I first noticed it while walking along the Wisdom Path.

I stopped in my tracks. Just listened.

Despite the fact that Hong Kong was just kilometers away, all I could hear around me was bird song and a light breeze sifting through the trees along the path to Lantau Peak. It was green as far as the eye could see with mostly-haze-free blue skies above, and if I hadn’t come from the city just an hour earlier, I would have never believed that it was anywhere nearby.

Lantau Island tree

Wisdom Path on Lantau Island

Welcome to Lantau Island

Hong Kong can be quite an overwhelming place, especially if you’re not a fan of huge cities. It’s crowded and noisy and smoggy and big. And very, very tall. There ARE some green spaces to be found, just like in any large city, but if you really want to get a taste of “nature” in Hong Kong, you have to put in a little bit of effort.

I had never heard of Lantau Island before arriving in Hong Kong. But then suddenly everyone was telling me to go there to see the Big Buddha — one of the largest sitting buddha statues in the world.

Lantau Island

Why not?

I teamed up with a friend of a friend for the day and hopped on the MTR all the way to the end of the Tung Chung line. From there, we headed to the Ngong Ping 360 gondola station, where we bought tickets for fancy glass-bottomed cable cars that would take us over to Lantau Island.

Ngong Ping 360, Hong Kong

Taking the gondola is not ideal for those afraid of heights, but it’s the best way to get to Lantau. The 5.7-kilometer journey takes about 25 minutes, but was over in what felt like seconds.

Ngong Ping 360, Hong Kong

Ngong Ping 360, Hong Kong

Once on the island, you first walk through a little re-created village filled with souvenir shops and restaurants. Once you get through that, though, the island opens up before you. I visited in the morning (before noon) and found the island to be almost empty in comparison to the city I’d just left behind.

Lantau Island

There were three highlights for me on Lantau Island:

The Tian Tan Buddha, reigning over the island atop a hill along with six Devas presenting him with offerings. There are quite a few steps to climb up to see him, but it was worth it.

Tian Tan Buddha, Lantau Island

Tian Tan Buddha, Lantau Island

Devas, Lantau Island

Po Lin Monastery, which was unfortunately undergoing renovations when we were there, but was nonetheless quite peaceful and pretty.

Po Lin Monastery, Lantau Island

Po Lin Monastery, Lantau Island

Po Lin Monastery, Lantau Island

And the Wisdom Path, roughly halfway between the Big Buddha and Po Lin, which is a collection of 38 tall wooden pillars inscribed with verses from the Heart Sutra.

Wisdom Path, Lantau Island, HK

Wisdom Path, Lantau Island

Wisdom Path, Lantau Island

No matter where we were on the island, there was a lovely sense of calm that you won’t find in Hong Kong. Yes, Lantau Island is a tourist destination, but there are spots on it (especially if you visit in the morning during the winter months) that are virtually empty.

Lantau Island

Visiting Lantau Island was hands-down my favorite part of my trip to Hong Kong.

If you go...

GETTING THERE: Hop on the MTR to the end of the Tung Chung (orange) line. From there, I recommend taking the Ngong Ping 360 cable car. A round-trip in a standard cabin costs $150 HKD (about $19 USD), while a round-trip in a “Crystal Cabin” (AKA the glass-bottomed cars) costs $235 HKD (about $30 USD). Once you are on Lantau Island, the major attractions are free to visit, so this is actually a pretty economical day trip.

WHAT TO SEE: Climb up to see the Big Buddha (free, unless you want to go in the museum at the top or have lunch there); walk the Wisdom Path; visit Po Lin Monastery; take a bus to Tai O, a traditional fishing village built on stilts; or even climb Lantau Peak, the highest mountain in Hong Kong.

WHEN TO GO: The earlier in the day, the better. The crowds will arrive on the island around lunchtime, so to beat them there, go in the morning. If you want to expedite your wait time in line at the cable car stop, look into pre-booking your tickets online.

Would this be on YOUR Hong Kong itinerary?

Tagged with →

39 Responses to Lantau Island: A Green Escape From Hong Kong

1. Caitlyn says:

I loved Lantau Island – you’re right, it’s just so peaceful compared to the hustle and bustle of Hong Kong! You were lucky with the weather too by the looks of it :) When I was there unfortunately the cable car was undergoing renovations so we had to take a cab… after forty minutes I had never been so glad to see the steps up to the Giant Buddha, I was convinced we were going to the middle of nowhere!
    Caitlyn recently posted..Why I’m not that ‘girl who travels’

2. Quyen says:

How beautiful! I loved Hong Kong so much and I was bummed that I was not able to visit Lantau Island. Your photos are so beautiful! Thank you for sharing.
    Quyen recently posted..lunar new year chicken pho

3. EuroTripTips says:

Hong Kong is one of the few places in Asia that I actually want to visit, so I am bookmarking this. Looks like a lovely day trip!

4. It looks great and would definitely make a perfect day trip! Can’t wait to go there one day soon.
    Jen Seligmann recently posted..Destination of the Week – Prague

5. Rachel says:

The Wisdom Path looks fantastic! I’ve always wanted to see the Big Buddha but truly had no idea where it was located. Was it pretty hot or humid? I imagine it would be worthy to plan according to the weather as well.
    Rachel recently posted..I Heart Magic Kingdom in the Rain | Disney World Photography

The weather was perfect. It’s “winter” in Asia right now, but it wasn’t cold at all (by my standards) in HK. The day we went to Lantau was sunny but cooler – perfect for exploring!

6. Liv says:

Lantau is definitely on my list. Love the photos, Amanda!

7. I’ve only been to Hong Kong as part of a business trip, so I haven’t really had the chance to travel around to tourist destinations. But Lantau Island is probably the one place I’d definitely spare my time for if I visit there next time, other than visiting Macau.
    Andrew Darwitan recently posted..Deep Inside Amazon Flooded Forest in River Safari Singapore

8. Julie says:

I would definitely love to visit here while in Hong Kong. Your photos and description reminds me a lot of Chapultepec Park in Mexico City. Here you have the most populated city in the world but then there is this gorgeous and massive park-so much greenery, so much quiet peacefulness!
    Julie recently posted..Spanish Smackdown-Seville vs. Granada

9. Allyson says:

Great article! I visited the Big Buddha at the end of December with my 4 yr old and we both loved it. I arranged cable car tickets in advance via http://www.np360.com.hk/en/ which got us into a shorter ticket line on a busy day. No matter how many times I visit Hong Kong, I am always surprised by the nature that can be found just outside the city.
    Allyson recently posted..Still our favorite travel stroller… The UPPAbaby G-LUXE

Arranging tickets ahead of time is smart! We waited in line quite a while, even though we went early in the morning.

10. I had never heard of Lantau island before, but it will certainly be in my top list of attractions to visit if I ever find myself in Hong Kong. I love Buddha statues, big and small!
    Stefania – the Italian Backpacker recently posted..The Ghetto of Venice

11. Rod Austin says:

Great post. Any photos of that glass-bottom cabin? I’m sure it was exciting (or scary, depending on who’s riding) ;-)

I do have a few photos, but they aren’t great so I didn’t include them in the post. It was really cool to look down over the water and terrain we were passing over though!

12. Catherine says:

Lantau Island looks so peaceful and relaxing, will definitely check it out if I’m ever in Hong Kong. Sounds like you had a great day out :)
    Catherine recently posted..An Eastern European Feast

13. Heather says:

I loved Lantau Island! Though somehow I missed those amazing pillars between the Buddha and Po Lin. Probably because I was in a rush to get to Tai O fishing Village on the other side of the island. I highly recommend visiting that village on your next trip – it was my favorite part of the island!
    Heather recently posted..Snapshot: Central Park in Winter

Ah, yeah, the Wisdom Path is at the end of a trail that starts about halfway between the Big Buddha and Po Lin. You have to walk along it for maybe 10 minutes or so before you get to the pillars!

We wanted to go to Tai O, but by the time we did everything else, it was mid-afternoon and the tourist crowds were starting to arrive. We also wanted to be back in the city at a certain time to meet people for dinner, so we decided to skip it. It looks really cool in photos I’ve seen, though!

14. What a fascinating place! Really enjoyed your photos too.
    Anne McKinnell recently posted..Sony NEX 6 Digital Camera Review

15. Helen says:

That looks so beautiful! I’d love to go to Hong Kong!

My favourite is the Buddha with the sun shining above! :)
    Helen recently posted..The Time I Saw Madonna’s Bush and Other Hollywood Stories

16. Sarah says:

Really excited about going there! I was looking for things to do in HK in my upcoming trip… You’ve convinced me to check out Lantau!
    Sarah recently posted..Torajan Death Rituals

17. Great shots! You really were lucky with the weather — now it’s absolutely awful, cold and grey! Looking good!
    Oneika the Traveller recently posted..Why you should go to Tokyo

18. […] A Dangerous Business Travel Blog […]

19. […] I love reading about when other people visit Hong Kong. Everyone has such a different opinion on this city, but most everyone agrees it’s good to get away from the city sometimes. Amanda of A Dangerous Business writes about a place I’ve always found really special, Lantau Island: A Green Escape From Hong Kong […]

20. […] are a few “Hong Kong musts” that I missed: visiting Lantau Island, checking out Victoria Peak, seeing the small villages on the islands, hiking into the mountains, […]

21. This is one interesting green side of Hong Kong that I’d like to experience :)