Botswana is one of Africa’s most popular safari destinations, known for areas like Chobe National Park and the Okavango Delta that are teeming with wildlife. The majority of the country is covered by the Kalahari Desert, known for its unique bushmen culture.
Botswana quick facts
- Population: 2.25 million
- Language: English and Tswana
- Currency: Botswana Pula (BWP)
- Capital city: Gaborone
- Country size: 231,804 square miles
- High season: July through October
Top 10 things to do in Botswana
- Go for a safari in Chobe National Park
- Keep an eye out for leopards on a game drive at Moremi Game Reserve
- Learn about the San bushmen culture in the Kalahari Desert
- Take a traditional mokoro canoe ride through the Okavango Delta
- Try out a horseback safari for a unique experience
- Watch the sunset on a boat ride down the Chobe River
- Try seswaa, a slow-cooked meat dish that is Botswana’s national dish
- Spot the ancient rock art at Tsodilo, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Explore the rugged salt pans of Makgadikgadi
- Camp with elephants at Elephant Sands
Public transportation in Botswana is very limited, although traveling by bus is an option in some parts of the country.
The best way to get around Botswana is by car. Some visitors opt to rent a car and self-drive, while others may prefer to join a safari or overland tour instead.
Be the first to comment