Located in the Balkans on the Adriatic Sea, the small country of Albania is often overlooked as a tourist destination in Europe. It has quite the interesting history, though, and I'm glad that I got a brief taste of it.
Albania quick facts
- Population: 2.8 million
- Language: Albanian
- Currency: Albanian Lek (ALL)
- Capital city: Tirana
- Country size: 11,100 square miles
- High season: Summer
Top 10 things to do in Albania
- Explore the lively capital of Tirana
- View Tirana from above by taking the cable car
- Go hiking in the Albanian Alps
- Visit Berat, the City of a Thousand Windows
- Relax on the stunning beach at Drymades
- Eat delicious, cheap seafood along the coast
- Visit Rozafa Castle in Shkoder
- Swim in the Blue Eye, a natural spring
- Explore Gijrokaster, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Try byrek with spinach, a favorite Albanian dish
Albania can be difficult to get around due to lack of infrastructure and limited, unreliable public transportation.
Renting a car allows for more freedom in exploring, but driving in Albania is not for the faint of heart and roads can be in poor condition.
Public buses and furgons (private shared minibuses) are the best way to get around without your own car. They are both very cheap, but can be unreliable. Albania also has a limited train network.
Where to stay
Sounds like a neat tour! Albania definitely is fascinating.