Hungary is a country located in the heart of Central Europe, bisected by the Danube River that flows through much of the country and its capital city, Budapest.
Budapest is a beautiful city with great history and architecture, stunning views, affordable prices, and a historic center that’s easy to get around. Beyond Budapest, travelers can find more gems like the Eger wine region and the ancient city of Pecs.
Hungary quick facts
- Population: 9.77 million
- Language: Hungarian
- Currency: Hungarian Forint (HUF)
- Capital city: Budapest
- Country size: Approximately 36,000 square miles
- High season: Summer (June through August)
Top 10 things to do in Hungary
- Go up to Buda Castle for the best views overlooking Budapest
- Soak in the Szechenyi Baths in Budapest
- Have a night out in Budapest’s famous ruin bars
- Spend a day at the wineries in Eger or Tokaj, Hungary’s wine regions
- Visit the historic city of Pecs, known for its architecture and culture
- Admire the Esztergom Basilica, the largest church in Hungary
- Cool off at Lake Balaton, Central Europe's largest lake
- Relax in the restorative Cave Baths of Miskolc
- Take a cruise down the Danube River
- Enjoy a bowl of traditional Hungarian goulash
Budapest is a very walkable city, especially within the historic center. The city also has a good public transportation system, made up of subways, streetcars, and ferries.
To reach destinations outside of Budapest such as Eger or Pecs, regional trains and buses both provide comfortable and inexpensive transportation.
Where to stay