Located in Central Europe, the Czech Republic (AKA Czechia) is a country perhaps best known for its beautiful capital city Prague, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Outside of Prague, there is much more to explore in the Czech Republic, from charming towns like Český Krumlov to impressive fortresses like Karlštejn Castle
Czech Republic quick facts
- Population: 10.65 million
- Language: Czech
- Currency: Czech koruna (CZK)
- Capital city: Prague
- Country size: 30,450 square miles
- High season: Summer (June through August) and December
Top 10 things to do in Czechia
- Tour the impressive Prague Castle, dating back to the 9th century
- Visit the charming town of Český Krumlov
- Try the delicious Czech desserts palačinky and trdelník
- Stroll across Prague’s iconic Charles Bridge
- Visit Prague’s famous Christmas market in December
- Explore the Czech Republic’s Bohemian National Park
- Visit the Sedlec Ossuary (Bone Church) in Kutna Hora
- Visit the Gothic fortress Karlštejn Castle
- Sail down the Elbe on a river cruise
- Visit Karlovy Vary, known for its healing hot springs
Within Prague, walking and public transportation are your best options for getting around. Prague has a very robust metro, tram, and bus system.
Outside the capital city, trains and buses are the best option for transportation. Most popular destinations outside of Prague like Český Krumlov and Karlštejn Castle can be easily reached either by train or bus in a couple of hours.
Where to stay