Austria is a country in Europe known for its cosmopolitan cities and breathtaking natural beauty. The cities of Vienna, Salzburg, and Graz are hubs for architecture, history, and culture, while the Austrian Alps provide opportunities for winter sports, hiking, and cycling.
Austria quick facts
- Population: 8.8 million
- Language: German
- Currency: Euro (EUR)
- Capital city: Vienna
- Country size: 32,386 square miles
- High season: June through August
Top 10 things to do in Austria
- Explore Vienna’s many palaces like Belvedere, Hofburg, and Schönbrunn
- Visit Vienna’s famous Christmas market in December
- Visit the picture-perfect fairytale village of Hallstatt
- Hit the slopes in the alpine town of Innsbruck
- See stunning views of Salzburg from the Hohensalzburg Fortress
- Explore The Sound of Music filming locations in Salzburg
- Experience Salzburg Festival, a music festival dedicated to classical music
- Visit Austria’s second-largest city Graz for food and culture
- Try Austrian favorites like wiener schnitzel and apple strudel
- Sail down the Danube on a river cruise
Train travel is one of the best ways to get around Austria. Trains operated by the OBB (Austria’s national railway) are fast and comfortable and connect popular destinations like Vienna, Salzburg, Graz, and Innsbruck.
Buses are another option for reaching more remote destinations that aren’t reachable by train, including many of Austria’s ski resorts.
Finally, renting a car is an option that provides the most flexibility for travelers in Austria. However, renting a car in Austria can be expensive and it’s not recommended for drivers without experience in mountainous driving.
Where to stay
1 Comment on “Austria Travel Guide”
What a fantastic blog! It’s great to see you made it to Austria. I’m an Australian now living in Austria running tours in the Austro-Italian Alps. Our aim is to get people off the well beaten tourist track and see something different. We’d love to see you down our way one day!