Sweden may be best known in popular culture for its exports like IKEA and ABBA, but this Scandinavian country is home to so much more.
Boasting cool cities, interesting history, stunning landscapes, and natural phenomena like the Northern Lights, Sweden has something to offer everyone.
Sweden quick facts
- Population: 10.1 million
- Language: Swedish and English
- Currency: Swedish Krona (SEK)
- Capital city: Stockholm
- Country size: 173,860 square miles
- High season: Summer (June through August)
Top 10 things to do in Sweden
- Wander around Gamla Stan, Stockholm’s colorful Old Town
- Admire the underground art of Stockholm’s subway stations
- Explore the idyllic Drottningholm Palace
- Pay a visit to the ABBA Museum in Stockholm
- Climb to the top of the tower on Stockholm’s City Hall
- Stay in an ice hotel in Kiruna, Sweden’s northernmost town
- See the Northern Lights from far north Swedish Lapland
- Visit Skansen, an open-air museum portraying traditional Swedish life
- Walk the Kungsleden, Sweden’s longest hiking trail
- Stop for fika (an afternoon break) and enjoy coffee and a cinnamon bun
Buses are the most budget-friendly transportation option in Sweden, and usually the most efficient, too. Flixbus and Nettbus are two popular choices.
Trains offer a scenic journey around the country, but are often more expensive.
Within cities like Stockholm, public transportation is abundant and efficient. Renting a bicycle is also an option, as cities in Sweden are very bicycle-friendly.
Where to stay