Costa Rica is known as the adventure capital of Central America with many activities like ziplining, surfing, whitewater rafting, caving, and hiking to enjoy.
Also known for its biodiversity and wildlife, Costa Rica contains varied landscapes ranging from jungles to beaches, and is home to animals including sloths and jaguars.
Costa Rico quick facts
- Population: 4.9 million
- Language: Spanish
- Currency: Costa Rica Colón (CRC)
- Capital city: San Jose
- Country size: 19,730 square miles
- High season: Late November to mid April
Top 10 things to do in Costa Rica
- Hang out with sloths at the Sloth Sanctuary
- Soak in the hot springs at Lake Arenal
- Hike to the top of Arenal Volcano
- Go whitewater rafting at La Fortuna
- Walk through the clouds on the hanging bridges at Monteverde
- Go ziplining above the rainforest
- Learn how to surf at Playa Tamarindo
- Admire the Nauyaca Waterfall
- Get off the grid at one of Costa Rica’s many eco lodges
- Try gallo pinto, the national dish of Costa Rica
Renting a car is the easiest and most flexible way to get around Costa Rica. Most roads are in good condition, although more rural roads will require a 4×4 vehicle. (Search for rental cars here.)
Another popular option for getting around in Costa Rica is by hiring a private or shared shuttle. This is a good choice if you don’t want to drive, and most shuttle companies have routes between all the popular tourist destinations.
For the budget-conscious traveler, public buses are the most affordable transportation option in Costa Rica.
Where to stay