Australia is a vast country known for its diverse landscapes and excellent cities. From the Great Barrier Reef to the Outback to remote Tasmania, Australia is full of stunning natural beauty. Cities like Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane offer a lot to do, too, from urban beaches to art and culture.
Australia quick facts
- Population: 25 million
- Language: English
- Currency: Australian Dollar (AUD)
- Capital city: Canberra
- Country size: 2.97 million square miles
- High season: Summer (December-February)
Top 10 things to do in Australia
- Go diving at the Great Barrier Reef
- Climb to the top of Sydney Harbour Bridge
- Admire the iconic Opera House in Sydney
- Hike around Uluru in the Australian Outback
- Take a road trip along the Great Ocean Road
- Hit the beach in the Whitsundays Islands
- Explore the cool and trendy city of Melbourne
- Swim with manta rays in Coral Bay, Western Australia
- See the quokkas (a unique type of marsupial) on Rottnest Island
- Go hiking at Cradle Mountain in Tasmania
Australia is one of the largest countries in the world by area, and outside of its eastern coast, the country is sparsely populated.
Flying is the fastest way to cover large distances in Australia. A flight from Sydney to Cairns (the gateway of the Great Barrier Reef) is only three hours, whereas it would take more than twenty-four hours to drive.
Australia is a great road trip destination, though, so if you don’t mind a lot of driving, renting a car is a safe and fun way to explore more rural parts of the country. (Search for rental cars here.)
Within Australia’s major cities like Sydney and Melbourne, it’s easy to get around with public transportation.
I’m very jealous! It looks like such a beautiful place. I’ll make it there one day!