Romania is mainly known for its association with Dracula and Transylvania, but this Eastern European country has a lot more to offer to travelers. Romania is extremely affordable and is home to stunning castles, beautiful scenery, historic cities, and friendly people.
Romania quick facts
- Population: 19.5 million
- Language: Romanian
- Currency: Romanian Leu (RON)
- Capital city: Bucharest
- Country size: 92,046 square miles
- High season: June through August
Top 10 things to do in Romania
- Spend a night out in Bucharest, Romania’s lively capital
- Explore the Old Town of Brasov in Transylvania
- Visit Bran Castle (the inspiration for Dracula’s castle) in Transylvania
- Check out the less famous but equally beautiful Peles Castle
- Explore the colorful and quaint town of Sighisoara
- See the Painted Monasteries of Bucovina, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Drive the famous Transfăgărășan Highway in the Carpathian Mountains
- Take a scenic ride across the country on the Mocanita steam train
- Check out the unique and beautiful rounded waterfall at Bigar Cascade Falls
- Step back in time by visiting the Romanian countryside
The best way to get around Romania is by train. All the major cities and towns are connected by train, and the train system is pretty efficient and affordable.
Within cities, walking or public buses are the best options for getting around.
Road tripping in Romania is also possible, and it a good way to visit places that are off the beaten path. (Search for rental cars here.)
Where to stay