April 22 is Earth Day – a day to celebrate Mother Nature and to be reminded that it is our duty to take care of the things she gives us.
Earth Day is celebrated all around the world, and has been since it was first celebrated in 1970.
I was toying around with post ideas for today. I could have written about sustainable travel, or perhaps the benefits of ecotourism. I could have examined eco-friendly destinations, or tour companies that focus on reducing their carbon footprints. I could have gone off on a tangent about how flying is evil or how big of a problem “greenwashing” is in the hospitality and tourism industry.
But, in the end, I realized that none of those would truly honor the Earth and environment today. Instead, I decided that the wise words of others (coupled with some of my own photos) would say what I was feeling much better than any of my own words could.
So enjoy these photos and inspirational quotes for Earth Day, brought to you from all corners of the world.
1. “We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.” – Native American proverb
2. “The environment is where we all meet; where we all have a mutual interest; it is the one thing all of us share.” – Lady Bird Johnson
3. “The earth does not belong to us. We belong to the earth.” – Chief Seattle
4. “I believe in God. Only I spell it Nature.” – Frank Lloyd Wright
5. “Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.” – John Muir
6. “The earth is what we all have in common.” – Wendell Berry
7. “Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.” – Albert Einstein
8. “In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.” – John Muir
Happy Earth Day!
And if you DO want to read a little more about sustainable travel today, check out these posts:
- Why Sustainable Tourism Should Matter to You
- 7 Ways You Can Help Combat Climate Change as a Traveler
- 6 Easy Ways to Use Less Plastics on Your Travels
- Redefining Tourism: 20 Tips for the Mindful Traveler
- The Benefits of Ecotourism: 20 Travel Bloggers on the Importance of Nature Travel