Latvia is one of the Baltic states in Northern Europe. Known for its architecture, delicious food, lively capital city, and resort towns, Latvia is a great destination in Europe that still remains somewhat underrated.
Latvia quick facts
- Population: 1.92 million
- Language: Latvian
- Currency: Euro (EUR)
- Capital city: Vilnius
- Country size: 24,938 square miles
- High season: Summer
Top 10 things to do in Latvia
- Take a walking tour of Riga’s charming Old Town
- Get a bird’s eye view of Riga from the top of St. Peter's Church
- Hit the beach at the popular Baltic Sea resort town Jurmala
- Go for a hike in Gauja National Park
- Grab some fresh local food from Riga’s Central Market
- Take a day trip to the stunning Rundale Palace
- Admire the Art Nouveau architecture of Riga’s downtown streets
- Go for a “bog walk”
- Ride the cable car in Sigulda, a popular day trip from Riga
- Try Latvia’s most popular dessert, rye bread pudding
Getting around Latvia
Latvia has a good commuter train system connecting the capital city of Riga with nearby destinations like Jurmala and Sigulda. For exploring further afield from Riga, public buses are usually the best and most efficient way of getting around.
Riga itself is very walkable and the city is full of parks, making it easy to explore on foot. Cycling is also a popular way to explore Riga, as well as the smaller resort towns.
Where to stay in Latvia