Here's a collection of my media appearances, mentions, memberships, as well as links to some of my past freelance writing.
Appearances / Speaking
I was featured on an episode of HuffPost Live about Why More Women Are Traveling Solo.
I've participated on panels at the New York Times Travel Show in 2018, 2019, and 2020 about being a blogger/influencer.
I spoke at the 2017 Women in Travel Summit on a panel about social media strategy.
I spoke at TravelCon in 2018 about affiliate marketing.
I spoke at the Social Travel Summit in 2019 in Ravenna, Italy.
I've been a mentor/speaker at Bloghouse from 2017-2020.
I'm currently a member of the Society of American Travel Writers (SATW), a member of the North American Travel Journalists Association (NATJA), and also a member of the Adventure Travel Trade Association (ATTA).
I've been featured in stories from the following online outlets:
- Everything You Need to Know About Traveling Solo as a Woman at HuffPost Travel
- Here's How You Can Actually Travel the World Without Quitting Your Job at Buzzfeed
- How One Travel Blogger Funds Her Adventures at US News & World Report
- Maintaining relationships on the road at USA Today Travel
- Alumna Travels the World and Blogs About It at Kent State University
In 2013, I won the Ottawa Tourism Travel Writing Award for a piece I wrote about staying at the Ottawa Jail Hostel.
In 2018, A Dangerous Business was awarded a Silver Award for Best Travel Blog in the 2017-18 Lowell Thomas Travel Journalism Competition, which is hosted annually by the Society of American Travel Writers (SATW).
In 2019, I won two Silver awards and one Honorable Mention in the North American Travel Journalists Association (NATJA) Awards.
I was an official #WeGoSolo ambassador in conjunction with HostelBookers, seeking to promote safe and smart solo female travel.
- Interview at Misadventures With Andi
- Interview at NZ Muse
- Podcast interview with The Budget-Minded Traveler
- Interview at iExplore
- Interview at Paste Magazine
- Interview with Trafalgar Tours
- Interview at Learn to Blog
- Interview at Cooperatize
- Interview at Blog Profits
- Interview at Mediavine
A Dangerous Business has been featured in the following lists of top blogs:
- The World's Best Travel Blogs (Everything Everywhere)
- Follow these 9 savvy female explorers (Bizwomen)
- 16 Travel Blogs That Will Make You Want to Pack Your Bags (Brit + Co)
- Follow These 5 Female Travel Bloggers (TravelAge West)
- 60 Travel Bloggers and Photographers on Instagram to Fuel Your Wanderlust (Shutterstock)
- Top Travel Blogs for Women in 2016 (Travel Fashion Girl)
- 50 Inspiring Travel Accounts to Follow on Instagram (The Wandering Blonde)
- The Top 47 Best Travel Blogs to Follow 2019 (Wealthy Gorilla)
- 2017's Most-Traveled Bloggers (Hometogo)
Guest Blogging / Freelance
Check out my guest blog posts / freelance work on other sites:
- When a Travel Blogger is Stuck at Home at Adventurous Kate
- Tips for your first time… in New Zealand at Finding the Universe
- 6 Dumb Reasons People Don't Travel at Gap Year Escape
- Traveling Solo to Somber Places at Solo Friendly
- Six practical tips for you first time in Wellington at Indie Travel Podcast
- Sustainable Tourism: What is It, and Why Should We Care? at LandLopers
- What to Do in Wellington, New Zealand at y Travel Blog
- 5 Reasons I'm Not Afraid To Travel Alone As A Woman at Thought Catalog
- Postcards from Russia at Hecktic Travels
- A First-Timers Guide to New Orleans at Flight Network
- Responsible Tourism: Leaving a Positive Impact When and Where You Travel at WellWellWell
- 6 Safety Tips for Solo Female Travelers at Pacsafe
The Journal by Intrepid Travel
I am a contributor to Intrepid Travel's official blog.
Find all my posts on my author page.
I contributed once per month to the Barclays travel blog. Here are some of my favorite posts:
- Fun Ways to Travel Solo
- Reykjavik, Iceland in a Day
- Unique Places to Stay Around the World
- 5 National Parks That Are Just As Great in Winter
- 7 Volcanoes From Around the World That You Can Hike
- Galentine's Getaways: Trips to Take With Your Best Girlfriends
- Tips for Taking More Sustainable Trips
- 48 Hours in Bangkok, Thailand
I freelanced for a while for Roam Right Travel Insurance's blog.
- Check out my author page to see all of my posts there.
I've also freelanced in the past for sites like AFAR, BootsnAll, Travel Mindset, and the Viator travel blog.
Selected Other Mentions
- A packing tip of mine featured in 60 Travel Packing Tips From the Experts at Travel Fashion Girl.
- Travel lessons of mine mentioned in 11 Lessons from 4 #WeGoSolo Experts at the HostelBookers blog.
- A travel tip of mine featured in Solo Female Travel Tips at TravelZoo UK.
- A solo travel tip of mine featured in 20 Female Solo Travel Bloggers Share Tips for First-Timers at TripAdvisor's blog.
- A suggestion of mine featured in 7 Cheap Student Holiday Getaways at Omio.
- A solo travel tip of mine was featured in a piece by TripAdvisor.
- One of my tattoos was included in Travel Tattoos from Around the World at Be My Travel Muse.
- I talk up Cleveland and why I chose to move here in a post on Livability.
- I contributed to a piece about Caribbean Vacation Secrets at Beach.com.
- I was quoted in an article about romantic weekend getaways on OprahMag.com.
- I shared a solo travel story at American Express Essentials.
- A tip of mine was featured in 10 Ways Millennials Can Travel for Cheap at Parade.
- I lent a packing tip to a funny piece at Betches.
I've had three travel pieces published in the Findlay Courier newspaper: A story about “Lord of the Rings” locations to visit in New Zealand, tips on how to make the most of an Alaskan cruise, and my behind-the-scenes look at Cedar Point's HalloWeekends.
I have also had a story about Berlin published in Blogosphere Magazine.
And a photo of mine of Osuna, Spain, was published in a special Game of Thrones magazine by Conde Nast in April 2016.
Hi Tom. You can feel free to shoot me an email at [email protected] – it can also be found on both my Work With Me and Contact pages.