Located in the Baltic region of Northern Europe, Lithuania is an underrated country that is worth a visit. Lithuanians are proud of their history and culture, including their resilience during the Soviet occupation. The capital city of Vilnius and the cultural capital Kaunas are both full of interesting history, architecture, and things to do.
Lithuania quick facts
- Population: 2.8 million
- Language: Lithuania
- Currency: Euro (EUR)
- Capital city: Brussels
- Country size: 25,212 square miles
- High season: Summer
Top 10 things to do in Lithuania
- Wander around the charming Old Town of Vilnius
- Visit Trakai Castle, a medieval fortress on an island in the middle of a lake
- Explore the “free town” of Uzupis, an enclave for artists in Vilnius
- Check out Kaunas, Lithuania’s second-largest city and cultural capital
- Visit the Gate of Dawn, a historic site in Vilnius
- Try the Lithuanian specialty cepelinai (potato dumplings)
- Visit the Hill of Crosses, a pilgrimage site with more than 100,000 crosses
- Learn about the Soviet occupation at the Museum of Occupations and Freedom Fights
- Take a hot air balloon ride over Vilnius
- Get to know Lithuanian culture and history at Rumsiskes Open Air Museum
The Old Town of Vilnius is very walkable. For traveling further distances within the city, public transportation (bus or tram) is your best option.
Trains operated by Lithuanian rail connect Vilnius with other popular destinations in the country like Kaunas. For some routes (like Vilnius to Trakai) it’s faster and cheaper to take the bus.
Where to stay