Croatia is a country in the Balkan area of Europe with an extensive coastline along the Adriatic Sea. Known for its beautiful and historic beach towns and stunning national parks, Croatia is a destination that should be on every traveler’s bucket list.
Croatia quick facts
- Population: 4 million
- Language: Croatian
- Currency: Croatian kuna (HRK)
- Capital city: Zagreb
- Country size: 21,851 square miles
- High season: Summer (July and August)
Top 10 things to do in Croatia
- Explore the stunning waterfalls of Plitvice Lakes National Park
- Walk the old city walls in Dubrovnik
- See the Roman ruins of Diocletian’s Palace in Split
- Relax and hit the beach on the resort island of Hvar
- Explore even more amazing waterfalls at Krka National Park
- Visit the quirky Museum of Broken Relationships in Zagreb
- Participate in the Yacht Week festival
- Visit the romantic Adriatic fishing village of Rovinj
- Enjoy fresh seafood along Croatia’s Dalmatian coast
- Head inland to explore the hilltop village of Motovun
Croatia is relatively small, making it easy to get around. Trains are extremely limited, so the most popular ways of getting around the country are by car or bus.
Renting a car is the best option if you’re looking for more flexibility in exploring the country. The roads in Croatia are safe and in good condition. (Search for a rental car here.)
The bus is another good option. Buses in Croatia are affordable and comfortable. They are good for getting around most of the country aside from the islands (which require taking a car or ferry). The main bus companies in Croatia are Autotrans, Croatia Bus, and Cazmatrans.
Where to stay in Croatia