“It’s a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and, if you don’t keep your feet, there’s no telling where you might be swept off to.”
– J.R.R. Tolkien
Traveling can be sort of magical. It’s unpredictable and beautiful and sometimes downright confusing. But that’s the beauty of it — you never really know what to expect when you pack that bag and leave home behind. I really identify with this Tolkien quote (what can I say, I’m a little hobbity!), and have therefore loosely themed my blog around it.
I think one of the best things about traveling is the ability to just get lost in it. To set aside the maps and itineraries (although I also love those, too), and just see where the road carries you off to, learning and evolving and living in the moment along the way.
It’s my goal to get swept off as often as possible.
Who Am I?
My name is Amanda, and I like to travel.
Oh, you already figured that part out? Okay then. Here’s the brief history of my life:
I grew up on a Christmas tree farm in a small Ohio town with a good football team and even better marching band (go Raiders!). Nothing incredibly exciting happened there, except for the time in the early 90s when my neighbor (who was a mob boss) got shot and killed in his driveway.
I was the geeky, smart kid in school. I liked horses and books and “Harry Potter.” I did competitive gymnastics and tried out for school musicals. I wore a lot of tie-dye.
It was in high school that I decided that I wanted to travel. I was obsessed with the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy, and vowed that I would save my money so that I could go to New Zealand after I graduated. It was all over after that. I ended up going to New Zealand with my mom for two weeks in 2005, and I’ve been swatting at that pesky travel bug ever since.
Since that first big adventure abroad in 2005, I have been to more than 30 countries on 4 continents, and am always on the lookout for my next big adventure, be it on the other side of the world, or just around the corner.
Because, when it comes to travel, there’s no “best” or “right” way to do it. You could fly 10,000 miles to have an adventure, or you could simply walk down the street and discover something new. Unlike some travel bloggers, I’ve never given up my “normal” life to travel long-term.
And guess what? You don’t have to, either. And hopefully this site and my stories will convince you of that.
Here’s more stuff to know about me:
The important things:
- I have a journalism degree under my belt, which I hope to one day use to rid the world of bad grammar and “there, their, they’re” confusion.
- I also have a master’s degree in hospitality and tourism management.
- Contrary to popular belief, I do not travel full-time.
- I like to consider myself to be mildly adventurous and open to new things (though not necessarily when it comes to food).
- I have a minor in German, but can’t speak it at all.
The less important (but probably more interesting) things:
- One of my past jobs consisted of designing pages for a newspaper.
- I love the scent of freshly-cut grass.
- I have been bungy jumping four times, and am always up for doing it again.
- Fall is my favorite time of year, though I don’t like that it leads to winter.
- I took Irish Step Dancing lessons in high school.
- My favorite color is green.
- I really hate all things “Twilight.” (See here if you do, too.)
- To contradict the previous statement, I like chick flicks, no matter how corny or predictable they are.
- I can write my name upside down.
- I like crossing things off lists (like my bucket list).
- If I weren’t a traveler, I would most definitely be a cat lady.
Interviews With Me
In case you still haven’t learned enough, check out these interviews starring yours truly to learn more about how/why/where I travel:
- At Go, See, Write
- At No Place to Be
- At Finding the Universe
- At This is My Happiness
- At Yahoo! Finance Canada
- At Hello Giggles
- At VisitScotland’s blog about my Hogmanay experience
- At Misadventures With Andi
- At My Destination
- At NZ Muse
- At Flip Nomad
- At Travel Trolley
Good Posts to Read
Want to get to know me EVEN BETTER? Check out these posts:
Want to get in touch with me? Here’s how.
Other Fun Stuff
Check out some of my guest blogs, as well as where else I’ve been featured around the travel blogosphere by clicking here.
Want to know what goes in my backpack or suitcase? Check out my Packing List page!
Curious about where I turn to search for flights or book a hotel? Head over to my Travel Resources page for lots of great tips and secrets.