Thailand, known as the Land of Smiles, is one of the most popular destinations for travelers in Southeast Asia. Thailand has something to offer everyone, from stunning beaches to bustling cities to laid-back mountain towns.
Thailand quick facts
- Population: 69 million
- Language: Thai
- Currency: Thai Baht (THB)
- Capital city: Bangkok
- Country size: 198,117 square miles
- High season: November to March
Top 10 things to do in Thailand
- Visit the Grand Palace in Bangkok
- Go kayaking in Krabi
- Visit the stunning White Temple in Chiang Rai
- Relax in the mountain town of Pai
- Have an ethical elephant experience
- Get scuba certified on Koh Tao
- Stroll around the Night Bazaar in Chiang Mai
- Visit Thailand’s stunning beaches
- Attend the Yi Peng Lantern Festival
- Go hiking in Khao Yai National Park
Within the cities, tuk tuks and motorcycle taxis are common for getting around. In Bangkok, Thailand’s largest city, you can also take the MRT (subway) or the BTS Skytrain. Songthaews (pick-up trucks) are another option in smaller towns.
For covering long distances, buses and trains are your best option. Both are slow but affordable. If you’re visiting the Thai islands, taking the ferry is an inexpensive way to get around.
Where to stay in Thailand