Switzerland is known for being one of the most beautiful countries in Europe, with stunning mountains, alpine lakes, and scenic railways lines winding through the countryside. Although its status as the most expensive country in the world deters many budget-minded travelers, the beauty of Switzerland makes it well worth a visit.
Switzerland quick facts
- Population: 8.57 million
- Language: German, French, Italian, and Romansh
- Currency: Swiss Franc (CHF)
- Capital city: Bern
- Country size: 15,940 square miles
- High season: Summer (July and August)
Top 10 things to do in Switzerland
- Head to Interlaken for outdoor activities in the summer or winter months
- Explore the capital city Bern’s charming medieval Old Town
- Attend Art Basel, a famous annual international art show
- Hit the slopes at St. Moritz, one of the best ski destinations in the world
- Visit scenic Lake Lugano on the border with Italy
- Take a scenic ride through the Swiss countryside on the Albula/Bernina rail line
- Explore the picturesque town of Lake Lucerne
- Try Swiss cheese in Gruyères or the Emmental Valley
- Hike the Swiss Alps from Zermatt or Grindelwald
- Visit the Christmas markets of Basel, Zurich, and Geneva
Trains are the best way to travel in Switzerland. Train travel in Switzerland is fast, efficient, and incredibly scenic. The cost of trains can add up quickly, but discount passes like the Swiss Travel Pass and Swiss Half Fare Card can help you save money. Search Swiss train tickets here.
Within cities, public transportation is fast and economical. In more rural areas, getting around by bus, cable car, or funicular is common. Renting a bike is also a great way to get around and explore the Swiss countryside.