As the shuttle I was in trundled away from Budapest’s Ferihegy airport on Friday evening, I was slightly confused. And mildly worried.

The flat Hungarian land filled with farm fields and green trees as far as I could see looked suspiciously like the flat Ohio land filled with farm fields and green trees that I had just left behind a day earlier. In fact, if all the signs hadn’t been in a language I couldn’t read, I probably could have been convinced that I hadn’t actually left the American Midwest at all.

I was confused because this wasn’t necessarily what I had expected to find in Budapest. I had expected it to feel… well, more European, I guess. For about 10 minutes, I feared that maybe I would be let down by the very first stop on my 2-month trip. I was afraid that perhaps Lauren was right and Budapest was just a “meh” kind of European city.

But I needn’t have worried.

The closer we got to Budapest’s city center, the taller the buildings grew and the more “European” the architecture got.

St. Stephen's Basilica, Budapest

St. Stephen’s Basilica

In fact, by the time we reached the train station I was being dropped off at, I may have been drooling slightly over all the beautiful buildings we passed.

Budapest

I spent the next two days exploring Budapest by foot. I saw as much as I could, and wandered in as many directions as my tired feet would allow. I could easily go on and on about how beautiful and amazing Budapest is as a city (because, seriously, it is), but I think you’d probably prefer to look at pretty photos. Right?

Here’s the best of Budapest that I got to see during my first couple of days in Europe:

Margaret Bridge, Budapest

The Elizabeth Bridge and a pretty church

Ruin Bar, Budapest

A ruin bar downtown

Budapest

Parliament and some bridges

The Danube, Budapest

An endless line of boats on the Danube

Heroes Square, Budapest

Statues in Heroes Square

Szechenyi Baths, Budapest

The colorful Szechenyi Baths

The Danube, Budapest

The Danube at night

Yes, it is safe to say that I fell in love with Budapest.

I definitely WILL be back someday — hopefully soon!

Do you want to fall in love with Budapest, too? Check out some of these great day tours:

Urban Adventure Tours

Which of these Budapest shots is your favorite?

Tagged with →

70 Responses to Budapest, You Are Beautiful

1. Callie says:

Great pics – I am in LOVE with that patterned roof!
    Callie recently posted..MY MOST EMBARRASSING SPANISH MOMENT EVER

2. Joseph says:

I am so glad you loved Budapest. Throughout my life I had the opportunity to visit this gem of a city about 14 times (next occasion in 3 weeks). By far my favorite bridge (out of 8) is the Elizabeth Bridge. Speaking of bridges, have you heard the legend about the lions on Chain Bridge?
    Joseph recently posted..Ghosts and real people at the Festival of Light

I wasn’t really sure what to expect in Budapest, and I was absolutely blown away by how much I loved it. I definitely need to go back to see more!

And no, I don’t know about the lions on the Chain Bridge!

3. Kerwin says:

Nice Amanda. It’s been ages since I visited Budapest. Thanks for your pictorial essay.
    Which side did you stay?

4. Lauren says:

Amanda, you are crazy :)

In all seriousness, I’m sure the main reason I didn’t like it was because it was HUGE and I had to walk for 10 hours a day. Walking makes me sad. It looks like you had better weather too and clouds also make me sad ;)

Apparently, I’ll be returning to Budapest next month with Dave (sigh) so it’ll be interesting to see if I change my mind second time around!
    Lauren recently posted..Scenes from Koh Phi Phi

• First lesson learned here – when it comes to Budapest, listen to me and not Lauren. :)

Budapest is one of the most underrated cities in Europe and Hungary probably has the most unique history of any country in Europe. If you want to see more great areas of Hungary, check out Recsk and Eger. Hungary is an AWESOME country!
      Jeremy Branham recently posted..Find your freedom – where travel meets life

What I saw of Hungary was indeed awesome (we also went to Eger and Debrecen, along with Budapest). You are so right!

Have you been to Romania though? Also an amazing country thus far.

Haha, yeah, I definitely did a lot of walking. In the heat. And I don’t like heat. But I DO like walking around new cities, so it kind of canceled the heat out. Mostly.

You’ll have to let me know what you think after the second visit! Perhaps the weather will be nicer to you. And perhaps you should take the bus more. ;)

5. Yes, you are right. The city is beautiful!! And you always visit places when the weather is great.
    Ruth (Tanama Tales) recently posted..Taking the Plunge: Getting Under a Massive Waterfall

Lol, I promise it’s not always sunny when I go places! In fact, I’ve been to plenty of places when it was miserable and rainy. But I am having fairly decent luck here in Europe so far! The fact that it’s summer helps though, I think.

6. Wow, I love the bar shot. So Eastern European ;) I can’t wait to get to Budapest next year!
    A Montrealer Abroad recently posted..5 easy trips from Montreal

That particular ruin bar is called Szimpla, and was the first ruin bar in Budapest. It’s filled with foreigners now at night, but I still think it’s worth a visit just to see it!

7. jade says:

Beautiful shots! I’d love to visit Budapest and you’re photos are making me really want to!
    jade recently posted..Las Vegas in the Summer: Cool things to do when it’s over 100 degrees

8. Lindsey says:

Simply beautiful. Love that shot of the parliament building.
    Lindsey recently posted..How to Choose a Camera for Travel

9. The parliament building generally steals the limelight for the most photographed building in Budapest that I’ve never been aware of that gorgeous tiled roof on Matthias Church – stunning! I bought my parents flights to Budapest a couple of months ago for my father’s birthday… but now I wish I hadn’t been so selfless and bought the tickets for myself! :D

I can understand why the Parliament building would get photographed a lot… but there are plenty of other amazing buildings in Budapest, too! Sounds like you need to take a trip to Budapest!

10. Adam says:

I’m headed to Budapest in another month for the first time and am super excited. The Szechenyi Bath looks incredible :)
    Adam recently posted..Pretty Potsdam: a day trip from Berlin

You have to go to the baths when you’re there!! (There are also the Gellert Baths, but I was told those were slightly more touristy than Szechenyi.) Stay tuned for next week, when hopefully I’ll put a post up about visiting the baths.

11. Ohhhhh Lovely photos – I want to see the city. I always hate entering a place and feeling anxiety wondering “Is this It???”. But it always turns out alright doesn’t it!

12. Pauline says:

I’ve ALWAYS wanted to visit Budapest!! Love that Parliament building shot by the river!! Beautiful pictures!
    Pauline recently posted..A Day in the Sanctuary

I never really thought much about Budapest before this trip – didn’t really have a strong feeling about whether or not to visit. But now I’m so glad I did, and so glad that I allowed some extra time to explore!

13. memographer says:

Ohh! This is one beautiful set of pictures! Made me wanted to go to Budapest so badly!! I love bridges. Can’t wait to see Chain Bridge. Tiled roof of Matthias Church reminded me the roof of St. Stephen’s Cathedral in Vienna. Thanks for sharing!
    memographer recently posted..Salzburg: Mirabell Palace in Polaroids

Budapest has some beautiful bridges than span the Danube. I took way too many photos of most of them!

14. A friend just moved to Budapest. After seeing these photos, I’m thinking we might need to go visit him!
    Emily in Chile recently posted..Costanera Center, let’s chat

15. Andrea says:

I love Budapest too! My 5 day visit was no where near enough but hopefully I’ll be back next month. Your photos are stunning!
    Andrea recently posted..Praluline Nut Praline Bread

Lucky you that you’ll be back so soon! I definitely need to allow more time on my next visit, too.

16. Put me in the category of someone that felt a little bleh after leaving Budapest too! You’re pictures are beautiful and show the best the city has to offer. I definitely need to go again to see if my opinion was jaded by something. Beautiful picture, though, and I’m glad you had a wonderful time!
    Debbie Beardsley @ European Travelista recently posted..Yin and Yang of Life in Innsbruck

17. Darla Snow says:

wow. wow. the tiled roof of the cathedral is so lovely, and the statues and the architecture and well, just everything!

18. Wez says:

AMAZING photos Amanda! My parents want to head hear later this year, so I’m definitely going to show them these photos. Lovely day it seemed too.
    Wez recently posted..I’m different when I Travel – More Outgoing

Thanks, Wez! Yes, definitely share these with your parents to give them a little taste of what to expect! I was lucky and had 2 hot and sunny days, but I imagine Budapest would be just as lovely in any weather!

19. Juliann says:

Beautiful pictures. But the one that made me pause was the ruin bar. I’m not sure why, but I really like that picture.

Thanks, Juliann. I quite like that one, too. It’s still beautiful, just in a slightly different way than the rest.

20. Ekua says:

Wow, gorgeous architecture. It makes me wish I made a stop there when I was visiting Berlin & Prague. I like the closeup of the detail at Fisherman’s Bastion.
    Ekua recently posted..Eating in Berlin: The Currywurst Edition

21. I recognize most of the places in these pictures!! Isn’t it fun when that happens? It looks like you had great weather; for us, there was a lot of haze so many of our photos didn’t turn out very well. Bah humbug! =P Budapest is still a gorgeous city, though!
    Christy @ Technosyncratic recently posted..Tulips and Windmills in Holland: A Photo Essay

Bah humbug indeed! Yes, I got very lucky with the weather, though it was a bit hot, really! Suppose I’ll take hot and sunny over cold and rainy, though!

22. Eric Bynum says:

Wow I never thought Budapest was so beautiful. I love the old buildings and the colors of the city are amazing.
    Eric Bynum recently posted..5 Ways being an Expat has Prepared Me for Backpacking

23. Cherina says:

So glad you are enjoying your Eastern Europe trip. Budapest is a lovely city and your photos bring back lots of good memories. All those blue skies! Looks like you had some great weather while you were there :)
    Cherina recently posted..Florence and the Naked Man

The upside of traveling Europe in the summer is definitely the good weather! (The downsides, of course, being the heat and all the other tourists!)

24. I like the Ruin Bar picture. Definitely a unique way to party!

Did you go back at night and partake?
    jesse @ gntbudapest.info recently posted..Underground Budapest

I did not go back a night – I’m not much of a partier, especially when I’m traveling alone! But I’m told those ruin bars are quite popular after dark!

25. Ali says:

Great photos! I really want to go to Budapest, although I don’t actually know much about it. Looks like a really cool city to wander around in though.
    Ali recently posted..Heidelberg Castle Still Guarding Its Walls

You should look up a bit about Budapest! It’s actually a really interesting city, with a lot more to see and do than most people realize!

26. [...] A Dangerous Business - Budapest, You Are Beautiful Another beautiful photo wrap up of the time Amanda from A Dangerous Business spent in Budapest in her recent European adventure. If you like some great travel photos, or even Budapest, head on over for a look. [...]

27. [...] into mind. At least it didn’t for me. But with so many Budapest travel guides mentioning how beautiful and picturesque the city is, it’s hard to deny the city’s charm. The Hungarian capital [...]

28. kami says:

as you loved Budapest so much I’m sure you’d also enjoy Vienna, Prague and Krakow. These four cities are very similar and actually Budapest is my last favourite out of these.

29. [...] fallen in love with quite a few capital cities on my travels — Wellington, Budapest, Reykjavik, and London, to name a few. And I now have to also add Ljubljana to that [...]

30. [...] until Split — with the exception of 2 days in Budapest and 2 in Istanbul — I had spent most of my time in Europe with tour groups. First there was [...]

31. [...] end of June marked the beginning of my summer jaunt through Europe. I began in Budapest, Hungary, strolling along the Danube, checking out some ruin bars, and even finding time to hang out at the [...]

32. Alana says:

Hi there,

Great post. I’m planning my Budapest trip for this coming summer, and just wanted to know your thoughts on staying at a hostel instead of a hotel ; I’m told you can find a number of great hostels that offer bed and breakfast. I’m on a tight budget (backpacker, meh) and that’s my kind of thing. Let me know if you have any accommodation leads!

Best
    Alana

Definitely go for a hostel! I didn’t stay in any there myself, but definitely would if I went back. Go to any hostel booking site and have a quick search; there are loads in Budapest!

33. [...] last summer, I was already on my first budget flight. A 3-hour hop from Manchester, England to Budapest, Hungary. I booked with Jet2, and airline that I admit I had never even heard of before it popped up in a [...]

34. [...] of about 60,000, Eger still manages to possess that Hungarian charm that I fell in love with in Budapest, despite its miniature size. Cobbled streets empty into broad squares with towering cathedrals. [...]

35. Mary says:

Your pictures are amazing amd although I recently visited Budapest, I was glad to stop by your blog and view your lovely pictures and read about your experiences. TRavel sfae

36. […] visiting a ruin bar, or soaking at the Szechenyi Baths, I found myself loving everything about Budapest. Having only spent a couple of days there, it’s a city I definitely plan to return […]