Packing Guide: The Best Luggage and Bags for Travel

There are a lot of things to consider when planning a trip. Domestic trips come with questions like: How can I get there? and What is there to do? International trips come with extra questions like: Do I need a visa? What currency do they use? and How will I get around?

But there's one universal question that can apply to any trip, whether you're going halfway around the world or just to the next city over: What should I pack?

And the first thing to decide when it comes to packing for travel is what kind of luggage you're going to use.

There's SO MUCH luggage out there to choose from, and if you go into luggage shopping without an idea of what you need and want, you're likely to get overwhelmed by it all.

So, to help you out for your next adventure, here are all my recommendations for the best backpacks, luggage, and bags for travel.

Backpacks

As I've gotten older and my travel style has somewhat shifted, I've more or less hung up my backpacks, so to speak (they're actually currently sitting on a shelf in my closet). But for the first few years of my travels, I traveled almost exclusively with a backpack. And I can confidently say that there are some travel situations where they're just the right choice.

When backpacks are ideal: Backpacks are best for independent travel to destinations where you either a.) want to keep your belongings close on travel days or b.) will need to carry your bags over uneven ground or unpaved roads. Backpack-friendly trips that come to mind are non-luxury travel in Southeast Asia, when using public transport in most of South America, and overlanding trips in Africa.

And my top picks for travel backpacks are:

Kelty Redwing 44

I've had my Kelty Redwing since 2013, and it traveled around Europe with me for 3 months, and Southest Asia for nearly 2. I love how small this backpack is (it always kept me from over-packing), and love that it unzips fully to be front-loading. There are also some extra side and front pockets that make organizing easy, and the hip belt is comfortable to wear for long slogs to a hostel or hotel.

The only downside is that, when fully packed, the Kelty Redwing slightly too large to pass as a carry-on on most international airlines. But the upsides far outweigh this in my opinion!

Pacsafe Venturesafe EXP65

If you need something a little bigger, I recommend checking out the Pacsafe Venturesafe EXP65. This 65-liter backpack should be able to hold anything you could need for a longer trip (I honestly don't recommend going much larger, especially if you're petite!), and comes with the added bonus of all the anti-theft features that Pacsafe is so well-known for. This bag is made from slash-proof material, and has interlocking zippers to make it even more secure. It also has an internal frame and adjustable back harness to make carrying everything more comfortable.

Suitcases / rolling bags

Backpacks aren't suitable for everyone or every trip, though. (And, to be honest, I've used a backpack only twice since 2013!) Sometimes a bag with wheels really is more convenient and therefore more ideal to travel with.

When rolling bags are ideal: I go for a rolling bag or suitcase for any trip when I know I won't need to carry my belongings for long distances or need to lift them over my head. They're best-suited to more developed destinations where you won't be pulling them over uneven ground or up/down lots of stairs. I've used rolling bags all over Europe, the US, and even New Zealand.

My favorite wheeled bags are:

Osprey Sojourn 60

I've had my Osprey Sojourn 60 for more than 3 years, and it's become my go-to bag for trips of any length because it's so sturdy and versatile. This 25-inch bag does have a larger counterpart (an 80L version), but I like the 60-liter bag because it's manageable on public transport and still has plenty of room for everything I need to pack.

An added bonus to this bag is that it comes with removable backpack straps in a separate compartment in the back, meaning it's actually a hybrid bag. I've admittedly never used the backpack straps (I use the compartment for shoes and toiletries instead), but it's nice to have the option.

DELSEY hardside luggage

If a traditional suitcase is more your style, I would go with one of DELSEY's hard-sided spinner suitcases. I like this brand because they make quality hardside luggage that's actually pretty affordable. The suitcase pictured to the left is from DELSEY's Chatalet collection, which is possibly the most attractive hard-sided luggage I've ever seen! They come in 25-inch and 27-inch versions in either white or brown.

I also like DELSEY's new Cruise Lite line, which come with a TSA-friendly lock and a built-in luggage scale (how handy!). These ones come in 25-inch and 29-inch versions.

Carry-on only

Even though I usually just suck it up and check a bag on longer trips (it helps when you get free checked bags through mileage programs/airline credit cards), there are plenty of times when I don't need to pack so much. In that case, having good carry-on-only options is a must.

When going carry-on-only is ideal: For shorter trips when you don't need to pack as much, traveling with just a carry-on bag is a no-brainer. It's also smart to do when you have really short layovers or multiple layovers on a long international trip (because lost/delayed luggage is never fun!).

My favorite carry-on-friendly bags right now include:

Osprey Farpoint 40

For a backpack that's carry-on-friendly, my pick is the Osprey Farpoint 40. This bag is well-made like all of Osprey's gear, and comes with plenty of pockets (including one in the front for a laptop). I like that it has padded straps and a hip belt that can be stowed away when you don't need them. I've used mine so far on a couple trips in the US, and am happy to report that this bag works fine as a carry-on on even the most picky budget airlines. (Though note that it's *not* small enough to pass as a free “personal item.”)

DELSEY Cruise Lite

Do you prefer a carry-on that has wheels? A lot of people do, and I agree that they're often much more convenient (plus then you can bring a small backpack as your personal item!). My favorite carry-on suitcase also comes from DELSEY's new Cruise Lite line. They were nice enough to send me their 21-inch hardside spinner, which is going to be perfect for domestic and even some shorter international trips – it even has a laptop compartment in the front!

(If you travel a lot within Europe, check out the smaller 19-inch version of this bag, which complies with most international carry-on size restrictions.)

Personal items

Charging for carry-on bags is unfortunately becoming the industry standard for many airlines, but so far you're still allowed to bring a “personal item” onboard for free! Usually this means a small backpack, tote, or handbag that can fit under the seat in front of you.

I've tried out a lot of different personal-item-complying bags over the years, and these are my current favorites:

Pacsafe Camsafe V17

Now that I'm traveling with a lot more camera equipment, I've shifted over to taking a camera-focused bag as my main carry-on. And the Pacsafe Camsafe V17 is my new go-to. Like all of Pacsafe's bags, this backpack has anti-theft features like slash-proof material and secure zippers. It also has a laptop sleeve and a separate compartment with dividers made for camera gear, which holds my mirrorless camera and one extra lens.

(There's also a larger version of this bag here, but note that this one is too big to fit under an airplane seat.)

STM Drifter

The STM Drifter is a great choice for those who don't need a dedicated camera bag like I do. This slim little backpack will easily fit under any airplane seat and has “floating” pockets for a laptop or tablet, giving your devices a little extra padding. The Drifter also has a ridiculous amount of pockets, which is a must-have for any organizational freak (like me!).

Travelon Bucket Bag

Lastly, a cross-body bag is a must for any traveling woman – and one that is anti-theft is even better. This Cross-Body Bucket Bag is made by Travelon, and is a nice mix of form and function. It's not ugly, is big enough for everything I would want to take with me for a day (my camera, wallet, Kindle, a scarf or sweater, etc.), and I also love the side pockets for water bottles or an umbrella. And as an added bonus it's made from slash-proof materials and has RFID-blocking card slots inside.

So there you have it: the best luggage and bags for travel, based on my opinion and experience. Hopefully I've given you some inspiration for your next trip!

For more of my packing tips, check out my Packing Lists page, and my favorite travel gear from 2016.

What are some of YOUR favorite bags or luggage brands for travel?

The best luggage and bags for travel

*Note: This post does contain some affiliate links, which means if you purchase something after clicking on one of them, I may earn a small commission (at no extra cost to you, of course!). I also have received a couple of these bags for free over the years, but the fact that I'm still using them should tell you that I really do love them!

• Rebecca says:

My carry-on luggage right now is a Herschel Duffel. I love it, but it doesn’t make a great carry-on … I’ve actually been looking to switch to a roller.

Ah yeah, duffels are tough! They’re handy for certain things, but aren’t always ideal when you have to lug them around an airport! When I’m traveling domestically (and usually for a week or less), a roller is definitely what I choose to use.

• Cathy says:

I need to work on downsizing what I pack. This would help immensely!

• Gillyan Claire says:

That Delsey carry-on looks perfect for me!! I fly back and forth from California to NY (way too often!) and could definitely benefit from such an awesome little suitcase.

It’s a great bag! Super light, rolls easily, and is made with function in mind! I usually travel with a separate backpack for my laptop/tech gear, but I love that the Delsey carry-on has a dedicated pocket for a laptop in the front – definitely handy!

• I use my Dad’s old backpack from the 1970s or 1980s.
    Some parts of it are ripped or broken. It’s clumsy. It’s ugly.

I have been to 51 countries so far.
    Probably because I don’t spend money on new stuff when the old stuff is still working.

Gear is not important. Your spirit is.

• massachuseats says:

Thanks for the tip on the “personal item” bags – definitely something I want to look into!

• Mike says:

I love new luggage. I would take mine with me to Colombia next year.

• Debra Willer says:

I love my Overland Equipment Donner bag-similar in style to the Travelon bag you feature. It’s gone on every overseas vacation with me–lots of room for maps, snacks, water bottle, and a raincoat. Unfortunately, I don’t think they make them anymore…Hope it’s got a few more trips left in it!

I have a Donner bag, too!! And I agree that it’s one of the best. But yes, unfortunately they don’t make them any longer, so sadly I can’t recommend them to people any more. 🙁

• Krina says:

I have used the Farpoint 40 as a carry-on for domestic and international travel. I love it. I prefer to not check a bag if I don’t have to and for the last 3 years this bag, plus a personal bag, have met my needs.

• Caitlyn says:

My favorite piece of luggage is a North Face duffel, mainly because I can stuff it full and then compress it down. If I win the new bag, I will be taking it to Lisbon for a conference I have!

• Bret Love says:

That Delsey Hardside is a beauty. Have you ever tested Eagle Creek’s wheel Rollers? Mary got one last year, and I was jealous we ended up getting another. We always travel carry-on only, so being able to roll through airports without straining our arms is a dream.

• Zoe says:

Great to know when I go travelling to USA!

• Sarah Morlock says:

I’ve had the same bag for the last six years of long-term travel. It’s now falling apart, and I have to admit, I’m a little heartbroken. 🙁 Looking at new bags now. My boyfriend wants one of the Northface duffles, but I’m partial to the Pacsafes.

• Tana Henry says:

Do you have a recommendation for a lightweight wheeled duffel? I’m in the market for one. It’s amazing to me how much the luggage alone often weighs, so lightweight is key. Thanks!
    Tana Henry recently posted..February 2017 Goal Check In

I personally have never traveled with a wheeled duffel (a wheeled backpack has always just made more sense to me!), so I’m afraid I don’t have any personal recommendations. I know both the North Face and Patagonia make wheeled duffels, but I don’t have any idea whether either of them make lightweight ones.

• Anne S says:

My current favorite luggage is a Swiss army brand rolling suitcase. However, since it was a gift, I was given the all black one so it is not very distinct when getting it from planes. That’s why I would love a new bag from Delsey!!

Ahhh yes, the black luggage problem! I always recommend getting a really distinct luggage tag, and/or tying something recognizable onto your luggage handle to help you spot it more easily!

• Jess says:

My favorite piece of luggage is totally unconventional but my carry on (I always check a bigger bag too) has long been a Pottery Barn diaper bag. It’s totally cute and functional and full of pockets but doesn’t scream diaper bag.

• Thomas Heyn says:

I like the Rick Steves backpack that fits the maximum requirements for airline carry-on. Just returned from a 2 week trip to India and it worked great.

• Tom says:

I would use the new bag on a trip to Korea.

• Austin says:

I was just looking at these Delsey bags on Amazon! I need a small, functional carry on for my upcoming trip to Spain. The one I have now is way too heavy and bulky. Thanks for the recommendations!

I’m taking my Delsey bag to the UK this weekend, and am looking forward to finally having a quality rolling bag to use! (The last time I got a new carry-on roller, I was in college… haha.)

• laurie says:

I would take my Delsey winning luggage back to my previous hometown of London!

• Kristin says:

I enjoyed reading this. I’ve just begun traveling and invested in the Farpoint 55L backpack for my trips to Scotland and Mexico. I love it! Not too big, easy access and comfortable. I’m planning multiple long weekend trips to Nashville, Virginia and California this year and the Delsey Hard-side Carry On would be perfect for those trips!

Osprey makes such great backpacks! They’re definitely one of my favorite brands. Though, for rolling bags, Delsey sure makes some great ones – good luck!

• Nicole says:

I would love to take my new carry-on to Costa Rica!

• Kelly says:

I mostly use my eBags Motherlode Weekender Junior backpack — it forces me not to overpack!
    Kelly recently posted..Ethical Clothing Companies with Cruelty-Free Vegan Options, and Why You Should Care About Your Clothes

• Rachel says:

Great list! We love Osprey Farpoint 40. We are traveling the world for a year and only packed in that bag.It’s been very good to us!

• Linda says:

I really like the look of Delsey. I am going to Europe this summer and I think it would be perfect!

They make some very nice-looking luggage! I love that it looks expensive, but doesn’t quite have the price tag of some of the top name brands.

• Beth says:

I don’t have a favorite yet but have been considering switching to carry on only.

It’s definitely more convenient in situations where you have short layovers, or when you just don’t want to wait around the baggage carousel. That being said, though, there are some trips when I just can’t fit everything into a carry-on bag!

• Audrey says:

I’m all about the Osprey Sojourn and I wish I’d invested in one sooner! I’ve had it for a couple of years now and it’s saved my back. I also love that the wheels are much larger and sturdier than your average wheeled suitcase, which means it can handle rough terrain. I hardly ever have to use the straps!
    Audrey recently posted..How to spend 3 days in Agra and see the Taj from every angle!

Same! My Sojourn is a BEAST, and handles just about everything. I had the first sign of wear on it at the end of last year (almost 3 years after I started using it), and it’s just part of a plastic strap holder that cracked off. Not bad for how often I use it!

• Ashley v says:

I like my rolling carry-on suitcase. I honestly have no idea what brand it is, and I have to borrow it from my parents, but it’s a great suitcase!

• Hayley says:

For longer trips, and backpacking, I like to bring my Osprey 75 pack (not sure of the exact model since it’s a few years old and hiding in the trunk of my car right now) and my Osprey Daylite pack which clips onto the larger backpack. If it’s a shorter trip, I have a neon green and pink flowered kids rolling backpack from Target. It’s the perfect size for a week long trip and it stands out at luggage claim. For carrying my electronics (I work remotely full time so I have to bring a lot with me), I have my custom Rickshaw backpack. I love the look of both the Delsey rolling bags.

• Natalie says:

I just finished a week in Mexico and both my husband and I used backpacks. We fit our kids’ clothes in them, too. And carried car seats. We didn’t have to check luggage that way.

When we go back to Mexico next month, I would like a sturdy rolling carry on to strap one of the car seats to. That would make life easier!
    Natalie recently posted..I’m Moving to Another Country in 2 Months?!

• Peggy says:

I recently went on a 9-day overseas trip and brought a samsonite carry on spinner and osprey porter 32 inch. I can’t do without the spinner wheels. They are a lifesaver!

• Ijana Loss says:

I’ve debated getting a rolling suitcase for a long time. I’ve never justified spending the money when I have 2 perfectly functional backpacks, but a roller sure would be easier in places with good sidewalks! And hey, if I win then it’s free so no money spent!

• Courtney says:

I haven’t done a ton of traveling so this is all great info. I’m headed to New Zealand in may 🤗

• Becky says:

I love your tips and suggestions on the different types of luggage. I have a couple of duffel bags, roller suitcases, and carry on bags. It’s always depended on where my destination is and what I plan to do. For the most part I prefer my roller luggage, because I hate lugging super heavy bags. However, backpacks are great especially when I plan to do a lot of hiking. It’s crazy to see how many different types of luggage are out there.

I’m the same way! My luggage is totally dependent on the length of trip I’m taking and where I’m heading. (But I’ll always be a roller bag girl at heart – I hate carrying heavy things!)

• Nikki says:

I love hard shell luggage! I have been eyeing up the Delsey Chatelet hard shell in champaign. I’m just worried it wouldn’t stay white very long. It’s so chic looking though!

I LOVE that bag, too (also in white), but I had the same thoughts. Especially when you have to gate-check your bag, it gets abused just as much as regular luggage! I’m loving my CRUISE Lite in blue so far though.

• Ann says:

I’ve been looking for a new carry on for my trip to Europe this summer! 😄

• pam says:

great post! helpful tips for luggage for my next trip to seattle.

• Sandra says:

My carry on has a bum wheel at the moment. And wheels are not particularly cheap to fix so I’ve found out. I tend to use something until it totally gives up on me which I fear will be happening quite soon. Thanks for all your great recs!

• Flora says:

Have you ever taken a look at Eagle Creek Gear Hauler? It looks a little different as the straps come out of the compartment access area. I used it for my luggage when I went to Cuba for a week and it was surprisingly comfortable!

• Lauren says:

That Delsey carry-on sounds amazing! I would love to take one on a long weekend to Aruba in April! 🙂

• Hannah Bowden says:

It’s so great to see the Osprey Farpoint 40 on here! I end up seeing it on pretty much every backpack/luggage post that I come across. I decided awhile back it was the one I wanted. Always nice to have confirmation that I made the right choice!

• I LOVE Delsey. I got their laptop bag at WITS last year and it’s my favorite bag ever. It’s actually big enough for my laptop and all the other work stuff I need, a water bottle, and a few snacks. And it still magically fits under the seat in front of me on pretty much any airplane. When I can justify buying a new rolling suitcase, it’s going to be from Delsey. Although I do love my bright purple Pierre Cardin luggage, too. I’ve had it ten years and it still looks almost new.
    Erin Southerland recently posted..The Cutest B&B in Naples, Italy: B&B Dimora dei Giganti

• Erin says:

Question! I’m heading to England next month and I’m trying to figure out what bag to bring. I’m going to fly into and out of London. I’ll be taking the train into London, then onto Oxford and Bath. Once I get to Bath, I’m renting a car to drive around the Cotswolds. I want to bring a light, roller bag but I’m not sure if I should due to riding the train into London and onto Oxford/Bath. What do you think? Thanks in advance!

As long as it’s not a huge rolling bag, you should be fine. I take bags onto trains in the UK all the time! It does help if it’s small/light enough for you to lift it over your head – the regular luggage racks on trains fill up quickly, so if it’s small enough to fit over you seat that’s definitely a bonus.

• lucy says:

Hi Amanda
    Do you have any suggestion for a good luggage with waterproof and lighweight. and could carry upto 60kg

Most good backpacks will come with a waterproof cover! But I don’t have any specific recommendations beyond what you’ll find in this post.

• Isaac says:

Hey Amanda, great post. I like to travel lean so I only have small backpacks but recently, my travelling habits have called for bigger luggage. Having been made by a traveller, your post is a lot reliable and I will refer to it when it comes time to buy. Thanks!

• I recently made the switch from a backpack to a rolling backpack for my travels and I’m in love! I bought the Osprey Sojourn 60L, it fits everything I need while still being light and comfortable. I love that I can roll the bag when conditions/streets allow but easilly pull out the straps and put it on my back when the going gets rough. It’s a real quality piece of kit and it gets my recomendation!
    Adventograher recently posted..Best Rolling Backpacks for Travel