Kenya is a country in East Africa known for its scenic landscapes and diverse wildlife. One of the most popular safari destinations in Africa, Kenya is home to the incredible Maasai Mara National Reserve. Much more than just a safari destination, Kenya also boasts stunning beaches and a world-class capital city.
Kenya quick facts
- Population: 51.4 million
- Language: Swahili and English
- Currency: Kenyan Shilling (KES)
- Capital city: Nairobi
- Country size: 224,081 square miles
- High season: June through October
Top 10 things to do in Kenya
- Go for a safari in the Maasai Mara
- Interact with giraffes during breakfast at Giraffe Manor
- Explore Kenya’s capital Nairobi through a walking tour
- Go flamingo-spotting at Lake Nakuru
- Watch the Great Migration in the Maasai Mara
- Head to Diani, one of Africa’s best beach destinations
- Enjoy views of Mount Kilimanjaro at Amboseli National Park
- Adopt a baby elephant at the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust
- Go for a hot air balloon ride above the savanna
- Trek Mount Kenya, Africa’s second-highest peak
In order to visit the national parks and reserves, you can either rent your own car or join an organized safari or overland tour (I'd recommend an organized tour!).
To get around cities and towns in Nairobi, matatus (minibuses) are the cheapest and most common form of local transportation.
Where to stay