I’ve written about my wild, windy day at Castlepoint before, but there are plenty more photos from that New Zealand outing that have been sitting on my computer for nearly 4 years, just itching to be shared. So, since I’ve been lazy this week and my brain is now mush after grad school finals, today I bring to you pretty pictures from Castlepoint.

Castlepoint, New Zealand

This coastal location can be found about 2 hours northeast of Wellington, and makes a fantastic weekend trip either as an alternative to or in conjunction with a visit to the Wairarapa wine country.

You will need a car of your own to get here, as it’s definitely not on the typical NZ tourist trail. Renting a car in Wellington is pretty easy, at least, but just be sure you pay for the vehicle insurance if you aren’t already covered! The roads out in middle-of-nowhere-New-Zealand can be quite windy and challenging!

Castlepoint map

And now for the pretty pictures…

Castle Rock from afar.

The wind-swept lagoon.

The lagoon from above.

Castlepoint, New Zealand

Pride Rock?!? Where’s Simba?

Sea cliffs.

A curious fur seal.

Castlepoint, New Zealand

No, the color of that water is not fake!

Climbing in the cliffs.

Swirling water.

At the lighthouse.

Castlepoint Lighthouse

One last farewell shot.

If it’s natural beauty and a bit of adventure you’re looking for, Castlepoint is a great off-the-beaten-track destination to consider.

Which photo is your favorite?

Tagged with →

14 Responses to Photo Essay: Castlepoint, NZ

1. wandergirl says:

Beautiful! I’d love to get to NZ some day.
    wandergirl recently posted..Père Lachaise + kissing Oscar Wilde

2. Beautiful photos! Were these taken with just your canon point and shoot?
    Heathers Harmony recently posted..Russian Street Markets vs. American Grocery Stores

Thanks, Heather! These were taken with an even smaller and less-fancy Canon point-and-shoot than the one I have now, back in 2008. Just goes to show you how photogenic New Zealand is, and that you don’t need an expensive camera to capture it.

3. Memographer says:

Wow! Beautiful Photos!!! I am your subscriber now ;)
    Memographer recently posted..How to order Nikon D800 and Get Cash Back

4. Adam says:

Looks beautiful – totally missed this on my road trip in NZ

It’s quite easy to miss; it’s not very well-advertised or anything. In fact, I have no clue how we even decided to visit it… but I’m glad we did! You’ll just have to add it to your “next time” list!

5. Love light houses of all kinds. Maybe because they are always in stunning and rugged locations.
    Reg of The Spain Scoop recently posted..The Scoop Interviews (no. 13): Scott Martin, ‘Madrid Man’

6. Wow, I love the last shot. Seems like you had a really nice day there!
    A Montrealer Abroad recently posted..Postcards from la belle Gaspesie

It was such a fun day! We actually went there on my birthday, and it was a great, different way to celebrate.