Ecuador is a country in South America with a varied landscape encompassing the foothills of the Andes, the Amazon rainforest, rugged beaches, and the biodiverse Galapagos Islands. Ecuador is also known for its well-preserved colonial cities including Quito and Cuenca.
Ecuador quick facts
- Population: 16.6 million
- Language: Spanish
- Currency: U.S. Dollar (USD)
- Capital city: Quito
- Country size: 109,483 square miles
- High season: June through September and December
Top 10 things to do in Ecuador
- Experience wildlife encounters in the Galapagos Islands
- Go ziplining or canyoning in Baños, Ecuador’s adventure capital
- Explore the beautifully-preserved colonial town of Cuenca
- Visit the Bellavista Cloud Forest Reserve outside Quito
- Adventurous eaters can try the Ecuadorian specialty cuy (guinea pig)
- Enjoy llapingachos (potato pancakes) and locro de papa (potato stew)
- Go for a hike on the rare glacial volcano Cotopaxi
- Admire the pretty Quilotoa Lake inside a volcanic caldera
- Explore Quito’s historic center, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Visit the Amazon rainforest and explore the jungle by boat
Buses are the most popular (and cheapest) way to get around in Ecuador. Routes are available between most major cities.
Flying within Ecuador is also an option, although not as budget-friendly. In order to reach the Galapagos Islands from mainland Ecuador, flying or traveling by ship will be necessary.