Can't get enough? Here are some other places around the Internet you can find me.
Appearances / Speaking
I was featured on an episode of HuffPost Live about Why More Women Are Traveling Solo.
I spoke at the 2017 Women in Travel Summit on a panel about social media strategy.
I participated on a panel at the New York Times Travel Show in 2018 about being a blogger/influencer.
I'm currently a member of the Society of American Travel Writers (SATW), a member (and former board member) of the Professional Travel Bloggers Association (PTBA), and a member of the North American Travel Journalists Association (NATJA).
I am also a press card-holding member of the International Travel Writers Alliance.
I've been featured in stories from the following online outlets:
- Everything You Need to Know About Traveling Solo as a Woman at HuffPost Travel
- Here's How You Can Actually Travel the World Without Quitting Your Job at Buzzfeed
- How One Travel Blogger Funds Her Adventures at US News & World Report
- Maintaining relationships on the road at USA Today Travel
- Alumna Travels the World and Blogs About It at Kent State University
In 2013, I won the Ottawa Tourism Travel Writing Award for a piece I wrote about staying at the Ottawa Jail Hostel.
I was an official #WeGoSolo ambassador in conjunction with HostelBookers, seeking to promote safe and smart solo female travel.
- Interview at Flip Nomad
- Interview at Misadventures With Andi
- Interview at NZ Muse
- Podcast interview with The Budget-Minded Traveler
- Interview at Learn to Blog
- Interview at New York Minute Magazine
- Interview at iExplore
- Interview at Paste Magazine
- Interview at Cooperatize
- Interview at Blog Profits
A Dangerous Business has been featured in the following lists of top blogs:
- Top 50 Travel Blogs (The Expeditioner)
- Follow these 9 savvy female explorers (Bizwomen)
- Top 10 Travel Blogs We Love (She Knows)
- 16 Travel Blogs That Will Make You Want to Pack Your Bags (Brit + Co)
- Follow These 5 Female Travel Bloggers (TravelAge West)
- Top Travel Blogs for Women in 2016 (Travel Fashion Girl)
- The Top 12 Most Influential Travel Bloggers (US City Traveler)
- Top 20 Travel Bloggers of 2016 to Inspire Your Next Vacation (Mogul)
- Top 100 Travel Bloggers (Nomadic Samuel)
- 36 Travel Blogs to Follow and the Benefits (yTravel Blog)
- 50 Kick-Ass Female Travel Blogs to Follow in 2014 (Travel Junkette)
- 11 Must-Read Travel Blogs By Women (Room Suggestion)
- Top 25 Solo Female Travel Bloggers to Follow in 2015 (Flip Key)
- Top 50 Travel Blogs to Follow (Trek Effect)
- 17 Travel Bloggers to Follow in 2016 (Hippie in Heels)
- Inspirational Travel Bloggers of 2016 (Compare the Market)
- 50 Inspiring Travel Accounts to Follow on Instagram (The Wandering Blonde)
- The Top 47 Best Travel Blogs to Follow 2016 (Wealthy Gorilla)
- 60 Travel Bloggers and Photographers on Instagram to Fuel Your Wanderlust (Shutterstock)
- 2017's Most-Traveled Bloggers (Hometogo)
Guest Blogging / Freelance
Check out my guest blog posts / freelance work on other sites:
- Top 10 Tips: Wellington on a Budget at Travel With a Mate
- Best New Zealand Activities for Thrill-Seekers at Travel With a Mate
- Missing New Zealand at Twenty-Something Travel
- When a Travel Blogger is Stuck at Home at Adventurous Kate
- Tips for your first time… in New Zealand at Finding the Universe
- 6 Ways to be a More Adventurous Traveler at Maiden Voyage
- Planning For Hawaii on a Budget — Oahu at Go Backpacking
- What to Do in New Zealand at C'est Christine
- 6 Dumb Reasons People Don't Travel at Gap Year Escape
- 5 Things to Do in Wellington to Make You Feel Like a Local at Live Travel Blog
- Welcome to Arrowtown: A Photo Essay at Average Traveller
- Traveling Solo to Somber Places at Solo Friendly
- Six practical tips for you first time in Wellington at Indie Travel Podcast
- Ultimate Female Travel Packing List for New Zealand (in Winter) at Her Packing List
- Yes, You Can Travel on a Student Budget at Hack College
- Sustainable Tourism: What is It, and Why Should We Care? at LandLopers
- What to Do in Wellington, New Zealand at y Travel Blog
- Awe-struck by the dancing lights at the Frontiers North Adventures blog
- 5 Reasons I'm Not Afraid To Travel Alone As A Woman at Thought Catalog
- Girls' Getaway to NYC at RueBaRue
- 12 Tips for Scoring the Best Flight Deals at The Dig
- Girls Getaway to London at RueBaRue
- A 10-Day Costa Rica Road Trip at Mangrove Market
- 6 Must-Have Adventures in Belize at Mangrove Market
- Must-Visit US Memorials at AFAR's Wayfarer
- 5 Reasons Travel Bloggers Should be on Snapchat Now at Travel Blog Success
- Postcards from Russia at Hecktic Travels
- 4 Effective Ways to Get Travel Industry Contacts at Travel Blog Success
- A First-Timers Guide to New Orleans at Flight Network
- Responsible Tourism: Leaving a Positive Impact When and Where You Travel at WellWellWell
- 6 Safety Tips for Solo Female Travelers at Pacsafe
The Journal by Intrepid Travel
I am a regular contributor to Intrepid Travel's blog.
Find all my posts on my author page.
Discover Ohio Blog
I contribute every so often to the Discover Ohio blog.
Find all my Ohio blogs here.
Barclaycard Travel Blog
I contribute once per month to the Barclaycard travel blog. Here are some of my favorite posts:
- Fun Ways to Travel Solo
- Road Trip Ready: Essentials to Pack
- Reykjavik, Iceland in a Day
- Studying Abroad Tips
- Spectacular Fall Foliage Spots in the US
- Unique Places to Stay Around the World
- Places to Escape Snow and Winter Weather
- 5 National Parks That Are Just As Great in Winter
- 7 Volcanoes From Around the World That You Can Hike
- Galentine's Getaways: Trips to Take With Your Best Girlfriends
- Tips for Taking More Sustainable Trips
I freelanced for a while for Roam Right Travel Insurance's blog.
- Check out my author page to see all of my posts there.
Viator Travel Blog
Here are a few posts/reviews I've written for Viator's blog:
- Roadtripping: Route 66 and the American Southwest
- Urban Safari Adventure in San Francisco
- Finding Magic on “The Making of Harry Potter” Tour in London
I've written a handful of posts for the beautifully-designed Travel Mindset website.
- Check out my author page to see all of my posts.
Boots n All
I did some posts for Boots n All's WhyGo New Zealand site. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Itinerary for 7 Days on the North Island
- Itinerary for 7 Days on the South Island
- Itinerary for 10 Days in New Zealand
- Itinerary for 3 Days in Auckland
- Top 7 Beaches in New Zealand
- What to Eat in NZ: Famous New Zealand Food
Selected Other Mentions
- “5 Things to Love About Ottawa” featured in The Radar (Jan. 9) at National Geographic's Intelligent Travel blog.
- My posts on Ljubljana and Lake Bled featured in 100 Most Romantic Places on Earth at HostelBookers.
- “5 Ways Travel Has Made Me More Adventurous” mentioned in Travel Links of the Week (March 8) at Travel Junkette.
- A post about the pros and cons of traveling as a woman listed in LandLopers Picks of the Week (March 8) at LandLopers.
- A post full of fun facts about Pittsburgh listed in The Radar: Travel Lately (May 15) at National Geographic's Intelligent Travel blog, and linked on Popcity's Buzz page.
- “5 Reasons Solo Travel Sucks” featured in #NGTRadar: Travel Lately (Sept. 4) at National Geographic's Intelligent Travel blog, mentioned in Travel Linksperation: August 2013 at An Opportune Moment, and included in Best Reads: August 2013 at Indefinite Adventure.
- A post of mine linked to in 65 Links to Help You Travel Around the World (#6) at BootsnAll.
- My Naxos post featured in #NGTRadar: Travel Lately (Dec. 4 at National Geographic's Intelligent Travel.
- A post about Middle-Earth-related locations in New Zealand featured in LP pathfinders: top posts from July 2015 at the Lonely Planet blog.
- Lessons I learned from travel featured in The World Is An Open Book — Start Reading! at Ordinary Traveler.
- My travel tips/plans featured in Travel Tips For Travelers From Travelers (Part 2) at Travelocafe.
- My site featured in Read This Blog at Caroline in the City.
- My New Zealand travel tips: Around the World Interview Visits New Zealand at Ordinary Traveler.
- A travel health tip of mine featured in 32 Travel Health Tips from 32 Travel Bloggers at Sick on the Road.
- A packing tip of mine featured in 60 Travel Packing Tips From the Experts at Travel Fashion Girl.
- Travel lessons of mine mentioned in 11 Lessons from 4 #WeGoSolo Experts at the HostelBookers blog.
- An adventure of mine featured in 28 Epic Adventures by Travel Bloggers in 2013 at Traveling Canucks.
- A travel tip of mine featured in Solo Female Travel Tips at TravelZoo UK.
- My site mentioned in 5 Blogs That Made Us Pack Our Bags and Go at Travel Blog Success.
- A solo travel tip of mine featured in 20 Female Solo Travel Bloggers Share Tips for First-Timers at TripAdvisor's blog.
- An Instagram photo of mine featured in The 14 Most Inspiring Travel Photos This Week at Matador Network.
- My favorite South American city was featured in a post on the Intrepid Travel Blog.
- A suggestion of mine featured in 7 Cheap Student Holiday Getaways at GoEuro.
- A solo travel tip of mine was featured in a piece by TripAdvisor.
- My favorite lakeside hotel was featured in a story on The Hotel Edit by Expedia.
I've had three travel pieces published in the Findlay Courier newspaper: A story about “Lord of the Rings” locations to visit in New Zealand, tips on how to make the most of an Alaskan cruise, and my behind-the-scenes look at Cedar Point's HalloWeekends.
I have also had a story about Berlin published in Blogosphere Magazine.
And a photo of mine of Osuna, Spain, was published in a special Game of Thrones magazine by Conde Nast in April 2016.