouring countries. And it´s also very close to my home country…Slovakia (which is another never-heard-of country and the two are actually often confused) 🙂 Scotland and Iceland are also on my bucket list so I hope to make it there asap 🙂
    Monika recently posted..Winter colours of Trondheim (and how to enjoy them for free!)

• Gillian says:

I am travelling to the USA September this year and have been told to take extra care. Shame as there are so many safe countries. As you are from the US, perhaps you would let me have your thoughts. I fly into San Francisco, will rent a car and drive down the coast to LA/San Diego. Then to Las Vegas and Grand Canyon. I need to end up in Chicago by early November but don’t want to drive there, so perhaps Amtrak. What do you think?
    Gillian

I wouldn’t worry too much – I don’t think the US is any more or less dangerous that other countries like the UK or Canada for tourists. It of course depends on where you’re going, but if you stick to touristy spots and don’t do anything stupid, you should be fine! If you’ll be driving a rental car, I would just advise you to keep everything in the trunk (boot) of the car instead of the backseat. Basically, don’t leave anything out in the open that might tempt someone to break into your car.

As far as getting to Chicago… I would compare prices. Amtrak can be quite slow and expensive – it might actually be more economical to just fly!

• Mallory says:

this list has been very helpful! I have a favour to ask, do you have any tips on reassuring worried parents that traveling as a solo female isn’t all that dangerous nowadays. Struggling to convince a very apprehensive father that I won’t stumble into a real life version of the film ‘Taken’. I’m planning on going to Australia and will be staying with family a lot of my time there, however I do want to stay in Hostels so that I can meet fellow travellers and perhaps travel onwards with them, but my Dad is convinced lots of bad things will happen if I stay in Hostels. Can you recommend any other blogs by solo female travellers that I can get some more success stories from?

Thanks a bunch for this list, I’m definitely planning on heading to NZ and SEA at some point in the future! Also glad to see Scotland is on this list, as I’m a proud Scot myself, and agree that it is a very safe and extremely beautiful country to travel. I recommend Oban (my hometown) to anyone who’s considering Scotland as a future destination!

xx

I’ve been to Oban! A really awesome little town. 🙂

There are TONS of blogs out there written by women who usually travel solo. Some of my favorites are Adventurous Kate, Young Adventuress, Alex in Wanderland, and Twenty-Something Travel.

Australia is an extremely safe place to travel solo, too. There are always lots of young travelers, so even if you’re staying in hostels you’re never *really* alone. I’ve written other posts about solo female travel on my site, too – just do a quick search and you can find some other things I’ve written on the subject!

• Katie says:

I definitely agree that Canada is a great place for solo female travel – I am travelling solo in British Columbia at the moment. Italy ended up being surprisingly great for solo female travel too as did Alaska – there were so many females in their late twenties to late thirties travelling alone which was a big surprise
    Katie recently posted..Hiking through the mountains to stunning Garibaldi Lake

Honestly I haven’t had problems traveling anywhere in Europe solo! But I know language barriers freak a lot of people out, so I tried to stick to places that are really easy to navigate when you only speak English!

• Mary says:

You may have answered this previously, I am new to solo travel and did a week in Glasgow Scotland and LOVED it. I didn’t get to see everything and will return. I am thinking I am addicted now, but will only be able to travel a week to 10 days twice a year (mostly in the cooler months). My question is, do you have a place where you have listed highlights of places to see, or things you did. How you got from point A to point B etc….Thanks in advance

It’s definitely easy to get addicted to! 😉

As for highlights of places to see… well, that’s more or less what my whole site is about! Check out my Destinations page (https://www.dangerous-business.com/destinations/) to see where I’ve been! If you click on a specific country, you’ll see all the posts I’ve written about it. *Some* posts include info on getting around, but obviously that info changes from place to place!

• Shirley says:

I went to Paris SOLO this year for my first solo travel trip. I was 58. It was FABULOUS. I never once felt lonely or odd that I was a woman traveling alone in a country that is so often called romantic. The subway was SO easy to navigate and, if I got lost, there was ALWAYS plenty of people who spoke English to help me. But you have to ask for help and when you do, they are happy to give it. I want to go back again and again and again but there are so many other places to see in the world…

• Spocksgirl says:

I have been to England, Scotland, Wales, Finland, Italy, Japan, Quebec, Toronto, New Brunswick and close to 40 of the US states…all by myself. Just be street savvy, learn something of the culture and language and walk confidently. You’ll have no problems!
    Thinking about my next trip!

• Michelle says:

What a great post. My first ever solo trip was to Iceland & I felt it was the safest city I’ve ever visited. I am very cautious when I travel but I felt comfortable taking a stroll along the street at 10pm. My next (second)solo trip is, hopefully, New Zealand. Its daunting to travel so far alone but I feel I have to do it. Like Iceland, everything about New Zealand fascinates me & I feel I have to see it in person

• Veronica says:

Great post! You’ve definitely given me some ideas as to where to travel solo!
    Just a little note though, Toronto is not the capital city of Ottawa. Toronto & Ottawa are both cities in Ontario (the Province, or ‘State’ as some would call it). Toronto is the capital city of Ontario, and Ottawa is the national capital city of Canada.

From,
    The Canadian, Toronto born girl.

• Heather says:

Great topic! I wanted to note that in my experience South America was a very welcoming and accessible place for a solo female traveler. I took buses across Argentina and Chile, which was definitely the most rewarding and affordable transportation I’ve ever used. During that time I camped on farms, stayed in hostels or hotels and never once had trouble. A taxi driver in Northern Chile was concerned about me travelling solo, but he was also a very sweet old soul I was lucky to meet.

• Mildar says:

mg u have rly nice photos. Can u link your camera please?

• Rachel says:

Hello,
    I just found this site and loved reading the comments! I have travelled solo before and considering doing a 2-3 week trip this year and was considering Brazil. I did see someone said they found it friendly with is great. I want to go on my own, but would also like to have a blend of a tour or place to sometimes anchor on, but not one that has an itinerary packed full every day. Do any of you know any companies like that? I am not sure I described very well what I am looking for.

Cheers

Hmm, well, I’m a fan of traveling with Intrepid Travel, but I don’t know what kind of tours they have in Brazil. Maybe you could pick a couple cities you want to visit and then go on some day tours? That way you might hit that ideal mix that you’re looking for.

• Kellee says:

Hi, just want to share my views as female solo traveller. By the way, thanks for posting about NZ (my home country). I think one Southeast Asian country which has been missed from the list but is easy to get around and extremely safe is Singapore. I currently live in Singapore. Granted it is very expensive – that is to say on par with the Western countries. English is one of the main languages here, the currency is in dollars, and the public transport system is fantastic!! Eating at hawker centre’s can cost anywhere from SGD$2.50 and up for a meal. There are loads of Western expats here and lots of tourists at any given time of the year. Batam and Bintan (Indonesia) are a 45min ferry ride away, and Malaysia is a 7min bus ride across the causeway.

I also want to mention Malacca in Malaysia as being a fabulous place to visit. Its safe, it has a great vibe and its easy to walk everywhere as its flat. For the slightly more adventurous I would recommend Ho Chi Minh in Vietnam. Its wild and crazy and lots of fun!! I went on motorbike tours almost everyday, met some great people and saw some amazing sights. For a slightly more laid back holiday, try Da Nang. Again I was out on motorbike tours most days. The Han River is beautiful with all the bridges lit up at night, especially the dragon bridge which shoots flames out its mouth on Saturday/Sunday nights.

Sabah (Borneo) is great for wildlife but the tours are expensive. Kota Kinabalu is great for shopping at their huge handicraft markets where I picked up several handmade pearl pandora style bracelets for cheap gifts. Brunei was also amazing.

• Shea, 马可昕 says:

Hi Amanda, I just discovered your blog and like someone mentioned at the beginning of these suggestions China is a great place to travel as a solo female. I have been to China by myself twice before. Once right out of high school and again for half a year after college. The half year I spent in Chengdu I fell in love with the city. I will say that I do speak rudimentary Chinese and it is definitely easier to travel knowing the language or at least some basics. Chinese people who know English always want to practice it though, so there have been a couple situations I have gotten out of with help from a local wanting to practice English. You can always mime which they may laugh at but not maliciously and they’ll try to understand. Definitely learn how to say and hear the money values though or you will get ripped off on goods (though it still isn’t very much). I always felt very safe, even at night whether in the city or the middle of nowhere. Also, as a female foreigner, locals will be more willing to help out. Chengdu is a great city to create a home base to travel from. I worked during the week and then took short weekend trips to travel around Chengdu and then holidays to travel farther out. There are great destinations in every direction and Chengdu has an extensive public transportation network that is very cheap. I personally took buses everywhere and for those couple long trips I took a train or plane. To the north of Chengdu are the Panda forests, Jiuzhaigou, Huanglong; to the west is Kangding which has a great Tibetan culture if you can’t get a permit into Tibet; to the south is the Bamboo Sea, Leshan, Mt. Emeishan; Last to the east is Mt. Huayun. From Sichuan Province during holidays you can easily travel to the neighboring provinces and cities of Tibet, Qinghai, Gansu, Shaanxi, Chongqing, Guizhou, and Yunnan. I wanted to show you some pictures of these places, but I’ve never posted on a blog before and have no idea how to do it sorry :(, if you want them though I can email you some pictures 🙂

• Rae says:

Japan is expensive, but very safe. The public transport is the best. I felt safe everywhere day and night. There is so much to see-beautiful scenery, great shopping, temples. Get to some of the other, less populated islands like Shikoko or Hokkaido too.

• Shannon says:

Thanks for all the recommended places. I’m used to traveling by myself for work and have never backed down exploring the various locations I’ve been to. I would definitely recommend Vancouver, BC as a great destination. Very walkable and safe. I was thinking about treating myself to a solo trip to Ireland. Any recommendations regarding lodging in Dublin?

Ah yes, Vancouver is great! As for Dublin, there are lots of cool boutique hotels, and I’ve also rented Airbnb apartments there, too. I don’t really have any favorites, though.

• Amy Proctor says:

I’ve been to NZ twice, but am returning soon and my traveling buddy cannot accompany me. The problem is I want to hike some of those epic hikes for my 50th… multi day hikes, like Milford Track or one of the 2-3 day hikes in the mountains.

In your opinion, are these safe for women traveling alone, too? The idea of canceling my trip because my friend cannot go is killing me, but I cannot afford a second ticket for the hubby or one of my kids, whose schedules won’t let them go anyway. Thoughts on this???

I haven’t personally done any of the multi-day hikes in New Zealand, but I know other women who have with no issues. The good thing about hiking some of those “Great Walks” is that you have to get a permit to do them and book accommodation at designated huts – meaning someone will know where you’re supposed to be. I’d say it’s quite safe to do on your own!

• Amy Proctor says:

Thanks for the reply, Amanda. So any of the designated “Great Walks” require a permit through the DOC I’m assuming. Do they have offices at the beginning and ends of trailheads? I’ll do some research to figure it out but any help would be appreciated.

I know in the States I’d NEVER do a long one day or multi-day hike alone. Maybe I’ve seen too many episodes of Dateline ID and Forensic Files but murders and abductions to happen… no so in NZ I suppose. Or I hope.

New Zealand is a very safe country, and the popular hiking trails are usually not empty – in fact, you may not end up hiking solo at all! Some of the popular hikes (like the Milford Track) require you to book your hike/permit dates pretty far in advance – so make sure to look into the hikes you’re interested in doing well before you plan to go! Some of them do fill up during high season.

• Amy Proctor says:

Thank you so much for the reply, Amanda. I’m not going to let traveling solo stop me! I travel alone all throughout the US so why should this be different? Thanks again!

• Kellee says:

As a Kiwi, I am telling you, you have more to be worried about getting lost in rugged terrain than you do of anything else. So often we have tourists come over who enter the bush ill prepared and get lost (occasionally injured) and waste the time, money and resources of our search teams who have to spend hours/days searching and rescuing them. So my advice is to make sure you go hiking very well prepared. Often tourists underestimate much of our beautiful wilderness and find themselves in trouble because they get lost. Temperatures plummet overnight in the bush and it can get very cold. Please be a safe traveller, inform the right people of your intentions of where you are hiking to and expected arrival times etc. Leave only your footprints behind and shoot lots of great pics. Most of all, have a great time ?

• Love this list – would really like to explore south east Asia. Heard so many great things about Thailand, but also about Vietnam. Heard loads of people say it’s even more incredible than Thailand, so would love to go and explore them both to find out! Though I’d also add Australia to this list. Lived there for a year and absolutely fell in love with the country.
    Katie @ the tea break project recently posted..How To See Paris on a Budget

Vietnam is really great, too, though it’s not quite as “easy” to travel in as Thailand (I wouldn’t recommend it for a very first solo trip, for example). But Australia is definitely another good suggestion!

• Fantastic article with amazing tips. My little sister, Anii is currently backpacking in Indian Himalayas and she would love to read did as much as I did. Thanks for sharing!

• Lane Beck says:

Love your site, Amanda. Travel blogger virgin here! Just started a few weeks ago. So, I’m here ‘borrowing’ all your great ideas. 😉

The photography on your site is stunning! Do you use a mix your own photos and stock images? Very happy to see Iceland and Slovenia make your list. I lived in Iceland for several years. Incredible experience! And I am headed to Slovenia in a few months! Thanks for the inspiration. I’d love for you to check out my site.

99% of the photos on my site are my own. 🙂 The ones that aren’t are always marked, but I really don’t like using stock or Creative Commons photos!

• Rekha Rajan says:

For me solo travel as a woman has always been about less touristy places. The more touristy the places, the more crowded they tend to become and the less safer they end up being. Thats why, my favourites are Finland, Canada, New Zealand and Denmark. 🙂
    Rekha Rajan recently posted..Best countries for solo female travelers

It all depends on where you are in any given country – the ones you mentioned can actually get really busy (in certain parts) during the high season! But they’re also all very safe countries overall, which helps a lot.