1.2K Flares 1.2K Flares ×

Sydney has the Opera House. Paris has the Eiffel Tower. And San Francisco has the Golden Gate Bridge.

It may not be the only long suspension bridge in San Francisco, but it is certainly the most famous and, therefore, the most celebrated.

And today San Francisco is celebrating the Golden Gate Bridge’s 75th anniversary. The orange suspension bridge first opened on May 27, 1937, and has since become one of the most-photographed and well-loved bridges in the world.

So, in honor of its 75th birthday, here are a handful of photos of the Golden Gate Bridge from my own recent trip to the City by the Bay.

Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco

My "postcard shot" of the bridge on an uncharacteristically blue-skied day in San Francisco.

Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco

The official color of the Bridge? "International Orange."

Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco

The Golden Gate, as seen from Alcatraz Island.

Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco

Standing at the top of Fort Point, looking out over the "Golden Gate," the stretch of water that separates the Bay of San Francisco from the Pacific Ocean.

Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco

The bridge on a more-typical foggy/cloudy day, as seen from Crissy Field.

Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco

A chilly, foggy day under the Bridge. Wouldn't want to jump into the water today, though plenty do each year from the Bridge...

Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco

Biking (or walking) across the Golden Gate Bridge is a must-do in San Francisco!

Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco

The Bridge from the Marin County side.

If you ask me, it’s impressive in any kind of weather.

Happy 75th birthday, Bridge!

Which of these Golden Gate Bridge photos is your favorite?

Tagged with →

28 Responses to The Golden Gate Bridge: Still Awesome at 75

1. Wow, so iconic! You were really lucky to get sunny shots!
    A Montrealer Abroad recently posted..Postcards from uber-modern Paris: La Defense

Oh I know! You can hardly EVER get sunny shots of this bridge! Though I was kind of glad to get the typically foggy shots, too. :)

2. Abhi says:

Really beautiful shots!!
    Abhi recently posted..Photo Essay: Pompeii

3. It doesn’t look a day over 30 ;)
    The second photo is my favorite. I remember when I was young wondering why the GG Bridge wasn’t really gold.
    Annette’s Bucket List Journey recently posted..A Proper British Afternoon Tea in London

Some Australian tourists on one of my tours were confused over the color, too. It’s actually named after the body of water the bride spans — called the Golden Gate. One tour guide told us they at one pointed considered painting the bridge black with yellow stripes to make it easier to see in fog… yikes! Glad they didn’t!

4. Gaelyn says:

Black with yellow stripes would be awful. You did score with the blue sky but I like the bridge shrouded in fog also. I like #3 best.
    Gaelyn recently posted..Ecliptical shadows

5. Kieron says:

Wow, what great photos of the bridge and the colors look amazing! We’ve been to San Francisco in summer twice and have never seen such a perfect sky!
    Kieron recently posted..7 Things To Do In San Francisco, California

I can’t tell you how many people have told me that they’ve “never seen San Francisco like that.” I know how lucky I got!!

6. Great photos. Love that you captured it in different weathers. Happy 75th!
    Ayelet – All Colores recently posted..Video of the Week: Gigantic Iceberg in El Calafate, Argentina

7. It’s such an iconic bridge! I don’t think at 175 it will still have lost any of its beauty or power!!!
    Andi of My Beautiful Adventures recently posted..Macau: Day 2 (Part 4)

8. Sarah says:

I love all your photos! Wish I could take photos as stunning as yours :(
    Sarah recently posted..Snow and Seasons in Storrington

9. Great photos – the second one is my favorite! We loved walking over the bridge… although we underestimated how long it actually is and the way back was quite hard :D
    Dani | Globetrottergirls recently posted..A taste of Cambodia… our first impressions

Yeah, 1.7 miles is a lot longer than you think! I think maybe I’d walk it, then head down to Sausalito and catch the ferry back again next time. :)

10. These pictures make me homesick! There really is something special about the Golden Gate.
    Emily in Chile recently posted..Giveaway: UnoTelly DirectDNS

11. Saw the black and yellow stripes thing on Chris Christensen’s post. What a stupid idea! How well would that work in the dark and fog? Seriously?!

With that said, I offer my apologies to the bridge. I told her happy birthday but I didn’t get a present.
    Jeremy Branham recently posted..5 tips on how to make a video while traveling

I’m sure she will forgive you the lack of present. ;)

And yeah… I’m not sure how yellow stripes would help at all! Thank goodness that idea was scrapped!

12. [...] Photo Essay: San Francisco Chinatown  Add comments Jun 062012   Can you guess what draws in more San Francisco tourists each year than the Golden Gate Bridge? [...]

13. [...] Wharf, Chinatown is a must-visit in San Francisco. It sees more visitors per year than even the Golden Gate Bridge, and it’s not difficult to understand why — it’s that [...]

14. Erik says:

It is totally the definition of iconic. I kept finding a way to include it in photos of other things. On my way back from NZ, I had a layover in SF, and my first stop was the Marin Headlands overlooking the bridge!
    Erik recently posted..Photo Essay- Sunrise outside Christchurch, New Zealand