Puerto Rico is a territory of the United States located in the Caribbean. The island is known for its beautiful beaches, diverse landscapes, and colonial capital San Juan.
Puerto Rico quick facts
- Population: 3.2 million
- Language: Spanish and English
- Currency: US Dollar
- Capital city: San Juan
- Country size: 5,328 square miles
- High season: December through April
Top 10 things to do in Puerto Rico
- Explore the colorful capital of San Juan
- Visit the 16th-century Castillo San Felipe del Morro
- Hike through El Yunque, Puerto Rico’s rainforest
- Enjoy the pristine beaches on the island of Vieques
- Go ziplining at Toro Verde Adventure Park
- Explore Puerto Rico’s “second city” Ponce
- Try surfing (or windsurfing) in Rincon
- Visit the stunning Flamenco Beach on the island of Culebra
- Experience the magic of Puerto Rico’s bioluminescent bays
- Try arroz con gandules, a popular rice dish, or mofongo, made from plantains
Puerto Rico is a short flight away from the United States (about three and a half hours from New York). American citizens visiting Puerto Rico do not need a passport for entry.
Within Puerto Rico, renting a car is an easy and affordable way to explore the island (search for rental cars here). Public buses known as guaguas are even cheaper, and are great for getting around San Juan and nearby destinations like Isla Verde.
Within cities (and especially in San Juan), taxis and Ubers are also easy and affordable ways to get around.
Where to stay
- Hotel El Convento
- The Decanter Hotel
- Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
- Serafina Beach Hotel
- La Concha
- Caribe Hilton