3.5K Flares 3.5K Flares ×

Most people don’t necessarily equate “Romania” with “cool travel destination.”

This Eastern European country between Hungary and Bulgaria isn’t usually a place people have high up on their must-visit lists. Romania is where communism and vampires live — not somewhere you travel to for fun. Right?

Well, that couldn’t be farther from the truth.

While Romania is still developing after the fall of Ceausescu and communism (and most will say communism hasn’t fully left), it’s a much easier and interesting place to travel than you probably realize.

(And, for the record, I didn’t see a single vampire while I was there.)

Romania

Romania, in short, blew me away. I had been looking forward to traveling there for years, but the country far exceeded my expectations. And here’s why:

Why You Should Travel to Romania Right Now

It’s cheap

Cheaper even than the Czech Republic and Hungary, Romania should be attractive just because of its price tag. Everything from accommodation to transport to food is affordable. Even the “touristy” places are far from expensive.

For example, in Brasov — one of Romania’s top tourist destinations for both domestic and foreign tourists — entry to the major attraction (Bran Castle) was only $7 USD for an adult ticket with photo license. The most expensive meal I had in the country (at a really posh restaurant) was $12 — the cheapest was less than $3. You can only imagine how cheap beer was.

Brasov, Romania

It’s beautiful

The countryside, the medieval cities, the people… Romania has plenty of surprises in store.

Cities like Sighisoara and Brasov are ridiculously attractive and colorful, and the rolling countryside remains largely untouched in most parts of the country. And the locals? Lovely people who will undoubtedly be happy to see you and happier still to talk to you about their country.

Rasnov Fortress, Romania

Sighisoara, Romania

It’s relatively easy to travel

One of the biggest surprises for me was how easy it was to get around Romania. The country is fairly well-connected by trains, buses, and planes to the rest of Europe, and you can even use your Eurail pass here.

And, out of all the public trains and buses I rode while in Romania, only one was old and slightly dirty. Most were newer and clean — some even had air conditioning! And the best part? Every single train and bus I rode actually ran on time! (Not necessarily always the case, of course, but no delays in a week is pretty good.)

Romania

Everyone speaks English

Adding to the ease of travel is the fact that almost everyone in the country speaks at least a little English — especially those in the younger generations. This makes it easy to not only travel in Romania, but also to get to know the locals a bit.

Viscri, Romania

It’s not too crowded yet

Because Romania (and, really, most of Eastern Europe) is quite a ways off the usual tourist trail, even the “touristy” places feel relaxed and welcoming — even in high season. The only place I really found to be crowded was Bran Castle — but there are plenty of better things/places to see anyway.

Viscri, Romania

Old traditions survive

Since Romania isn’t teeming with tourists, older traditions — like making homemade schnapps and weaving and woodcarving — are still going strong.

You can still find quirky places like Merry Cemetery that nobody knows about. Villages still feel like villages. And the cows still come home at night.

Viscri, Romania

Merry Cemetery, Romania

It’s ready for tourism

Because of the above reasons and more, Romania is very much ready for tourism.

Bucharest has a brand new subway system and buses equipped with GPS-enabled screens. Villages like Viscri are converting old heritage buildings into home stays. And nearly everywhere offers visitors free wifi access.

Sighisoara, Romania

But this won’t all last, of course. As the country continues to develop and Romania’s economy improves (likely to happen once it officially joins the Schengen zone soon), many of these reasons may become irrelevant.

So, if you’ve ever considered traveling in Romania, go now!

Do you think you’ll ever travel to Romania?

*Note: Intrepid Travel graciously provided me with a complimentary 18-day tour through Eastern Europe. But all opinions, as always, are entirely my own.

171 Responses to Traveling in Romania (and Why You Should Go Right Now)

1. Charles McCool says:

Wonderful! I have wanted to visit Romania since I learned that my great-grandparents were from there. One day…
    Charles McCool recently posted..8 Great Things To Do In Georgetown (Washington, DC)–Not Including Cupcakes

You should definitely go! Do you know where your family was from? It would be cool to visit their village!

• Jean-Alain GRUMBACH says:

Why only “one day….” ???
      Come now and enjoy Romania as long as it still isn’t crowded.
      I’m certain you want regret it.

2. Cody Markin says:

Awesome post! anna go there so bad. I will one day for sure!

3. cindy says:

I’ve thought about it, but your posts have moved it way up higher on the list! Thanks for all the good info.
    cindy recently posted..Photo Thursday: Alaskan Summer Chiller

4. What a great post! I actually went to Romania in the summer of 1989, just months before the people ousted (and murdered) Ceausescu. It was a beautiful country then, but the control of the communist govt was everywhere. I look forward to checking it out again with new eyes…and maybe this time, Bram’s Castle won’t be under renovations. We couldn’t see hardly any of it.

I’d be really interested to hear how you think present-day Romania compares to the Romania you saw in 1989! I think you should definitely go back for another visit.

• you won’t recognise the country. Especially the cities, they changed a lot!

• Jean-Alain GRUMBACH says:

Susan, not the people ‘murdered’ Ceausescu’.
      It’s not Bram’s Castle but Bran Castle.
      And last but not least, you really should come back to Romania. It has changed a lot, although there are still plenty of untouched locations in the countryside. If you love nature, you will like it.
      Come and see today’s Romania, you will always be welcome.

5. Mac says:

Visited Romania in 2007 and again in 2008 (LOVED it both times). Visited for one month in 2007 and three months in 2008 (now I am considering a retirement there in the northern city of Baia Mare). The people of Romania are the friendliest and. I’ve made great friends there.
    Thanks for your travel insight, it brought back fond memories :)) (for sure) … all of the places you’ve mentioned I’ve been to, remember to visit Peles Castle YOU’LL LOVE IT!

I’ve been to Baia Mare! The Maramures region was actually my favorite part of Romania, I think. It would make a lovely retirement spot!

6. Mac says:

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Make sure and also visit the monasteries in the north eastern part of the country (you definitely will NOT be disappointed).

7. Megan Coxe says:

I should have gone last year when I had a friend from there to visit! It’s been on my list for a while, but I’m happy to see that you also recommend it. Next time I’m in Europe it will have to be on my list!

8. Candice says:

Did you say “cheap”? I love cheap.

Those grave markers are unreal!
    Candice recently posted..Budapest’s glorious ruin pubs

9. Andrei says:

Romania is already officially in the EU (joined in 2007). You are probably thinking about the Schengen area.
    Andrei recently posted..Industrial Landscape

Hmm, maybe. They’re not on the Euro yet though, I know, so they’re not completely part of the EU yet!

• Actually, Romania is a full member of the European Union since 2007. You don’t need to be on the Euro to be part of the European Union, look at united kingdom, denmark or sweden.

I personally hope we never go on the Euro, we are not ready and we will never be ready for that, nobody wants another “Greek crisis” inside UE.
        Cristian Balau recently posted..Iron Products for Home

Ah okay. Well then I have no idea what people were referring to when they were talking about something happening in Romania later this year connected to them being in the EU!

10. I’m heading back to Europe soon and have been thinking about spending some time in the East. I’ve never been there and have been avoiding it because I figured it would be a little on the expensive side, but apparently that’s not the case, at least not in Romania. I think you may have given me the final push needed. Time to do some research…
    Daniel McBane recently posted..Thieving Monkeys in Lop Buri, Thailand

Definitely look into it, Daniel. Eastern Europe, for the most part, is VERY affordable – the opposite of expensive!!

11. You are very persuasive here.. sold me! Looks gorgeous and as you said.. cheap is a big plus. I’m curious what you got for that $12 meal?
    Escaping Abroad recently posted..Ziplining In Belize

Haha, yay, sold another person on Romania! I think their tourist board should start paying me a referral fee. ;)

I can’t remember exactly what I had for $12. I think it was a big pitcher of homemade lemonade, a traditional stuffed cabbage entree, and bread.

• Scottie Nichols says:

Love Romania was married there in march 2010 seen Brasov, Bucharest, and Costanta love winter weather and was just as happy as can be. Been back twice since and love the currency exchange and the fact i got married march 1 st which is a RO holiday

• you will get a very tasty and healthy meal for $12. A pint of a very good beer is about $1

12. couldnt agree more!!! I loved Romania. I had never even heard of it before I went there. its also a real eye opener to the world of communism since it wasn’t so long ago that they were a communist country.
    Rebecca Kroegel recently posted..Chapter 28: BT Art box hunt – Part 2 [1]

I traveled through quite a few former communist nations on this trip, and I agree that it’s an eye-opening experience. Glad to hear you loved Romania, too!

13. Romania looks beautiful! Really looking forward to going there .. hopefully soon :)
    Dani | Globetrottergirls recently posted..What I Wonder When I Wonder: I Think A Podcast Saved My Life (plus a chance to win $300)

14. wandergirl says:

I would think the vampires thing would be a selling point now! ;)

I’m going to be in England for a wedding next summer, and am trying to plan some sort of European trip around it. I was thinking Austria/Germany, but all these Eastern European posts definitely have me intrigued (and I like the sounds of the price tag!)
    wandergirl recently posted..A short post about all the Londons in the world…

Hahaha, true about the vampires….

If you’re considering a few European countries next summer, I would definitely nominate Hungary and Romania! Both amazing, both cheap, and both relatively easy to travel around.

• Europe has a very large mixture of culture in a relatively small area. won’t find that anywhere in the world

15. I will definitely visit Romania and soon too! I really would love to experience that “old Europe” feel before it becomes too touristy. All your pictures have sold me on this exceptionally beautiful country but I really want to see a vampire :)
    Debbie Beardsley @ European Travelista recently posted..InterRail: A Book Review

You’ll have to try harder than I did to find a vampire, then! ;)

And yes, definitely go see this part of Europe now, before the rest of the world discovers how cool it is!

16. Tom says:

Ahhh, Romania looks great! I’m living in Europe at the moment, so I should really try to head over there at some point – you make it sound nice :) I love that shot with the orange building!
    Tom recently posted..Rotterdam Skate Night: Wednesday Summers From The Balcony

17. I’m sold! It looks GORGEOUS!!!!!

18. Arti says:

Romania looks cool! They would do well to choose you as the official Tourism Brand Ambassador! You have done a fabulous job of showcasing the country to us :)
    Arti recently posted..Happy Raksha Bandhan

19. Leona says:

I’d live to go but nervous to go alone. Any good recommendations on shorter tours or tour companies as the 18 day intrepid is too long and can’t find any others? Absolutely love to go!! Cheers!

Hmm, I’m afraid I don’t really have any other tours to recommend, since I’ve only been to Romania with Intrepid. I realize that an 18-day tour might be too long, though! My advice would be to do some searching online, or maybe even try talking to a local travel agent?

20. Erik says:

Romania certainly has been gaining notice on the blogosphere recently! As always, great pics.

21. Cherina says:

No vampires? Bummer ;) Otherwise Romania looks amazing! I’m one of the few who actually do have this place on my ‘list’ – great to see how much you enjoyed it, Amanda. Love the pics!
    Cherina recently posted..Italy In Photos: Florence and Tuscany

22. Ali says:

There really aren’t too many places I don’t want to travel to, especially in Europe, so this has been on my list for awhile simply because it’s THERE. But your post helps explain all the great reasons to visit, and I’d really love to go see it all for myself!
    Ali recently posted..Driving Easter Island – Day 2

23. Waegook Tom says:

I wish I could get up and go there RIGHT NOW, but I have another 7.5 months left on my contract. It’ll have to wait until next summer. Romania has always been high up on my list of places I really, really want to visit and your post here has solidified that. The countryside looks stunning, the towns look so, so beautiful and colourful, and I like how you say it isn’t swarming with tourists just yet.

Also, kudos on Bucharest for getting GPS enabled buses?! Fancy schmancy!
    Waegook Tom recently posted..The Other Side of Korea

Definitely go when you can!! I’m not sure Romania will ever be as popular as, say, Germany or Spain, but I think people WILL start traveling more there soon – especially once the secret is out about how awesome it is!

24. I have been to Romania very long ago, in 1982. May be it is time to repeat visit.
    Victor Tribunsky recently posted..Petar I and His Baroque Church

25. Charles Rahm says:

Always nice, when the people speak a little English. :-) I’ve just recently been to Burma, where there is no English spoken except in the guesthouses. So I was a smiling tourist feeling dumb.
    Charles Rahm recently posted..Just a suggestion

26. daniela says:

Hello everyone!:) i’m romanian and i read some comments. i’m glad that most of you are very happy to visit my country.
    but most of people know Romania as the ex-communist and the Dracula’s land but belive me here are more awesome places to visit, for example the Danube delta. is the second largest delta in Europe or the old center of Bucharest,and something interesting is at the Museum of History (is in Bucharest) where you can see gold bracelets made 2000 years ago by the Dacians, our old ancestors.

As I’ve been telling people, Romania has a LOT to offer!

• daniela says:

yes, is true, but is still a “secret” place, and unfortunately we have 2-3 millions turists every year,and this is really low compared with France, Spain, Italy,etc…

Ah, but I think those tourist numbers will begin to rise – especially once the secret gets out! But hopefully it won’t become TOO popular. I mean, you wouldn’t want to be the next France or Spain, would you??

• one of Romania’s selling point is the low number of tourists. it’s an unspoiled land, with many secrets. beside, when you’re telling friends you’ve been to Romania, they will bomb you with questions

It’s true – people are very interested to hear about my time in Eastern Europe!

27. Radu says:

I’m really glad you enjoyed Romania! Too bad I did not find out about your blog earlier, otherwise I would have offered you a city tour in Bucharest…maybe next time! :) Also, thanks for spreading the word about Romania, it gets more negative press than it deserves.
    Radu recently posted..Bucharest Transportation

Aww, too bad! We did take a very nice city tour of Bucharest, though (I’ll actually be writing about it next week!).

And I’m happy to spread the word about Romania. Forget the politics and economics — from a travel standpoint, it’s an amazing place to go!

28. [...] 5 Things to Love About Sighisoara, Romania When the Cows Come Home City Spotlight: Brasov, Romania Traveling in Romania (and Why You Should Go Right Now) A Tale of Two Capitals: Bucharest and Sofia This is Bulgaria?!? Rila Monastery, In Photos My [...]

29. [...] ending in Bucharest, the country’s capital. I was blown away by how relatively easy it was to travel in Romania, along with the wealth of things to see and do there. I’ll definitely be back someday. Pretty [...]

30. Paula says:

I loved your post. I’m turning 45 this year and it has been my life long dream to visit Romania. I finally decided 2013 is the year and this July I will be spending a week in this beautiful land. I already had it planned, but your post just proved to me why I dreamed of going there. Most people don’t even know where the country is or that Transylvania is actually a REAL place.:) I’m so glad you had fun there; I’m sure I will, too.

That is awesome news, Paula! Congrats, and good for you! I hope you love Romania as much as I did. It’s definitely a special place!

• Andreea Soare says:

Hello! Did I see July 2013? Welcome! :)Wouldn’t heart to see the muddy volcanoes while you’re here :)

31. Wow! Romania wasn’t at the very top of my list but the pics make it look very inviting. You also make some very convincing arguments of why now is the best time. It looks like the countryside alone is worth the trip. Can’t wait to get back to Eastern Europe so we can explore Romania. :)
    Mindy and Ligeia recently posted..Traveling In and Out of the Closet

Now is most definitely a great time to go to Romania! And yes, the countryside alone would make it worth a trip in my opinion!

32. [...] been a surprisingly good approach to traveling. It has left me pleasantly surprised in places like Romania and Bulgaria; in Iceland and Slovenia. I’ve made some great memories, and learned a few [...]

33. [...] Of course no. After a simple and quick search, everything I could find online is how you can travel in Romania, not how is travel in Romania. And because I am the most sensitive guy on the planet, who previously lived on a puffy cloud I’m asking myself how can I avoid being molested by Dracula, bears, heat wave, dogs etc. because Romania is where communism and vampires live — not somewhere you travel to for fun. [...]

34. KatyJ. says:

Thanks for liking our country so much, Amanda! :) Makes me feel proud to be a Romanian, as I’ve never been before! You should try to visit the northern part of the country, next time you come here, and I specifically suggest you come to Bukovina, the place of so many traditions and hospitable people, and the landscape is awesome, too! :)
    Maybe one day I get to visit Ohio, and USA in general, I’ve been wanting that since I was a child!
    Greetings from Romania,
    Catalina

35. Alina says:

Hi there,
    You did a great job with this post and as a Romanian I need to thank you for the awesome articles you did about our country!
    I just want to add something: you found no vampires in Romania? That’s strange, as all Romanians are vampires :) Just check this website- http://allromaniansarevampires.com/ – and you will find why (together with other interesting info about the country and its people).
    Alina recently posted..Romania is utterly uncool, thank God

Thanks, Alina! It was my pleasure to write about Romania – I really did love it! It’s one of the top countries I suggest people visit these days.

Next time I’ll have to look more closely for those vampires! ;)

36. Adyku says:

Hey. I’m Romanian and I have traveled a little around Europe and I can assure you that I have never seen more beautiful natural places than in my country (yet).
    I totally agree this article, but i would like to make one observation: if you plan using trains for traveling, have a lot of patience. It depends a lot on the route, of course, but still… Some trains can get more than 2 hours (very very rarely) delay .

It’s great that you love your country so much and are so proud of it!

And yes, I think no matter where you’re traveling, you have to be prepared for train delays!

37. Uau, I am from Romania and I am stunned to see your optimism about traveling in Romania – it’s remarkable! Thank you for this great advertisement! There are lots of cheap and interesting places to visit in Romania indeed and tourists are (almost) welcome anytime.
    HolidayParadise recently posted..Comment on Cancun Holiday – 5 Stars New Year’s Eve Romantic Escapade by Din

38. Teo says:

Thank you so much for the wonderful review you gave my country. Yes, we are friendly to everyone as long as they are friendly to us. Therefore, all tourists are more than welcomed.
    My tip for all you future travellers is to get off the beaten road. You’ll find Lotus flowers on a thermal lake near Oradea (nord-west part of the country) and amazing old churches and monasteries in the whole eastern part. The Danube Delta is full of mosquitoes, but a good spray will allow you to discover a UNESCO world heritage site. Tragu Jiu is the place to check out and see where God gave man the power to bring a piece of heaven to Earth if you’re interested in some art too.
    I do have one request though: When you check out a museum, or anything of the sort, please pay the full $3-$7 entrance fee and the $5 photo-video fee. It means nothing to a westerner but it’s the difference between keeping a small museum open or closing it. Don’t be the family with made up badges that asks to enter for free since $12 for 4 people is nothing. We’ll let you in with a smile on our faces but you’ll hurt these friendly people more than you know and not just because of the money.
    Thanks again
    PS: I’m sure everyone here is nothing like that family, but spread the word as that was unfortunately not the only incident.

Thank you for the suggestions – and for making the point about paying those entrance and photo fees. It’s true for any destination!

39. Vlad says:

Hi there,
    first of all thanks for the beautiful things that you wrote about my country. It is indeed a beautiful country who surely can/will surprise anyone who will visit it.
    I would like to point some additional things also.
    Not only english is spreaded among the new generations. There are a lot of people, especially in center and north Romania, who speak german. There are also a lot of people who can at least understand spanish and italian.
    I would also recommend you the Danube delta, which is still wild and untouched by the civilisation. Mamaia sea resort, which rivals much known resorts like Ibiza. Peles castle which is not to far away from Bran castle, Sighisoara of course, Sibiu, the monasteries in Bucovina, Maramures. In Bucharest I would strongly recommend the old city center (newly restored), The Parliament Palace (“People House” as many romanians still call it) and the Village Museum. You could also hike and you’ll be very surprised how wild our forests still are (bears, foxes, wolves are something pretty common if you’ll gonna camp in tent).

P.S. It is very possible to be bothered by some things, most of them inherited from our communist past, but if you could ignore them, you’ll discover a beautiful country with nice people. After all the beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. :)

Have a wonderful day !

VS

Yes, I found a lot of German spoken there, too – probably because of the Saxon influence from the past.

Thanks for the suggestions. I did indeed visit some of the places you mentioned (like Sighisoara, Maramures, and the old city center in Bucharest).

40. Ionutz says:

If u go to romania when all muslims are on “ramadam” u’ll be surprised how many english/americans u’ll find in bucharest just drinking and having fun, transforming old center of bucharest in an very large pub….

41. Dorothea says:

Amanda, thank you for all the kind, beautiful words. It’s nice to see once in a while warm thoughts on Romania, and not just the usual gypsy, horse meat, vampires propaganda. :) It is indeed a beautiful country and I’m not just saying it because I’m a local, but rather because of my travel experiences of the past few years: I left my home country hating it and I returned just to fall in love with it for the first time.
    Dorothea recently posted..The easiest way to learn a language is to use it.

So good to hear that you’ve fallen in love with your home country – that’s wonderful.

And yes, Romania is MUCH more than gypsies and vampires! Well worth exploring.

42. kosty says:

allready posted some tips for you if you want to return to Romania (or if others want to come here) ina ddition to that, I think you shoul visit the North-Eastern area (Moldova region – not to be confused with The Republic of Moldova) which has plenty of amazing monasteries, churches and the romantic city of Iasi/Jassy and the mountain area Valea Prahovei/Prahova Valley, which lies between Brasov and Bucharest (btw Bucharest is also an interesting place to see, although, unlike the rest of Romania, it is kinda crowded and traffic is a pain unless you use the subway)

Thanks for these suggestions in addition to the others! I did visit Bucharest, as well, but definitely preferred the smaller towns and villages.

43. JOHaselhoef says:

We’re going next week and can’t wait… in great part our excitement is due to a Romanian man we met while finding a couchsurfing.com stay. He’s been helpful, fun, sweet, and oh so good about explaining so many things. I agree, Romania’s the place to be, and I haven’t even been there, yet.

44. Ciprian says:

Hello!

I am really glad that you came to Romania and you like it.
    I am from Romania and I can not get enough of it’s beauty.

Romania is blessed with all kinds of touristic attractions. You shuld come back one day and visit the rest of Romania.
    You have to visit The Muddy Volcanoes (I think that they are unique in the world), Bukovina with it’s monesteries with exterior paintings, Danube Delta (amaizing), Danube river, the sea side.

Romania has lot of potential for turism. You should come again. You have lot of others to discover!

45. The One says:

Glad you liked it here in our quaint little country. :D
    If you want to see real beauty however, I would recommend our mountains (Bucegi ones are the most accessible). The paths aren’t paved or anything and you have to be a little fit to climb, but it’s really not that difficult and it’s well worth it. To get the most of this experience I’d recommend spending the night in a mountain cabin. Malaiesti cabin is one of my personal favorites. It’s amazing there during summer. :D

46. Cristina says:

Romania is truly a beautiful country with much to offer. If you are interested to visit you can see what we have to offer at https://www.facebook.com/273ReasonstovisitRomania?fref=ts

47. Kisuletz says:

Hello Amanda ! Thank you very much for all beautiful things said about Romania. I’m from Romania, so if somebody need some information or help, you can ask me.

48. Saragea says:

Hy! The article its very nice! I’m a roumanian, 24 years old, and I admit that this year i visited my country, I was only in Europe in my vacation! Visit Bran castle, Peles castle, Rasnov castle, Sighisoara, Brasov, Constanta who is on the Black Sea, Tulcea(from where you cand go to the Danube Delta, the wildest and the beautiful place in the world, if someone needs a recomendetion for 4-5 stars hotels, please contact me*

49. Monica says:

If you visit Romania you should definetly check out Alba Iulia, a historical town in Transylvania with a wonderful star-shaped citadel that has undergone major changes in the past decade and is ready for welcoming tourists.
    photos : https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.559641880732192.141479.253324688030581&type=3

50. Anca says:

If you are interested in castles and history I recommend in Hunedoara, the Hunyad Castle that was part of Principality of Transylvania, and it’s believed to be the place where Vlad III of Wallachia (commonly known as Dracula) was held prisoner for 7 years after he was deposed in 1462. The castle is a relic of the Hunyadi dynasty. It was built in Gothic style, but has Baroque and Renaissance architectural elements. It is a large and imposing building with tall and diversely colored roofs, towers and myriad windows and balconies adorned with stone: http://www.castelulcorvinilor.ro/en/

If you love nature close by you can visit also Retezat National Park :

51. cf says:

I can not believe anyone has not mentioned the Transfagarasan Highway, National Road 7C. This is one of the greatest roads to drive threw the mountains. At the top there is a long tunnel that leads to Balea Lake with hotels to accomodate. Be sure to check out the some of the Penseuna “Hotels” at the bottom of the mountain. Great food, super views, dirt cheap, and hearing the sound of the water coming off the mountain is so relaxing. Be sure to order some Mititei and a cold Silvia Negra or a Ursus Black. You will thank me later! Bran is cool and ride the lift in Brasov. Make sure you get a GPS……………… As an American I look forward to going back!

That highway sounds great! Who doesn’t love a good drive through the mountains?

• Ciprian says:

Not any kind of road. Those from Top Gear (the greatesc tv show about car) said that Transfagarasan is The best driving road in the world. The intresting fact is that meanwhile in Romania has been opened a new amaizing road through the mountains: Transalpina (reaching the maximum altitude of 2145 metres and having a history of over 2000 years). Another reason to visit again Romania :)

• Andrei says:

Oh pleaseee, don’t giveup Transalpina so easily, it used to be something esoteric :) Really now, Transalpina is A W E S O M E, visited it before and after it was opened.

52. Jean-Alain GRUMBACH says:

For all who like untouched nature, unspoiled rural areas and “real” rural people who will spontaneously invite you to share their meal, Romania is a MUST destination.
    If you have 47 minutes to spare, check out the video WILD CARPATHIA. From all the recent films about Romania its one of the best, if not the best.

53. Ana Florina says:

Is interesting that after days of traveling on your post is one single picture with humans being, and that one with gypsies. Romanians are not Romani people, for the God sake. Have you not learn that in your expensive schools?

First of all, just because there’s only one photo in THIS post with people in it doesn’t mean I didn’t take others. And, secondly, my “expensive schools” have taught me that people are people, no matter what race or nationality they are. Those little girls were sweet and adorable and asked me to take their photo, so I did. And they live in Romania, so as far as I’m concerned they absolutely belong in this post.

54. Ana Florina says:

Exactly. We all are people of God.We are all borned equal; but what you write in the comment please told other travellers that are disrespecting us when we travell. Me like Romanian I am facing many difficulties when travelling around Europe for example. People says that all romanians are gypsies. But Roma people is just an etinicity. And the fact that you put an picture with them, a single, make people makes people believe that we all are the same. Not many people achived to visit Romania. Please stop putting pictures on internet with poor kids,and dirty places. I know we are not perfect, bet we try our best. No country is perfect. I hightly recommend you to try to visit other regions of Romania, and bring other friends with you. Maybe like this you will learn more about us; what you see is different from what you read; you are a travel blogger; we have some influence; people reads your post, and form on opinion; in Europe we confrunt discrimination. A picture offers a mesage to its readers. Please put pictures with real Romania.

Ana, have a look at the whole bunch of other posts I’ve written about Romania – with TONS of other photos. Perhaps even some of this “real Romania” that you mention.

And, as far as photos of “poor kids and dirty places,” you will find very few of those on this blog. I really like Romania and frequently recommend it to other travelers. I’m sorry if you were somewhat offended by this post; no one else has been.

55. Roxana says:

If you ever visit Romania again, be sure to get in touch with me, and we can have a chit chat with the other female bloggers in Bucharest. :D

We have a pretty large bloggers’ community. And this applies to every female/male blogger out there who decides to visit us.

By the way, there’s a Facebook Page about “273 places to see before you leave Romania” https://www.facebook.com/273.ro . You should definitely check it out as “273 places to see when you visit Romania”, as well. *happy face*

Best wishes,

Roxanne
    Roxana recently posted..Lectie de Email Marketing pentru o Revista Online dedicata Femeilor

56. [...] pe twitter la Ligia Adam despre blogul Amandei, un blogger american venita in Romania ca parte a unui trip prin tarile [...]

57. When you come again to Romania, we are waiting for you in Timisoara city. Thanks for the article (a Romanian entrepreneur).

58. razvan says:

We would be very happy if you all returned to Romania to help you with our car rental company.Only we know the old routes in Transilvania and Bucovina.The Transylvanian Saxon churches and monasteries from Bucovina.!We are proud to have you as guests!

59. transylvanian says:

Thank you for visiting our country, I hope you had a great time here, but I have 2 objections:
    a) Romania is in Central Europe, not in Eastern Europe… it is placed at exactly equal distance (2900 km) from the most Western point (Portugal), the most Eastern point (Ural Mountains) and the most Northern point (Norway) of Europe.
    b) you have travelled only in Transylvania, the biggest region of Romania. But it is true, Transylvania is the most beautiful part of Romania, in the rest you don’t have anything interesting to see in the other regions excepting Transfagarasan road, the Black Sea seaside and the monasteries of Bukovina (which are amazing!!!)
    Thank you for liking our country! I hope you will return one day! :)

60. Peter Fay says:

Our stories of discovery are similar.
    I met a nice woman on “YouTube”. We were discussing a piece of music by a modern Romanian band.
    I liked her and we exchanged email addresses. After a few emails I discovered my initial opinion and belief were correct. She and I had similar morals and ethics. I felt she was perfect.
    Anyway, I said I would love to meet her and she suggested I caught a plane to Bucuresti.
    THAT was the reason I visited and immediately fell in love with initially Bucuresti and later, Romania.
    To impress my new girlfriend, I have researched enough info for a university thesis. I have also taught myself some limba Romana.
    Imi place Romania!
    Peter.

What a great story, Peter! Glad to hear you fell in love with Romania, too.

• Peter Fay says:

I regularly thank Laura (the nice woman, who I love) for introducing me to Romania.
        In my research, I have discovered the extreme depth of history and tradition to be appreciated. When you realise that since the Romans invaded Dacia and Thrace, the modern Romanian region has been the most invaded countryside in Europe and possibly the world!
        This can be authenticated by a visit to a Romanian restaurant. You will see dishes like schnitzel and strudel from Austria, goulash from Hungary, moussaka from Greece, sauerkraut from Germany, mamaliga / polenta from Italy, stroganov from Poland / Russia, kebabs from Turkey… the list is endless!

Yup, there are a ton of outside influences in Romania!

• AlexC says:

Well the moussaka isn`t greek at all ( The English name came from modern Greek mousakás (μουσακάς). The Greek name came from the Turkish musakka designating roughly the same recipe. The same name and recipe is found throughout the lands that formerly were part of the Ottoman Turkish Empire. The Turkish name came from Arabic musaqa‘h (مسقعة), which in Arabic means moussaka but comes from an Arabic root literally meaning “chilled”.[1] In Arabic countries a variant of the same recipe is eaten cold. A popular Middle Eastern recipe called İmam bayıldı (it has that name in Turkish, Arabic and Greek) is eaten cold and is similar to moussaka. Moussaka is eaten warm – wikipedia ).

Polenta might be an latin name but the recipe was used largely in europe since ancient time. This is not making it an italian food. wikipedia says about mamaliga : Mămăligă (Romanian pronunciation: [məməˈliɡə]) is a porridge made out of yellow maize flour, traditional in Romania and Moldova. It is similar to the Italian polenta. Historically a peasant food, it was often used as a substitute for bread or even as a staple food in the poor rural areas. However, in the last decades it has emerged as an upscale dish available in the finest restaurants.
          Roman influence[edit]
          Historically, porridge is the oldest form of consumption of grains in the whole of humanity, long before the appearance of bread. Originally, the seeds used to prepare slurries were very diverse as millet or einkorn.
          Before the introduction of maize in Europe in the 16th century, mămăligă had been made with millet flour, known to the Romans as pulmentum. Moreover, the Romans ate so much of it that the Greeks called them pultiphagonides (porridge eaters). <— Romans ate a lot. This doesn`t ment they invented the porridge since it was available since the dawns of humanity, got the point?

Same as pizza : The word pizza (Italian pronunciation: [ˈpittsa], from the Latin verb pìnsere, to press and from the Greek pēktos, πηκτός, meaning "solid" or "clotted") [b][i]is Greek in origin [/b][/i](see also pitta). The ancient Greeks covered their bread with oils, herbs and cheese. In Byzantine Greek, the word was spelled πίτα, pita, or πίττα, pitta, meaning pie. The word has also spread to Romanian as pită, Turkish as pide,[2] and Bulgarian, Croatian, Macedonian and Serbian as pita, Albanian as pite and Modern Hebrew pittāh.[3]
          Modern pizza originated in Italy as the Neapolitan flatbread. – wikipedia. It is invented in italy? They made it famous with modernised receipe , that is another thing. Just as british made famous the curry. Btw, do the british invaded japan? Because curry is traditional here too since 19th century. Introducing a food in a country is not similar with conquest / invasion. See the "famous" american apple pie`s origins. Or Chop suey`s . And kebab is not traditional nor found in all restaurants in Romania! Same as stroganoff`s.

61. Denisa says:

Thank you for this article and because you promote my country. Romania is a very beautiful country. And I hope to be interesting for tourists from all over the world. There are so many place “must to see”: The Monasteries from Moldova, Danube Delta, the medieval cities: Sighisoara, Brasov, Sibiu; the beautiful castle: Bran, Peles, Mogosoaia, Huniade ans so on; the austro-hungarian old cities:Timisoara, Arad, Oradea; the mountain splendors of Cheile Nerei, Transalpina, Transfagaras; the old Mures Velley castles. Thank you again.

62. Wonderful article we rediscover Romania…

63. Caroline says:

It’s just great to see all these enthusiastic comments about a country I love. Some friends and I have been trying to offset the current negative British press which has been spawned by a fear of being swamped by ‘Gypsy thieves’ after 1st Jan 2014 when Romanians and Bulgarians will be able to work in the UK without restrictions. We are frustrated by the lack of oomph shown by the Romanian tourism ministry when there are so many fantastic things to see in their country. I have written two guide books and have two blogs about Romania, which I visit every year, sometimes two or three times, because it is so amazing to find a place where you can feel free as a human being. You are right that too much tourism could spoil this balance, and there is a great deal of poverty-if you measure poverty by British standards. But as I learnt many years ago in the Maramures, you don’t need fast cars and expensive houses and clothes to be happy. Life can be very tough, but also very fulfilling, as I’ve discovered by living with Romanian shepherds. So glad you all want to go to Romania- hope to see some of you there, getting that depth of experience I’ve had the privilege to share!

Thanks for the great comment, Caroline. There definitely are plenty of people who recognize Romania’s merits. I hope you go back there soon!

• Peter Fay says:

A spot on judgement by Caroline!
      The beauty is everywhere and in everything, including most Romanian people. I have made more friends in Bucuresti than back home in England (family excluded, of course!)
      The depth of tradition and history is breathtaking.
      My Bucurestian lady friend may also have something to do with it…. :-))

• Riter says:

I am also grateful to you too,in fact i am grateful to all foreigners who speak highly and use such nice words when speaking about Romania.

64. [...] back up my argument, here are the top reasons why you should visit Romania by Roomorama and why you should go there right now by Amanda of A Dangerous [...]

65. aaa says:

One good reason to AVOID Romania – It’s a land of animal cruelty!!! Why would anyone like to visit a place, where the government allows the massacre of dogs?
    No, thank you – there are far better places to go to in a CIVILIZED part of this world.

Sorry you feel that way. There are plenty of worse places, though. You know, like where the government allows the massacre of PEOPLE…

66. Anna Jacqueline says:

I have a friend in Romania who is inviting me to go to their city, Brasov. At first, I was a little hesitant, but after reading this post I guess I am going to give it a try. I love nature (vampires, too!) and I would like to see what this place can offer. I had a great time reading the comments as well. Thank you for making this.

That is great to hear, Anna! I’ve been to Brasov, and really really enjoyed it. You can read about it here: http://www.dangerous-business.com/2012/07/city-spotlight-brasov-romania/

I hope you have a great time!

• Paula says:

Anna,
      Do NOT hesitate at all……..RUN to Romania. I am American and it was always my dream to see Romania at some point in my life. Well this summer I fulfilled that dream and went in July. Let me just say, this country is one of the most beautiful and diverse countries I have ever been to. Simply stunning. Brasov was one of the cities we stayed in and it is truly breathtaking, warm, and welcoming. But don’t just take my word, go and see for yourself. I promise you won’t be disappointed. My only regret is that I only had a week to spend in this misunderstood country. :)

Paula

67. Cristian says:

Thank you for writing those nice words about my country. People like you promotes Romania better than our politicians. I hope you will come back soon and have a great time again.

Of course! I really enjoyed my time in your country!

• Paula says:

I plan on going back,too. I didn’t get to spend much time in Bucharest and would like to see more of it. Hopefully I’ll include that in my travels to Hungary, Bulgaria, and the Czehk Republic in the next year or two. Romania definitely deserves more time for exploring; there’s just so much beauty to take in. :)

68. Andreea Onofrei says:

Thank you so much for this review. I feel like nobody’s really seeing the great potential in Romania.
    Next time you come here, you should visit Timisoara too (the city where the revolution started). I’d be happy to show you around.

P.S.: Today’s our national day. Thank you, Romania, for being such a great home

Love, Andreea

69. […] click am dat de toate articolele ei despre România (sau în care amintește de ea), dar și de articolul relativ tradus și transpus în limba română. Și așa m-am întors la articolul de pe […]

70. Riter says:

Well thanks a lot for this article.As a romanian it is a great thing to see a foreigner talking about my natal country in such a beautiful way.

71. Thank you very much for this wonderful post about my home country:)

Happytravelling!
    Happytraveller recently posted..Amazing ideas in Warsaw

72. Raven says:

I have always wanted to go to Romania. I’m fluent in Romanian, and I’m the only one who knows about the country in my school.

73. Waqas Ahmad says:

Well

Its a great post. I just started planning my summer vacation sitting in office looking at Euro map and suddenly thought “why not Romania”. Started searching for the details and there is your comprehensive write-up answering most of the queries.

I shall be visiting in July or August for 10 days. I am into hiking & landscape photography and colors, mountains and nature inspire me a lot. My previous experiences to such places in Europe include Switzerland (Jungfrau, Zermatt, St Moritz & Lucerne) & Austria (Salzburg & St Wolfgang). Can you please recommend me a few places of this sort in Romania.

Cheers

Romania is great for all of those things! I would definitely recommend Sighisoara for the colors, and Brasov for mountains. The Maramures region in northern Romania is also very beautiful as far as landscapes go, though you really can’t go wrong anywhere in Transylvania when it comes to mountains!

74. […] I was born there and lived in Iasi for a huge chunk of my life :) But you… you must GO and visit Romania, it is absolutely beautiful and you will fall in love […]

75. Great post! Such beautiful images too, this has really given me inspiration to visit this awesome country!
    Chris A Sharpe recently posted..Two Weeks: Thailand’s Islands