Tanzania is a country in East Africa that has something to offer for every traveler.
Home to Mount Kilimanjaro, Tanzania draws thrill-seekers attempting to summit Africa’s tallest peak. If climbing mountains isn’t your thing, Tanzania is also known for its incredible beaches, particularly on the island of Zanzibar. Tanzania also boasts some of the best safari spots in Africa, including Serengeti National Park and the Ngorongoro Crater.
Tanzania quick facts
- Population: 56.3 million
- Language: Swahili and English
- Currency: Tanzanian Shilling (TZS)
- Capital city: Dodoma
- Country size: 364,900 square miles
- High season: Dry season (June through October)
Top 10 things to do in Tanzania
- Have an unforgettable safari in Serengeti National Park
- Trek Mount Kilimanjaro, Africa’s highest peak
- Explore the “natural zoo” of the Ngorongoro Crater
- Go snorkeling with whale sharks on Mafia Island
- Visit the chimpanzees at Gombe National Park
- Explore Stone Town, a UNESCO World Heritage Site on Zanzibar
- Check out Tanzania’s impressive Kalambo Falls
- Spend the day relaxing on one of Zanzibar’s beaches
- Relax at the Kikuletwa hot springs
- Have lunch at The Rock, one of the world’s most unique restaurants
The best way to get around Tanzania is by car. Some visitors opt to rent a car and self-drive, while others may prefer to join a safari or overland tour instead.
For reaching Zanzibar from the mainland, you can either take a flight or ferry. The ferry is much more affordable and offers a scenic journey.
Where to stay