Relaxing at Iceland’s Blue Lagoon

Blue Lagoon in Iceland

It was like being in some sort of late-night-food-induced dream. You know, the kind where you're walking on the ceiling and people are climbing out of suitcases?

I was in the middle of a swirling world of fog and mist, the lapping of waves the only major sound to be heard. Out of the steam, two women with their faces covered in white goo materialized, jabbering in a foreign language as they glided past, their hair arranged in odd piles atop their heads. From the other direction, a teen boy floated by, munching on an ice cream bar.

And everywhere I looked, I saw milky blue.

Blue Lagoon, Iceland

But this wasn't some weird dream — it was the infamous Blue Lagoon in Iceland.

Blue Lagoon in Iceland

Located between Reykjavik and Keflavik International Airport, the Blue Lagoon is the perfect place to either begin or end your trip to Iceland — in fact, you're even encouraged to do so by Reykjavik Excursions, who run the Flybus that is the easiest way to get to Reykjavik from the airport. You can buy Flybus tickets with a visit to the Blue Lagoon built in for a reasonable price.

I chose to end my time in Iceland with a few hours of relaxation at the Blue Lagoon.

Blue Lagoon, Iceland

I was a bit skeptical at first, and could not fathom how I would enjoy spending 4 hours floating around in a pool of blue wastewater (because that's what the Lagoon really is — wastewater from a nearby power plant; but don't worry, it's not toxic).

I'm not a spa person or a beach person. Honestly, I'm not any kind of person that is required to wear a bathing suit.

I don't like massages or any other activities that require strangers to touch me repeatedly, either. And I didn't even have a travel buddy to chat with to keep my mind off feeling uncomfortable in such an atmosphere.

But, as soon as I arrived at the Blue Lagoon and stored my backpack in the free cabin provided by the Flybus, I quickly realized that I didn't have as much to fear as I originally… feared.

Blue Lagoon, Iceland

Upon arrival to the Blue Lagoon, you walk along a lava path for a short while until you get to the spa building itself. If you want to take some photos of the unreal blue water, make a quick detour off to your left before going inside — this part of the Lagoon was empty when I got there, and was just as breathtaking as any photos I'd ever seen of it. Yes, it's true that the Lagoon is not natural, but you'd be surprised at how unbothered by this you become when you actually see it up close.

Blue Lagoon, Iceland

After snapping some photos in the cold morning air, I hurried inside to hand in my ticket. I decided spur-of-the-moment to splurge and pay extra for a towel and fluffy white robe, and was given both of these as well as a blue plastic bracelet that would serve as my locker key and bar/cafe tab all at once.

Then it was into the changing areas.Β Thankfully, I had been warned.

If you have no clue what I'm talking about, let me be blunt: If you are a women, be prepared to see lots of lady parts hanging out all over the place. Boobs, butts, and everything in between, on women of all ages. (And if you're a dude, you'll likely see plenty of man parts.)

As surprising as it may be for most Westerners (I'm looking at YOU, Americans), not everyone else in the world is as obsessed with privacy and modesty as we are. While the Blue Lagoon does provide a few fully-enclosed changing rooms, most of the changing here is done out in the open, for all to see. No shame, ladies, no shame. (I actually kind of love this – a woman should never be ashamed of her body!)

Blue Lagoon, Iceland

Showering — which you must do sans clothing before you enter the Lagoon — is also done mostly out in the open, so don't be surprised to walk around the corner and see… well, everything.

If you aren't too traumatized after changing, figuring out the locker system, and hopping under a shower, then it's finally time to head out to the Lagoon itself. You can either walk straight outside and enter the water that way, or you can ease into the water indoors and then make your way outside via a huge, heavy wooden door.

Blue Lagoon, Iceland

I opted for the latter option, and was pleased to find that the water was just about the perfect temperature for relaxing in — somewhere in between a bathtub and a hot tub.

Once outside, I was struck by just how big the lagoon is. There are various little pools everywhere, a cave, multiple covered bridges, a waterfall, and even a floating bar. Yes, a floating bar. Grab a drink and maybe even an ice cream bar, and get to floating. If you want a massage while lazing in the Lagoon, you'll have to book it far in advance.

Blue Lagoon, Iceland

The Blue Lagoon is renowned not only for its odd color, but also because the water is rich in silica and sulphur — both said to be fantastic for the skin. Find one of the stations full of white silica along the edges of the Lagoon, and slather up. I put a bit on my face, but honestly can't report any drastic improvements to my skin… Maybe I was doing it wrong?

Blue Lagoon, Iceland

The 4 hours I had to spend at the Lagoon actually flew by. I floated around for a while, seeking out the extra-hot spots in the water and watching goo-faced people glide through the steam. I took a break and sat in the “relaxation area” inside with my fluffy robe and my kindle for a while, and also grabbed some lunch before going to soak some more.

Blue Lagoon, Iceland

I loved the fact that the blue bracelets they give you allow you access to your secure locker as often as you want. And I loved how truly relaxing this place is.

Say what you want about it — I loved visiting the Blue Lagoon, and would definitely recommend it to anyone visiting Iceland. Even if you don't like spas or massages or other womens'Β boobs, chances are you will still enjoy the Blue Lagoon. I know I did!

Sunrise at the Blue Lagoon in Iceland

And now…

Some practical tips for visiting the Blue Lagoon:

• Go early. Around noon or 1 p.m., the Blue Lagoon starts to get crowded. If you want to enjoy the warm water in peace, try to get there as early in the morning as possible (or later in the afternoon would probably also be less busy).
  • Leave the modesty behind. As mentioned above, forget about being self-conscious — no one else will be. And don't be surprised (or offended) when you meet stark-naked people in the changing rooms.
  • Beware your hair. The silica and sulphur in the water of the Blue Lagoon may be good for your skin, but it's definitely NOT good for you hair. Especially if you have long hair, apply conditioner liberally before going into the Lagoon, and don't rinse it out until you're ready to leave. Otherwise you'll be dealing with dry, brittle hair for days.
  • Pay for the extras. No, you don't need a fluffy robe or extra towel or drink from the floating bar… but they sure are nice to have. Just be aware that they do cost extra!
  • Relax. After all, this is what the Blue Lagoon is all about!

Book tours and tickets

Visiting the Blue Lagoon

Would you visit Iceland's Blue Lagoon?

Book your accommodation in Iceland:

Booking.com

• I never realized it was the result of wastewater from a power plant – I’m embarrassed to say I thought it was a naturally occurring lagoon all along!
    John of Travel Rinse Repeat recently posted..MoMA PS1 Art Museum in New York City – Unexpected Gallery Surprises

Haha, nope, not natural at all! It was just a lava field before. When they built the power plant, they figured they’d pump the wastewater out into the lava field and that it would just filter back down into the ground… well, it didn’t quite work as quickly as they thought it would, and the result is the Blue Lagoon! I think new water filters in from the plant every 2 days or something like that.

• Dean says:

Ah that looks so relaxing.
    Dean recently posted..Cycling to Poukham Cave in Vang Vieng, Laos

• Christine says:

Bahhhhh I would LOVE this!!! Seriously sounds like my ideal afternoon–and I love that the Flybus works it in! Need to remember this so that I can start AND end any trip to Iceland with some time at the Blue Lagoon πŸ™‚
    Christine recently posted..Riding buses in Vietnam: it’s always a daylong adventure

• Rob says:

While technically accurate, it’s a touch ingenuous to call the blue lagoon “wastewater from a powerplant”. This isn’t coolant from a nuke station. It’s the cooled superheated ground water that was used to create a steam in the geothermal powerplant, and then heat water that is used to heat the city.

I was amused at your surprise at an open change room and communal showers. Isn’t it like that at the health club at your university? Certainly it is (in the men’s area anyway) at the University of Colorado. And the change rooms at my health club are totally open, as are the showers. And I know from personal experience that the women’s change room at my health club is the same (yes, I was in there legitimately – I have EMT training and a lady had collapsed).

Anyway.. it looks like blue lagoon is an awesome experience that I’ll have to put onto my list. I’m not much of a sit-in-hot-tubs person, but I do like natural (or natual-ish) hotsprings. We’ve a bunch here in Colorado. Strawberry park in Steamboat is even clothing optional after 9pm.

Yes of course you’re right — there’s nothing wrong with the water, and it’s not “wastewater” in the sense that most people think of wastewater as. But technically, that’s what it is! It wouldn’t be there if the power plant wasn’t using it first.

And I went to a small university that barely had a rec center, let alone a health club. πŸ˜‰ So nope, never been in that sort of environment before! Luckily I knew what to expect — there were a handful of American women there who apparently had not been warned, however, and it was quite funny.

Definitely worth a stop in Iceland, though!

• Rob says:

It occurs to me to wonder what the water/mud smells like given its high sulphur content. I just re-read your posting and the idea of a massage whilst floating in the lagoon sounds wonderful. I can already see myself spending too much money there next year πŸ™‚

It actually doesn’t smell too bad, from what I can remember.

And if you do want a floating massage, make sure to book early! (Like, months early if you can!) They are very popular.

• Bananafitz says:

I had a floating back massage. I booked the day before!

Nice! I was told you had to book that sort of thing weeks in advance! Awesome that you were able to squeeze in the day before!

• Gypsy says:

Just in case people want a little more educational information on the subject of geothermal heating and the benefits it has on humans and the earth.

Cheers!

• Gaelyn says:

I do love soaking in hot water but the idea of waste water isn’t all that appealing. No smell huh?
    Gaelyn recently posted..What a wonderful family

It’s not really “waste” water; it’s not dirty or anything, since they just pull it up from the ground, convert it to steam to power turbines, and then send it into the Lagoon. πŸ˜‰ And I don’t remember it smelling at all… though, by that time I’d already been in Iceland for 5 days, and was quite used to everything smelling like sulphur!

• Brian Place says:

It does smell a bit sulphurous, but you won’t notice after a half-hour or so. The mud at the bottom (if you decide to scoop some up) is decidedly stinky. And the bar isn’t really “floating”, but you do wade/swim up to it. No seats, though. And no bottles- draft beer only (Viking brand).

I did not scoop any mud off the bottom — and now I’m glad I didn’t! Haha.

And perhaps “swim-up bar” would actually be more accurate. Whatever you call it, it’s cool though!

• Oh, I would definitely go! It looks so relaxing and ethereal, even. I am super interested in spa/ bath house culture in other countries, so this would be a really fun experience!
    Ariana {And Here We Are…} recently posted..A Quick Hop Across the Channel, and About Dreaming a Little

• Really interesting! The Blue Lagoon is such an iconic place, it’s great to learn more about it (I had no idea it wasn’t natural!)
    A Montrealer Abroad recently posted..Postcards from the magical sunsets of Brighton

I had no idea either, until right before I went! But yes, it’s such an iconic place that I knew I couldn’t skip it. And I’m glad I didn’t!

• Ayngelina says:

You look so cute!
    Ayngelina recently posted..Aloha Molokai

• I’m with you…pretty much if it requires getting wet I’m not going to be a fan. But this is something I need to make an exception for just once…
    D.J. – The World of Deej recently posted..Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort

• Andrea says:

Love the idea of this place – sounds like the water’s properties are healing like the Dead Sea but this looks like much more fun!
    Andrea recently posted..About You

You don’t float as well here as in the Dead Sea, though. πŸ˜‰ But it certainly isn’t like any other body of water in the world that you’re likely to soak in!

• Sarah says:

You clearly WEREN’T USING ENOUGH mud!! πŸ˜› When I put it on, I put it on really thick, and then my face just about froze off… I also read about conditioning before you went in the water AFTER I went in the water, on the way out actually. So my advice would be to actually read the instruction before going in. I’m glad they had a couple of showers/change room behind doors. I’m not European enough to bare all πŸ™‚
    Sarah recently posted..Where was I? Oh yeah, London

Haha, I was actually more concerned with the mud messing with my skin than helping it… That, and I didn’t want to get my hair wet! I remember you and Claire complaining about how dried-out your hair was, even days afterwards.

And I’m not “European enough,” either, but I just kind of changed quickly behind my towel. πŸ™‚

• Ruth says:

Water related activities are not at the top of my list but I will go to the Blue Lagoon for sure. One questions. Did you had to walk in the cold before getting to the warm water?
    Ruth recently posted..Brazil’s Dusty Azurre: Day 8 (Scene 2)

If you enter the water indoors, no, you don’t have to walk through the cold to get to the water. Which is what I did, because it was definitely cold out!

• I will definitely have to check out the blue lagoon in Iceland! It reminds me a lot of when I visited the dead sea, of course there are a few differences and the blue is more beautiful than the murky mud that awaits at the shores of the dead sea too!
    Heathers Harmony recently posted..Super Generic photos of the Las Vegas Stip

Yup, the blue hue here is definitely unique, and very easy on the eyes. Try to go if you can!

• Alison says:

I’ve always wanted to go here and this looks so beautiful and relaxing. I have to admit though, I wouldn’t know where to look in the changing rooms. I would probably be getting changed in the loos to avoid all of the nakedness!
    Alison recently posted..What Do You Pack For Six Months In Canada?

Haha, yeah the locker rooms can be a bit awkward if you’re not used to it! But I’m sure you’d survive. πŸ™‚

• I have wanted to visit the Blue Lagoon ever since it was highlighted during the Olympics in Iceland! What a super experience and yes I am one of those that would be a bit timid with the changing. But when in Rome. . .
    Debbie Beardsley @ European Travelista recently posted..Gorgeous Gorges du Verdon

You could just look at it as an opportunity to let it all hang out, because no one will be judging you!

• Such awesome pics! I had the best time there. You don’t like massages? Ahhhh I think they’re the best!!!
    Andi of My Beautiful Adventures recently posted..My Wedding & Honeymoon: Day 26

• Arti says:

Just surreal!! The fog, mist coupled with the blue water look just heavenly.
    When I went to the Himalayas, there was this natural hot water spring which had green water! Reminded me of that.
    Hope you are having a great week Amanda:)
    Arti recently posted..Flavors of Mathura: Lal Peda, Kachori, Samosa, etc (Where to Eat in Mathura)

Ooo, a green hot spring? That also sounds quite cool! But yes, the color of the Blue Lagoon definitely adds to the experience!

• Andrea says:

Wow, I had no idea it wasn’t natural. I’ve always wanted to go there though, and I’m still determined to go even if it’s man-made πŸ™‚
    Andrea recently posted..Snapshots of Seattle

Well, for what it’s worth, it wasn’t man-made on purpose — it was actually a complete accident! But leave it to Icelanders to turn an accident into the most popular tourist attraction in the country!

• Larissa says:

Your photos on Instagram were enough to convince me to go but this post has just made it a priority for 2012! It has to happen, it’s so (relatively) close to where I am living in Sweden. Wonder if it is cool to go year round or if there are some months I should try to avoid. Hmm….
    Larissa recently posted..Throwback Thursday: The Piano Man of Pripyat – Chernobyl

You are so close in Sweden, Larissa! I’ll bet you could find a good deal on IcelandAir, especially if you go during the off-season.

The summer months are the most popular to visit Iceland in, but you can go year-round! It does get colder in the winter, but I’m sure no worse that what you’re used to in Sweden!

• Emily says:

Oooh, so pretty! It looks fake! Iceland is really high on my bucket list, and going to the Blue Lagoon will be one of the first things I do.

• I’ve been wanting to go to Iceland for ages. This definitely will make my list. Thanks for posting!
    Christine | Grrrl Traveler recently posted..Are you a street-smart traveler or just travel-jaded?

Iceland seems to be on a lot of people’s lists these days… and for good reason! I’m already dreaming about a return trip.

• I’ve seen a number of photos of the blue lagoon but love your details about how it works and getting the most out of your experience.

As an American, I am long past the nudity issue we have here in the US. It’s definitely different for us but I’ve been on nude beaches, nude baths, and experienced it all. This shouldn’t hold anyone back from experiencing this at all. Definitely something I would love to do in Iceland.
    Jeremy Branham recently posted..7 off the beaten path places in Europe that tell a story

Thanks, Jeremy! I’m glad you liked the post. I’ve seen lots of photos of the Lagoon, too, but not so many posts with tips and descriptions about visiting. So hopefully this post helps fill that void!

And I agree — no one should let the nudity issue keep them from the Blue Lagoon!

• Stuart says:

Your pictures and post capture the atmosphere of the Blue Lagoon nicely. It’s great to read about someone else’s experience of it. Funny how we notice different things – we didn’t even notice the nudity (surprising perhaps being Brits), nor the effect on your hair (being a man), but we did enjoy the Krap, the Icelandic slush served from the bar (being with kids). The other worldliness is very striking though, especially if you visit as soon as you have arrived in Iceland. And isn’t it cool that you can do it as an excursions on the way to/from airport.
    Stuart recently posted..Does a happy revolution sound like this?

Thanks, Stuart! It is definitely funny how different people notice different things. Glad to hear you guys enjoyed the Lagoon, too!

And I think Reykjavik Excursions is genius for building in the Blue Lagoon into your Flybus ticket. Such a great way to get people to visit the Lagoon!

• Francy R says:

Never heard about this lake but it looks amazing! Did you get a massage? The pics are awesome!
    Francy R recently posted..How to Enjoy Berlin for Free

• The color of the water is so…. unreal. I would love to relax here for a day… and then come back again the next day.
    Stephanie – The Travel Chica recently posted..Eating My Way Through BA Part 2: Argentine Food and Middle-Eastern Flavors

• Amy says:

I’ve been to the Blue Lagoon several times now and I LOVE it! Whenever I fly to Europe, I try to book on Icelandair or Iceland Express and schedule a long layover on the way back. Well worth the effort! Grindavik (where the Blue Lagoon is) is pretty close to the airport. You can use the Flybus or hire a taxi driver, I’ve done both and had no issues.

IcelandAir is VERY smart for allowing free stopovers in Reykjavik between North America and Europe. It’s such a great idea on their part!

• Lee says:

I really enjoyed reading your article. It made me chuckle and smile. I’ve been to the Blue Lagoon and know exactly what you are talking about. You describe it very well and the pics are great! Even though I am not into massages I had one, outside in the spa and it was fantastic!! When you get a massage you get a gift pack of products to take home, and a bathrobe and towel to use, which I would recommend leaving both in your locker while in the pool. Also, the waterfall is another great massage. There is also a viewing roof for photo taking. Great article, thank you πŸ™‚

Glad to hear you enjoyed both my post and the Blue Lagoon itself! I don’t know of anyone who’s been and didn’t enjoy it.

• Curt says:

With your modesty safely left in Iceland, your next stop can be the Friedrichsbad in Baden-Baden!

I’m a guy with short hair, and it still took days for me to get the Blue Lagoon silica out of my hair. If I’m every there again, I’ll remember your conditioner trick.
    Curt recently posted..How to order coffee at McDonald’s in Phoenix

The conditioner is key! I actually think they had a sign suggesting it in the women’s showers, but I could be making that up…

• Claire says:

That looks so nice! I actually didn’t know that the Blue Lagoon wasn’t natural. I still want to visit it though!

• I was very surprised to read about the changing room. I would probably be self conscious as well, yet, like you, I would do it anyway. Even though the lagoon is not natural, its color is spectacular, the mountains around it look pretty natural and this all place looks fantastic. I would definitely go.
    Ayelet – All Colores recently posted..Video of the Week: Winter Wonderland at the End of the World

• Alouise says:

I didn’t know the blue lagoon was actually wastewater. Still looks really pretty, and definitely a place I’d want to check out.
    Alouise recently posted..Stories Beat Stuff 2 C

It’s not like dirty, toxic wastewater though, as it’s only used in a hydro/steam power plant. But it definitely wouldn’t be there if it weren’t for the plant!

Most definitely worth a visit!

• Douglas says:

We will be visiting Iceland in the next few weeks for a honeymoon trip. I was lucky to visit Japan a few years ago and went to an Onsen. Your description reminds me somewhat that. Onsens, at least with my experience, are segregated by gender and are small, hot pools, rather than a large lake. The whole bath experience is ritualistic, and of course, the nudity is not a concern; it all hangs out. So I believe it is we uptight Americans who worry worry about these things, rather people of other cultures. By the way, we are planning on visiting Blue Lagoon immediately on the morning of arrival to Iceland. And we are looking very much forward to doing so.

It is very much a Western thing, I think, to be so concerned about modesty (I’ve talked to some Australians who were similarly surprised at the Blue Lagoon, so I don’t think it’s only Americans). Enjoy Iceland!!!

• Ali says:

It looks really cool, but I was a little weirded out when you said it’s waste water from a power plant. Then the stuff about the locker rooms…ugh. I’m not a fan of that stuff. Especially the mandatory shower in front of everyone else in there? Yuck. I can’t handle massages either, not my thing. I think I’ll wait until I actually book a trip to Iceland before I decide about going to Blue Lagoon. I’m glad you enjoyed it though!
    Ali recently posted..One Day in Wanaka

Haha, don’t be weirded out! The power plant is a hydro/geothermal one, so the water is turned to steam, used to move turbines, and then pumped into the lagoon — so it’s by no means dirty wastewater! The locker rooms might not be your thing, but if you go early enough, you can probably get through the awkward bits quickly without much of an audience!

• Lee says:

Don’t be alarmed at the locker and shower rooms. You can be private. The locker rooms are broken down into several sections, with bathrooms, and there are private change rooms. Also in the shower rooms there are private showers. There are as many people being private as being nude.

Yup, all true. Though, it’s much easier to just get over the self-consciousness and go with the flow. πŸ˜‰

• Ediakaran says:

If you can clarify this it will be great! After you take the shower and put your swimsuit, can you actually take your towel with you to the area where you will be at the lagoon or you put everything in the locker provided?What if I want to take my camera while in the lagoon? Do I have to go back to the locker to put it there after Im done or there’s a place (not the locker) that I can leave it?

Thanks!

You can take anything with you that you want! However, when I went, there weren’t any chairs or anything else outside, so there wasn’t really anywhere to put a towel or camera or other things once you got into the Lagoon. I did take my waterproof camera into the Lagoon with me, but I then went and put it back into my locker when I was done with it.

• Ediakaran says:

Thanks for your response! I understand then that most people leave their towels in the lockers and after taking their time in the lagoon just go straight to the lockers to shower? I read somewhere about the etiquette in the thermal pools and I think it said that is not well seen by the locals that you go all wet and dripping to the lockers.

Well, I don’t know how many locals you’ll actually find at the Blue Lagoon, first of all… haha. And, like I said, when I was there (on a cold and damp day), there wasn’t really anywhere to hang/set a towel outside. There was a room with tables and chairs just inside the doors that people were leaving towels/shoes in before they went to the Lagoon. I suppose you could leave your towel/robe there. But, there were SO many towels/robes piled up, that I don’t see how you could possibly find your own again upon exiting the Lagoon…

• Ediakaran says:

I think the etiquette “rules” applied to geothermal pools that locals frequent more! Thanks for answering my questions!

Your passion for travel remind me of when I decided to just explore the World even if nobody wanted or could travel with me; as of today I can say that I finish visiting the 7 New Wonders of the World, it took me 7 years and in my way I visited many other countries with great cultures and sites…still there is so much to see out there. Happy travels!

• julia says:

hey i’ll be in iceland for honeymoon in this coming october!!! :)))
    we were planning to go to the blue lagoon on the first day after we arrive at 6:30am! how long do you think we should spend in blue lagoon? and what are your recommendations if we are eating there?

The length of time you spend really depends on how much you like to relax! I easily spent 4 hours there, and I’m not really much of a spa person! The good news is that if you book your ticket through FlyBus, you can then catch any FlyBus back to Reykjavik (they’ll give you a schedule with your ticket), so you don’t have to decide beforehand how long you want to spend!

• Megan says:

Aah, this looks amazing! I’m just dying to visit Iceland, and the Blue Lagoon is definitely on my list. (I was kind of put off by the fact that it’s really just power plant runoff, but I think I can get over it, as it looks so relaxing and peaceful.)

It is well worth a visit! Once you’re there soaking in the nice water, I promise you won’t care where it came from!

• Nichole says:

Thanks for such an informative post! We are planning a trip to Iceland next summer…now I know to watch out for the old lady boobs! LOL We are definitely interested in spending some time at the Blue Lagoon and your pics and thoughts make me want to even more. πŸ™‚

• KKarin says:

Hi,
    Great article! Thanks so much for the details on the actual experience. We already knew we wanted to visit the Blue Lagoon on our trip in June, but there is very little info on how things work/what it is like. You did a fantastic job of ‘bringing us with you’ on your trip, and it is much appreciated.

One quick question: We have a 4 (almost 5) year old who is a great swimmer, and wondered if he be allowed in the lagoon? We obviously would stay with him the entire time, but I don’t see a lot of pictures or info online about younger kids going in.

Thanks again for the great info!

• How could wastewater look so beautiful??!! Iceland is definitely on my must-visit destination, and I’ll remember to include Blue Lagoon when I get to chance to actually visit it. =)
    Andrew Darwitan recently posted..7 Wonders of Singapore

• Rodger says:

I’m disappointed to learn that its not clothing optional. I’d be more interested if I didn’t have to wear a bathing suit.

• Emily says:

Thank you so much for posting this – very helpful. I’ll be in Iceland later this year and the lagoon is scheduled on my last day there. I’m traveling solo, so was a bit worried about looking like a dimsum on my own there. Good to know about the tips. Will save this. πŸ™‚

• Becky says:

Wow this looks amazing! I am in the early stages of planning my first overseas solo trip and the Iceland stopover looks more appealing by the day!

• SZS says:

So, super offensive to anyone without a perfect body, which frankly even girls with perfect bodies think theirs is something to be ashamed of because hyper critical body image issues run rampant. Just saying I was enjoying your post until I ran up against your disgust of people that don’t look like what you think is acceptable. I know you probably meant it to be funny, but commenting harshly on women’s bodies is basically girl on girl crime.

How is it offensive? I think it’s great that people in Europe are more confident about their bodies than I am. My audience is mostly North American – we’re not used to to this, and I’m just being honest about what you’ll see. Where did you read the disgust?

• John says:

One might read it here: “If you are a women, be prepared to see lots of saggy old lady boobs. Perhaps some perky young ones, too, but definitely lots of saggy ones. […] If you aren’t too traumatized after changing, …” Happy aging (with more respectful wisdom) to you, too πŸ˜‰

Hey, I’ll have saggy boobs one day, too. That’s just reality! Nothing wrong with that, though. Aging is aging. It’s just not something most Americans are used to seeing in a (relatively) public place.

• Hoping to visit the Blue Lagoon one day! Just came across this post of yours, and I’m going to start reading all your Iceland posts, since it’s the next destination I’m hoping to visit πŸ™‚
    theworldbyfaith recently posted..The World By Faith on Facebook

• Liz Fisher says:

You made me laugh! It sounds that seeing saggy boobs is the only unpleasant thing at the Blue Lagoon. I’d love to visit that amazing place!

• Sabrina says:

Having been to a bunch of hot springs, I was hoping that the Blue Lagoon would feel a bit more authentic and less man made. I would think that Iceland’s geothermal energy would produce some natural hot springs that feel a bit more authentic. I still had fun though

Well, the Blue Lagoon IS man-made! So that’s probably why it felt that way. πŸ™‚ There are tons of natural hot springs all around the country, but you often have to have the insider knowledge about where they are to find them.

• Berry Todessa says:

This was a great story, until of course the obligatory attack on Americans. Its an attitude that turns many off to world travel. Never ceases to amaze me how some feel the need to scold Americans for some basic modesty.

There is no attack on Americans – I AM an American, and it’s a fact that we’re a fair bit more modest when it comes to things like this than most Europeans.

• Lisa says:

Just stumbled into this site as I was checking out blue lagoon. Can’t believe the amount of blogs you have received. Also it is much cleaner and hygienic than the natural places to swim in, it seems. So what’s the thing about the smell as I know swimming pool smell of chlorine and damage yr hair and eyes and whatever else if swallowed by accident.

There’s no chlorine at the Blue Lagoon, but you might notice a sulphur smell that’s just natural in many parts of Iceland. The minerals in the water here can still damage your hair, though – that’s why you should definitely put lots of conditioner in!

• Farida Bobat says:

Dear Amanda
    Your 10 day itinerary for Iceland in winter is fantastic! Your photos are beautiful! I’m planning a 10 day trip to Iceland in May this year. Will you be able to help me with planning this trip? I would love to see the natural beauty of the country and also the culture there. Your help will be much appreciated. I would like suggestions on places to definitely see, how to get there, accommodation and time in each place. I will be travelling with my son who is an adult.

• Annie Lo says:

Thank you for your post. Your review was extremely helpful and your photos are wonderful. May I ask how early did you arrive to the Blue Lagoon? I’m wondering if an 8:00am arrival time will give me great photos like yours. Thanks in advance

Hi Annie. I’ve actually visited twice – once in the afternoon, and once in the morning. The Blue Lagoon used to not open until 9 or 9:30 a.m. in the winter, but they’ve recently expanded and now appear to be open at 8 a.m. every day. In the winter, it will still be dark at 8 a.m. and you may get to watch the sunrise. During the summer, it will already be full-light by that time.

• Lauren Whiting says:

Do you remember how much it was to get in?