Paris, France is a cultural capital of the world, known for its art, architecture, history, cinema, fashion, and cuisine.
France is more than just its capital city, though. From the rolling hills and chateaux of the countryside to the glitzy French Riviera on the southern Mediterranean coast, there are many other destinations in France that are not to be missed.
France quick facts
- Population: 67 million
- Language: France
- Currency: Euro
- Capital city: Paris
- Country size: 248,573 square miles
- High season: June through August, and December
Top 10 things to do in France
- Watch the Eiffel Tower sparkle at night
- Spend a day admiring art at the Louvre or Musée d’Orsay
- Explore the bohemian Latin Quarter and Saint-Germain in Paris
- Get lost wandering around hilly Montmartre in Paris
- Visit the opulent palace of Versailles and explore its gardens
- Day trip to Reims, the birthplace of champagne
- Visit the breathtaking tidal island of Mont Saint-Michel
- See the oldest Christmas market in France in Strasbourg
- Day trip to Monet’s gardens in Giverny
- Hit the beach on the French Riviera
Getting around France is very easy. France has a fast and efficient train system connecting most popular destinations, ranging from the high-speed TGV trains to slower (and less expensive) intercity and TER trains.
Buses are another transportation option. Eurolines and Flixbus are efficient and inexpensive and cover many routes across the country. Renting a car in France is another option if you want more flexibility exploring the countryside. (Search for rental cars here.)
Within Paris, the Metro is your best option for getting around the city and also for reaching popular nearby destinations like Versailles and Disneyland Paris.
Where to stay
No I have not! I still have a lot of France left to see!