This post is part of my Blog4NZ series. Blog4NZ, running March 21-23, is an initiative by travel bloggers to share memories, photos and stories from New Zealand in order to bring awareness to the fact that, despite the Feb. 22 Christchurch earthquake, the country is still very much open for business.

New Zealand is full of beautiful views.

From snow-capped mountains, to untouched beaches, to geothermal wonders, to lush rainforests, to rugged coastlines, to colorful towns… need I go on?

Though it’s really difficult to chose my “favorite” views and landscapes in this picturesque country, I’ve narrowed it down to the 5 that I find to be most memorable.

My 5 Favorite Views in New Zealand

Top of the North

Cape Reinga, Northland, New Zealand

Cape Reinga

Te Paki Sand Dunes, Northland, New Zealand

Te Paki Sand Dunes

Cape Maria van Diemen, Northland, New Zealand

Cape Maria van Diemen

The Northland Region of New Zealand — full of beaches, forests, and gently-rolling hills under a big blue sky — has some of my favorite views in the country. Whether it’s the golden sand dunes along 90 Mile Beach, the Tasman meeting the Pacific at Cape Reinga, or the towering old kauri trees in nearby forests, Northland has a lot to offer someone who loves nature and the untouched beauty of undeveloped land.

Wellington

Oriental Bay, Wellington, New Zealand

Oriental Bay

Wellington, New Zealand

Wellington from the Kelburn cable car station

Civic Square, Wellington, New Zealand

The fern ball sculpture in Civic Square

It’s no secret that Wellington — New Zealand’s political and cultural capital — is my favorite city in the world. Whether it’s taking a stroll along the waterfront, visiting the lookout at the top of Mount Victoria, or riding the historic cable car up to the botanic gardens, some of my favorite views in New Zealand are located right in downtown Wellington. It’s no wonder that Lonely Planet called Welly “the coolest little capital in the world.”

Above the Southern Alps

Flying Over Lake Wakatipu, Queenstown, New Zealand

Flying over Lake Wakatipu

Southern Alps, New Zealand

Southern Alps

Southern Alps, New Zealand

Southern Alps

There really is nothing quite as breathtaking as soaring over snow-capped mountains and crystal-clear alpine lakes on a perfect, blue-skied day. I had the chance to do just that over New Zealand’s craggy Southern Alps between Milford Sound and Queenstown, and it ranks up there as one of my most memorable NZ experiences.

Queenstown

Queenstown, New Zealand

Looking out over Queenstown from Deer Park Heights

Lake Wakatipu, Queenstown, New Zealand

Lake Wakatipu, Queenstown

Queenstown, New Zealand

Queenstown, from the Skyline Gondola

Queenstown calls itself “New Zealand’s Adventure Capital” — and I would have to agree. Here you can do everything from bungy jumping to jetboating to skydiving. But, along with being home to a slew of extreme sports, Queenstown also has some of the most spectacular views of any city in New Zealand. With green hills and the blue waters of Lake Wakatipu set before the backdrop of the Remarkables mountain range, it’s hard to imagine wanting to be anywhere else when you’re here.

The Wind-Swept Southern Coast

Southern Coast, South Island, the Catlins, New Zealand

The Catlins Coast

Nugget Point, South Island, New Zealand

Nugget Point

Southern Coast, South Island, the Catlins, New Zealand

The Southern Coast

If you do one road trip in New Zealand, pick this one — the Southern Scenic Route through the Catlins along the coast of the country’s South Island. It only takes about a day to drive, but there’s so much to see that you could let it last much longer. I wore out my camera battery on this drive, and it’s not difficult to understand why with coastlines and landscapes like this.

What are some of YOUR favorite views in New Zealand? Did any of them make my list?

Please note: All photos in this post were taken by me in New Zealand. To see more from this album, head over to Flickr.

And, if you liked this post, I would love if you would tweet it with the #blog4NZ tag, stumble it, and share it on Facebook to help promote this awesome blogging effort!

54 Responses to My 5 Favorite Views in New Zealand

1. Gorgeous photos :)
    Linda ~ Journey Jottings recently posted..Why New Zealand Now blog4NZ

Thank you, Linda! I have so many photos from New Zealand — I always like finding the chance to share them!

2. Randy says:

Great shots! I love the diverse landscape. In particular, I’m a sucker for rocky coastlines.
    Randy recently posted..Travel Gear ExOfficio Underwear Review

Thank you, Randy! I’m also a sucker for rocky coastlines. And mountains. If an area has mountains, I’m SOLD.

3. [...] series of postcard-perfect images from New Zealand by Dangerous-Business. Here’s one from Lake [...]

4. chantal says:

Beautiful photos…some great travels youve done :)

I’ve indeed been really lucky with my travels so far. But I’m still dying to get back to New Zealand to do even more! Thanks for reading. I’m glad you enjoyed the photos!

5. Alouise says:

Love the first picture, so pretty. Actually I love them all. There certainly doesn’t seem to be a shortage of beautiful scenery in New Zealand.
    Alouise recently posted..Let’s Go To New Zealand

Definitely no shortage of gorgeous vistas in NZ, that’s for sure! Even on rainy days you could find a pretty scene.

Thanks for reading, Alouise!

6. Natalie says:

Some lovely views. Well done on the pictures, they are excellent.
    Natalie recently posted..Weather in Turkey – The Unofficial Guide to the Summer Months

Thanks, Natalie. It was actually kind of difficult narrowing it down to just 5 places! There are so many to pick from in NZ that are memorable.

7. [...] original post here: My 5 Favorite Views in New Zealand – A Dangerous Business » A … Share [...]

8. Monica says:

Wow. These photos are so beautiful. Great shots from a great country. I especially like the Southern Alps pics, You’ve got to love a snowy mountain!
    Monica recently posted..Universal Studios- Singapore

Snowy mountains are my absolute favorite! I’m such a sucker for them. I’m glad you liked the photos! Thanks for checking them out!

9. Annie says:

Great pics, they are all absolutely stunning!
    Annie recently posted..Blog4NZ–A Leap of Faith in Queenstown

10. Brynn says:

“Looking out over Queenstown from Deer Park Heights” Definitely my favorite view! So many gorgeous things in one picture!

The people who settled Queenstown knew what they were doing. It’s no wonder why it’s such a popular New Zealand destination — there are amazing sights every way you turn!

11. Rebecca says:

I love the Catlins Coast!!! And lucky you for going on a sunny day! I went in the middle of summer and it still was overcast, cloudy and rainy most of the time. But like everything in NZ, I still had the best time!!
    Rebecca recently posted..Groupons and the Like

I was verrrry lucky with the weather for my drive through the Catlins! It actually started raining when we got closer to Invercargill, but that was after a full day of driving under sunny blue skies. I LOVE that part of New Zealand!

12. Candice says:

GODDAMMIT. I HAVE TO GO.

13. Amanda, you are doing an amazing job here! If I could I would give you my vote as you deserve the chance to come and visit NZ again.
    Merav | AllWays Car Rental NZ recently posted..Puzzling World Wanaka – Not Only For Kids

Aww, Merav that is so sweet of you to say! I would LOVE to win that trip to NZ. But, honestly, I would be posting all of this regardless for Blog4NZ, because I love New Zealand that much!!! The prizes are just icing on the cake (though I can’t lie and say I don’t have my fingers and toes crossed!).

14. What sort of camera do you use?
    All your shots are great!
    Linda ~ Journey Jottings recently posted..Why New Zealand Now blog4NZ

Thanks, Linda! I just use a little Canon PowerShot point-and-shoot, and then edit some of my shots in iPhoto! I don’t have an expensive camera or fancy editing software or anything like that – in New Zealand, you don’t need it to take amazing shots!

15. Kirsten says:

Gorgeous photographs!
    Kirsten recently posted..Free Museum Day in Paris – Musee du Louvre

Thanks so much, Kirsten! That actually means a lot coming from you, as I always admire the photos you take on your site!

16. [...] may make you want to hop on a plane bound for New Zealand now. I know that’s how I feel! 1) My 5 Favorite Views in New Zealand – Some truly great photographs are in this image heavy post celebrating New Zealand. [...]

17. absolutely gorgeous! haven’t been so have only “been” in photos and if these don’t serve the Blog4NZ mission of increasing tourism post-earthquake, i don’t know what will :)
    Lorna – the roamantics recently posted..I’m Still Here- And Hopefully Not as Crazy as Joaquin Phoenix

18. Travelogged says:

Wow, awesome photos! I hope I make it there soon!
    Travelogged recently posted..How to Help Japan After the Earthquake and Tsunami

19. Great views, one of my favorite views is also from the hill in Queenstown, another favorite is from Porthills in Christchurch.

20. Vi says:

I have so many pictures of NZ too and probably wouldn’t able to pick 5 favorites :)
    Vi recently posted..Is it safe to go to New Zealand now

It was tough… and, really, I picked 15 favorites! Haha. But NZ has so many beautiful places that yes, it was really hard to narrow it down.

21. Nicole says:

Wow, amazing photos. We just love New Zealand….it’s so pretty.

22. [...] pricey, so it pays to do some research online and just do it yourself. It’s not hard to find fantastic scenery in New Zealand and film locations for The Lord of the Rings. We just scratched the surface on our one-day [...]

23. 4C Creatives says:

Great Photo’s, makes me want to visit New Zealand, keep up the good work! Thanks

24. [...] Nov 112011   When most people think of New Zealand, they think of beautiful landscapes, stunning views, lots of nature, and crazy adventure sports. And that’s because those are the things people [...]

25. [...] Nov 182011   When most people think of New Zealand, they think of beautiful landscapes, stunning views, lots of nature, and crazy adventure sports. And that’s because those are the things people [...]

26. Vi says:

I would include Tongariro crossing to this list.
    Vi recently posted..What’s on in Sydney in October, 2011

27. [...] LOVE New Zealand’s breathtaking scenery. For such a small country, it really does pack a punch. Nearly every type of landscape is [...]

28. Awwww I miss NZ! Good choices although would have to include Mount Maunganui and the Coromandel Peninsula in there :)
    Cole @ Four Jandals recently posted..Destination Itinerary – 48 Hours in Edinburgh

I’ve not been to Mount Maunganui yet! But I’ve seen photos from there, and the view does indeed look fabulous!

29. Thank you for featuring my beautiful homeland of NZ. Please come back and try to get to Taranaki. as it has the best surf beaches in NZ and the most amazing single-cone mountain (Mt Egmont/Taranaki).

30. Matthew Fine says:

Beautiful photos! I have been fantasizing about going to New Zealand ever since I saw the Lord of the Rings trilogy

31. Albert says:

Great photo’s, I cant wait to go to Wellington and Queenstown.
    Albert recently posted..A kiwi experience in New Zealand

32. […] may make you want to hop on a plane bound for New Zealand now. I know that’s how I feel! 1) My 5 Favorite Views in New Zealand – Some truly great photographs are in this image heavy post celebrating New Zealand. […]