5 Places I Want to Visit that Mom and Dad Don’t Know About

Almost everyone has a bucket list.

A list of things they want to do or goals they want to reach before they die. For some, they actually construct a tangible list. For others, the goals and dreams are simply kept tucked away in their minds.

Travelers have these lists, too — collections of places they want to visit, experiences they want to have, and things they want to see all around the world.

I have a bucket list, too. My list contains everything from seeing the touristy sites in London to exploring the ruins of Petra, with tons of other things in between. And while I have typical “must-visit” destinations on my list, like Italy, Greece and France, I also have some less popular destinations in mind that my friends and family may not know about.

Though, perhaps “less popular” is an inaccurate phrase. “Less desireable to the average American” is probably more apt, because these are not your typical vacation destinations.

So here are my top 5 “less desireable to the average American” places that I want to visit:

Turkey

My secret love affair with Turkey (and much of Eastern Europe, for that matter) began back when I was in college and reading a book called “The Historian” by Elizabeth Kostova. The plot of the story blends the history and folklore of Vlad Tepes and his fictional equivalent Count Dracula in a story that is all at once thriller, historical fiction, travelogue and love story. While the story takes place all over the world, very important parts of it happen in Istanbul.

Kostova can evoke a sense of place in her writing better than any other author I know of, and, after reading “The Historian,” I found myself longing for the markets and mosques of Istanbul.

In the years since first falling in lust with Istanbul through writing, I have discovered other things I'd like to see and do in Turkey, as well. Yes, I want to visit the Hagia Sophia and Blue Mosque and wander through Istanbul's famous spice market, but I also want to float in a hot air balloon over Cappadocia, sail down the Bosporus, and maybe even visit the ruins of Troy.

Romania

Photo by: kikiricky

My weird interest in Romania also stemmed from “The Historian,” I think. While I'm not wild about contemporary vampire stories, historical ones (along with the folk tales that go along with them) can still hold my attention. And there's evidence to suggest that the vampire myth as we know it has roots in Romanian folklore.

I love the idea of exploring the Carpathian mountains, traveling to Transylvannia, and visiting castles in Wallachia. The most popular is Bran Castle, near the small town of Brasov. I would also love to experience some authentic Romanian culture, as it seems to be really unique.

I realize that Romania isn't exactly on most people's lists. Romania did not rebounded from communism very well, still ranks as one of the worst countries in Europe when it comes to healthcare, and harbors a poor rural population. But I don't care; I still want to go there.

Croatia

Photo by: Raime

I had never really considered Croatia very much until I saw some photos a friend took there a few years ago. I had no idea Croatia had such beautiful beaches. Or mountains. Or castles. Or all-around amazing scenery. But it does.

I want to visit the capital city of Zagreb, see the Roman-influenced architecture in coastal Split, perhaps while away a few days in on the becahes of Hvar, and explore the fortified city of Dubrovnik.

It seems like Croatia, with its varied climates and landscapes, has a heck of a lot more to offer than I ever realized. I have a feeling I could easily fall in love with this country.

Thailand

Photo by: Rene Ehrhardt

While Thailand likely shows up on just about every backpacker's list during a RTW trip, I feel like the greater tourist population often overlooks it. At the very least, it's not somewhere my family ever considered for a holiday getaway.

But the more I read about Thailand on various blogs, and the more photos I see of it, the closer I get to throwing sanity to the wind and buying myself a one-way ticket to Bangkok. That ticket itself may cost an armful, but I know that living in Southeast Asia is incredibly cheap. Like, meal-for-$1, guest-room-for-$4 cheap. Sounds perfect.

I want to experience the frenzy that is Bangkok. I want to see gorgeous temples and lots of golden Buddhas. I want to zip around on a motorbike. I want to relax with the travel community in Chiang Mai. I want to see some elephants. And then I want to laze around on one of the many breathtaking Thai beaches, watching amazing sunsets.

South Africa

The last place on my list is the one that has probably held its position here the longest. I have no idea what draws me to South Africa, but I know I've wanted to go there for years.

Part of it could be the fact that South Africa boasts a couple of huge activities that are on my bucket list — safaris and cage diving with Great White sharks. … And no, I promise I don't have a death wish.

I also really want to visit Cape Town and climb up Table Mountain, perhaps partake in some adventure sports, and, of course, catch a game of rugby. (Though, sorry South Africa — if you're playing new Zealand, you should know up front where my loyalties lie. Hint: Not with you.)

Have you been to any of the countries on my list? If so, tell me something about them! If not, do any of these places appear on YOUR bucket list?

• GREAT list! Croatia and Thailand are some of my favorite places I’ve ever been and I’m DYING to go to Turkey, Romania and South Africa! Sounds like a good RTW itinerary!
    Caroline in the City recently posted..A Challenging 2011

Hmmm, it would make for the beginnings of a sweet RTW itinerary, wouldn’t it? I’m going to have to keep that in mind!

• Katherina says:

I think we really have a similar travel taste, Amanda!

South Africa would be among my first ones, and Croatia wouldn’t be ranking far. Thailand IS in fact one of my favorite countries (ask my mom, every time some holidays approach I ask her to go!)… I’m happy I made it to Phuket with her a about 3 years ago, but I definitely want to go back to experience the mainland – specially the north!!
    Katherina recently posted..The one on TRAVEL

Glad to know I’m not alone! Thailand looks so beautiful. I’m jealous of just about everyone who’s been there!

• CK says:

Once I discovered Thailand I really haven’t been elsewhere ~ except one 5 day to Utah.

That’s 10 years of once a year to Thailand and this year, TWICE.

• My husband and I spent our first Christmas, in of all places, Romania. (We were living in Denmark and down that way to visit my cousin in Vienna.) I had no expectations going into it, but it was incredible! Safe, beautiful, rugged and not touristy. You should totally go!
    Camels & Chocolate recently posted..The New Year’s That Wasn’t- Part II

My roommate spent a Christmas in Romania, too, when she was studying abroad in Austria. Her flatmate was Romanian, and invited her home for the holidays. Maybe the fact that Romania is so un-touristy is one of the things that draws me to it so much. That, and all those rugged landscapes!

• Sheryll says:

Awesome list! I’ve been to Turkey before, and it was an AMAZING trip. I got to see the ancient city of Ephesus, which was absolutely breathtaking. Also, the men were really hot! LOL! 🙂
    Sheryll recently posted..YouTube Manicures and Other Budget Beauty Savings

Haha, hot Turkish men? Count me in! 😉 Turkey just seems like such an amazing country. So many different histories intertwining to make a really unique culture. Can’t wait to get there some day!

• Andi says:

South Africa is AMAZING!!!!!!! Croatia is high on my list too. 🙂
    Andi recently posted..Happy New Year!!!

• Cute post — I don’t think my parents would not want to see the complete list of countries I’d like to visit either.
    Jill – Jack and Jill Travel The World recently posted..Ujung Genteng– Discover Java Island’s Hidden Treasure

Thanks, Jill. I don’t necessarily think my parents would disapprove of this list (I think they’ve resigned themselves to the fact that if I want to travel somewhere, I’m going to do it no matter what they think), but I just think these are destinations that maybe they don’t know I’m dying to visit. Plus, I wanted to catchy title for my post! Haha.

• Laura says:

I loved Turkey when I visited a few years ago! It Some people really did think I was crazy for going there, but the Turks were some of the nicest people anywhere. Sadly I haven’t been to any of the other places but they are all certainly very intriguing.
    Laura recently posted..Hiking Ilha Grande- Brazil

I have heard a lot of good things about Turkey. It seems like most people who have gone there have wound up falling in love with it. Which only makes it all that much more appealing!

• Ashley says:

Croatia is absolutely gorgeous! Zagreb and I didn’t get along – my hostel room was literally a closet and the airport security guy was not happy with my carved bullet from Bosnia i Hercegovina – but Dubrovnik was lovely! And you have to take a side trip into BiH…I found it even more beautiful.
    Ashley recently posted..49 Geary for First Thursday

I think I remember reading a post of yours on Bosnia and Herzegovina, and thinking that it looked really cool. I think if I ever did get to Croatia, I would probably try to visit some other former-Yugoslav states as well, simply because I’d already be in the area.

• All of the above, please! 🙂

There are great destinations. I have a thing for Croatia – the walled city of Dubrovnik has been eyeing me for awhile now. I hope you can visit them in 2011.

I totally know what you mean about Dubrovnik! I somehow can’t see making it to any of these in 2011… but hopefully in the next couple of years!

• Lynda says:

I’ve been lucky to hit up Thailand and Croatia – Dubrovnik is a MUST see. I never really considered it before I got to Europe and I was SO glad I did, absolutely breathtaking!
    Lynda recently posted..Travel Agents vs Online Bookings

All the photos I’ve ever seen of Dubrovnik make it look AMAZING. My boyfriend has said that when we finally start traveling together, he doesn’t want to start in Asia or Turkey. But maybe Croatia would be acceptable??

• Marilyn Wenger says:

I love your list. I would like to visit all those places. Istanbul is probably first on list. I’ve wanted to go to Thailand since I got my MBA at YSU; many students were Thai and so gracious. We have good friends who had Fulbright scholarships in Capetown; they are absolutely in love with the county and go back every year. I have had good experience in Central Europe and want more. I’ll keep ready your blog.

Hey Marilyn! Thanks so much for stopping by. All of these places appeal to me for different reasons, and I hope someday I can make it to all of them!

• Andrea says:

These are all on my travel to-do list, but only have firm plans to see Croatia (we’re spending a month there later this year). I have been to Bangkok and northern Thailand…I was actually travelling with my father and thank goodness he was there – we had a couple of scary experiences that his quick thinking got us out of. He’s the king of adventure travel in my world, having lived in Saudi Arabia and Turkey.
    Andrea recently posted..Northland- New Zealand Part Two- The Bay of Islands

Can’t wait to read about your month in Croatia! Your dad sounds pretty awesome. Like the sort of person I’d really like to have along on my travels!

• Rebecca says:

South Africa is my #1 place to visit if I had more then 2-3 weeks of vacation a year. It’s just so dang far from Los Angeles! Next time I am “in-between” jobs, that is where you’ll find me. (And in Africa in general).
    Rebecca recently posted..London – Haggeling for a Room

Yeah, the trouble with all of these destinations is that they’re all so far from Ohio! It makes it really difficult to get anywhere with only 2 weeks of vacation per year. So I completely feel your pain!

• Christine says:

South Africa, Thailand, Croatia and Turkey are all on the top of my travel list too–and my parents aren’t too thrilled about any of them! I might not make it in 2011, but I’ll certainly make it someday–South Africa has been at the top of my list since I was in high school!
    Christine recently posted..Postcard from Killarney

Well here’s to hoping we both make it one of these days! Though, at least you have Australia to occupy you in 2011. 🙂

• Candice says:

Croatia and Turkey are totally on my list too…let’s go!
    Candice recently posted..The Art of Non-Conformity Comes to St John’s

• Ali says:

I *loved* Dubrovnik! I also really want to go to Turkey. The others are on my list too, just not as high on the list. I’m reluctant to ever write the list down because it would just be out of control!
    Ali recently posted..Cold Weather Travel

Lots of love for Dubrovnik, it seems… Looks like it definitely deserves that spot on my list, then! I have tons of other places on my list, Ali (my bucket list is, in a word, massive), but these are my Top 5 countries at the moment that I really want to get to.

• Poi says:

Great List – I love Turkey and Thaialnd (Home for the moment)

I’ve got a huge desire to visit Croatia as well!
    Poi recently posted..The Stupid Things I Miss From Home

• Alyssa says:

Last summer we spent about six weeks looping around Croatia, Romania, Bulgaria, and finishing in Turkey (just Istanbul, unfortunately). It was a fantastic trip, though I broke my arm at the start of it and my husband ended up lugging both packs around.

We were lucky in Romania to be meeting up with a friend, but I’d totally go back on my own. Brasov, Sighisora, and Sibiu are really beautiful (Bran castle is okay, but Peleş Castle is amazing).

I’d also read The Historian, and everything more than lived up to the descriptions… plus, it’s really easy to get around and [seemed] very safe.

I say, go! It’s still one of the least expensive trips we’ve done, and we had a blast.

Wow, sounds like an awesome trip, Alyssa! (Except for the broken arm part…) And I’m glad to know that everything lives up to the descriptions in The Historian! That makes me even more excited.

• Odysseus says:

Most of these are on my list, too. Not only to they seem like stunning destinations, they also seem cheap — or at least, Croatia and Romania are cheap compared to most of Europe. Yay! Hope you get to go soon and write about them. Cheers!
    Odysseus recently posted..Korean Mask Dancing and the Traditional Ways

Yes, compared to the rest of Europe, places like Croatia and Romania seem really affordable! And we already know Thailand is really cheap, too.

Glad to know most of these are on your list, as well! I hope I get to go soon, too!

• Megan says:

Ooooh, Thailand is definitely worth the visit. There’s so much to see here and I never knew that Thai food had so much variation. Every time I go out to eat with my Thai colleagues I eat something I never even knew existed.

And Croatia looks amazing…kind of forgot to put it on my list!
    Megan recently posted..WTF What THE! Fridays Part 15- Bad Self-Esteem Edition

I’m actually not super adventurous when it comes to food… but I’ll admit that I’ve seen photos of some Thai dishes that look absolutely delicious! I think I would have to be a bit more bold and try some new things in Thailand.

And, judging from all the comments here signing Croatia praises, it sounds like it should definitely find a spot on your list!

• Why don’t you want your family to know you want to go to those places? It’s not that they’re that dangerous… Maybe South Africa, but still, it’s a very popular tourist location.

Transylvania is awesome and has some great castles, just don’t go to Bran, it’s a major tourist trap…
    Nicolas De Corte recently posted..5 Important tips for the beginning travel photographer

Oh, it’s not that I don’t want my family to know I want to go to these places (in fact, they definitely know now!). I just don’t think I’ve mentioned them before, and I feel like they’re destinations my parents would never consider themselves. As far as danger goes, I could pick much more dangerous places to want to visit!

• Sarah says:

Great list, I studied abroad in Cape Town and fell in love – it’s beautiful, but it’s also a complicated place due to many political and socioeconomic factors – still well worth a long trip. I’m living in Thailand right now and there’s so much to do/see here, and you’re right about it being cheap! I went to Dubrovnik a couple years ago in college and it is so gorgeous – it’s a must see, definitely didn’t expect the beaches to be that spectacular! (oh and they have a lot of gelato which is always a good thing.)
    Sarah recently posted..9 Lives in Sangkhlaburi

South Africa in general interests me so much partly because of those complications you mentioned, I think. It’s been through a lot as a country, and I’d love to get a feel for it myself.

It sounds like you’ve had some amazing travel adventures! I’m jealous! And you say Dubrovnik has amazing beaches AND gelato? … I think it just moved up a spot on my list!

• LOVE LOVE LOVE Thailand. We may or may not have a little love affair. I actually just reserved my flights for my 3rd trip there. My heart’s palpitating just thinking about it. I’ve only heard amazing things about Croatia and Romania sounds awesome! Love this list.
    Captain and Clark recently posted..I thing Ive got myself an admirer

Third trip? You really must love it! That’s awesome, though. That’s how I feel about New Zealand! Glad you liked the list.

• Emily says:

Croatia and South Africa are at the very top of my bucket list, too!!! I went to Istanbul for the first time about a year ago because I also was dying to see the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, etc. I was totally blown away by the history and architecture. However, I was really ready to go after 3 or 4 nights since the men were SO in your face. In the markets and in the streets, men were constantly approaching me and my female travel partner, trying to push us into their restaurants or stores. A lot of them whistled or made weird sounds at us, and yelled things at us. So I adored the city’s historic sights, but culturally, I was not thrilled to be there as a woman. But I had to remind myself that it wasn’t America.

My fiance is not thrilled at all that I want to go to South Africa, but I keep promising him that I won’t get killed…
    Emily recently posted..Submit Your Travel Videos to Nomading Film Festival

I feel like I could be willing to put up with some pushy men just to get to experience Istanbul. I want to go there sooo badly. Maybe it would be a good place to convince my boyfriend to visit with me!

And I’m sure you can manage South Africa!

• Staci says:

Turkey, Croatia, Romania-count me in. I might actually be to those places less in a year or two, since I’m leaving in a few short months to Germany. And if Croatia have gelato, I’m in heaven.

South Africa, I want to see. Along with Africa as a whole.

Thailand, it will always be there, and the beaches are tempting, I admit, but it’s not as high as some other places on the list I want to see.

Maybe it’s because I rather see places that’s not usually popular. Although Croatia is popular at the moment…
    Staci recently posted..What I want in life

The popularity of a place really has little influence over the places I want to see, to be honest. Yes, I know Thailand is huge right now… but there’s gotta be a reason for that, right??

Good luck getting to some of these spots in the next couple of years! Hopefully I can, too.

• Deano says:

I’ve been to all these places (well Croatia was Yugoslavia back then, but I’ve been to the area that is now Croatia) and lived in two of them Thailand/Turkey long term.

I think that you’d have a great time in four of them the exception being Romania. For some reason I just could not get on there and could not wait to leave. Though to be honest I did not visit the countryside and the mountains; I have heard a lot of good things about them.

If you go to Turkey then make sure you check out Ephesus! Amazing ruins. Also the Aegean coast is wonderful, and though not on your list it is easy to hop over to the Greek Islands very cheaply.

Thinking of getting a one way ticket to Thailand. I don’t blame you.. Go for it.

My five places I’d like to go: Chile, South Korea, Japan, Antarctica and Nepal.

• Deano says:

Oh Yeah, Don’t forget to try the fish sandwiches in Istanbul (unless of course you are vegetarian in which case its falafel for you 🙂

I think it’s really the Romanian countryside that I want to see the most. And I’ve heard good things about that aspect of the country!

Turkey has just been made that much more appealing upon hearing you can get over to the Greek Islands cheaply! Definitely a bonus. I’ll be sure to get in touch if ever I head there to pick your brain about it!

Your top 5 sound great, too! Good luck getting there.

• Deano says:

Yeah, I used to live in a little village by the sea called mavisehir in Didim (half way between Bodrum and Izmir). I used to do the Visa runs to Kos or Samos about £25 return, but even cheaper from Bodrum or Kusadashi.
        I’m in SE Asia at the moment, but if you do go to Turkey then feel free to get in touch for some tips.

• I have done 4 of these 5 and….. you picked wisely. Love Turkey. Love Croatia even more. Thailand is great fun. South Africa is the bomb. Great list. I’ll write you a guest blog from Turkey in a few weeks 😉
    Michael Hodson recently posted..2011 Travel Plans for… me

• I’ve had a strong desire to visit Eastern Europe for a long time. Hoping this year I’ll have a chance to do it. In fact, all of the places you mentioned are pretty high up on my bucket list, too. Great choices — let’s make it happen!
    Cathy Sweeney recently posted..San Francisco Travel Tribe January 4- 2011

• Andrew says:

I’ll add another vote for Croatia. I loved my week among the islands of the coast. Absolutely beautiful and the water makes for a great swim. (Look out for sea urchins.)
    Istanbul is on my list too, and of your list most likely to be the next one I’ll go to. I like your pictures, but it immediately sets me to wondering what the net between the spires is for.
    Andrew recently posted..England Bustour

I wondered about the net, too! If you find yourself in Turkey anytime soon, you’ll have to check it out and report back.

Thought it looks as though maybe Croatia should be #1 on my list!

• Suzy says:

Turkey is definitely on my list, as is Croatia. I almost made it to Turkey and told my Dad. He instantly said, “Is that safe?”. Although he said that about Spain too. It’s funny what an older generation thinks as unsafe. I am going to try to make it to Turkey and Greece on my next trip to Europe. The history alone would be worth seeing.
    Suzy recently posted..Paestum- Italy Wishes You Were Here

I agree, it’s funny how parents and loved ones assume that everywhere abroad is dangerous. I hope you make it to Turkey! I’d love to read your take on it.

• Ah I want to visit all of those places and for more than just a couple of days. Great additions for anyones bucket list if you ask me.

Mind you after I told my mum I was going to estonia, latvia and lithuania i’m pretty sure these would be considered safe places to her.
    Chris – The Aussie Nomad recently posted..How Much Did It Cost – Paris Budget

I’d want to spend more than just a few days, too. I feel like most of these places have so much going on that you couldn’t possibly really experience them in just a couple of days!

• Lauren says:

Great list!!! I will be visiting all of those except for South Africa on my RTW trip starting in July… I can’t wait! 🙂
    Lauren recently posted..How to start selling everything you own in preparation for a RTW trip

• Theresa says:

I’ve made it to South Africa and Thailand. Thailand was a little over-touristed for me, though the scuba diving was awesome. I adored South Africa. We rented a car and spent six weeks touring South Africa, and I loved every second of it. Such an amazing country. Turkey is next on my list. I really want to take a hot air balloon ride over Cappadocia and just get lost in Istanbul.
    Theresa recently posted..What Skiing Taught Me About Travel

Exploring South Africa by car sounds great. And I also want to do the same things in Turkey! Here’s to hoping we’re able to. Thanks for reading!

• Joseph says:

Hey! If you ever want to come to Romania (I live in…*drum roll* Transylvania) just drop me a line, I would love to show you around…while the Bran castle is famous (because of Dracula of course), there are other things to see – the old city of Sighisoara, the Peles Castle (located in the mountains) and many many things…so, whenever you’re ready, let me know 🙂

Awesome! See, this is why I love travel blogging. So many people willing to show you around all across the world. I may just take you up on your offer someday!

• I’ve done Thailand. It’s worth it. Doing Turkey and Croatia starting next week!!

I’ve heard so many good things about Thailand. I WILL get there someday!

So jealous that you’re headed to both Turkey AND Croatia soon! Have a blast!

• bbmurcia says:

Love this list!
    Have been to Thailand (mandatory for any Australia) and it is a beautiful country but the rest are definitely on my list! I would also add Egypt to this- imagine seeing the pyramids in person!

I’ve heard great things about Thailand, so I really hope to make it there someday. Egypt would be really great, too! I agree about the Pyramids.

• Gigi says:

When you go to Thailand…skip Bankok. It’s dirty and loud and riddled with poverty and crime. Chiang Mai is much nicer and the countryside is the nicest of all.

Croatia is actually the number one vacation spot for Italians. And Italy is stunning…so you can only imagine…
    Gigi recently posted..Did You Know

Thanks for the tips! Despite Bangkok’s failings, I know a lot of people who absolutely love it. So I think I’d at least want to give it a look, just to decide for myself. But yes, I’ve heard fantastic things about Chiang Mai!

• deepti ahuja says:

Awesome list! I’ve been to Turkey before, and it was an AMAZING trip. I got to see the ancient city of Ephesus, which was absolutely breathtaking. btw, i would like to thank yatra.com for this…they made my trip worth treasuring. I would advice you too go for yatra.com packages as they provide best ones and make this journey memorable. For more details, check – http://www.yatra.com/?ci=SMM72

• Nico says:

I advise to visit Turkey especially İstanbul city.You can have lots of opportunities to have a nice trip.
    You can sail on the bosporus and have a nice food in seefood restaurant or visit downtown and feel mystical atmosphere in hagia sofia and topkapı palace.it has one of most valuable collections in palace.
    and nice turkish foods.
    I can also recommend to hire a local guide there to discover the city.you can contact to this guy. necdetagir@hotmail.com

• Rob says:

Now to annoy you.

I’m heading to Croatia (Istria) in a month for a week of wandering around, avoiding old land mines, and just “being” in someplace new & strange.

And then I’m 90% sure I’m heading to Thailand to escape winter for a couple for a couple of weeks in January, where I’ll hang for a little while with Betsy & Warren (www.marriedwithluggage.com).

Jealoussss. Seriously. But I hope you have fun!

• Rob says:

You mean envious, right? 🙂

I bought the tickets for Croatia today. A long way for two weeks in October, but it’s off-season for tourists and should be pretty cheap. And, much as I like the friends with whom I grew up, two weeks exploring somewhere new beats two weeks of pretty much nothing new, with old friends (my previous October travel plans involved heading to Ottawa, where I grew up).

My new mantra – if it’s not a new place (or I don’t have plans to do something new at an old place) I’m not spending money to go there. Life is too short!

• Justin Rodgers says:

My Butt! Springboks all the way, but yeah, I have been all over africa, South africa is amazing, but visit other counties as well.

• Cristina says:

So far I’ve crossed off Croatia from this list (although I have been DYING to go back!!) I definitely want to see all the others you listed, especially Romania. Ukraine and Russia would be fantastic on the way too! South Africa is also top of my list! If you want a travel buddy, I’m FrEE! 🙂
    Cristina recently posted..Visit to a Concentration Camp

• Awesome list! I remember about three years ago my dad begging me not to go to Thailand out of worry. I went any way-naturally. And guess what? I’ve got him coming out now too haha. He’ll be meeting me in Thailand in October.
    Bobbi Lee Hitchon recently posted..What I’m Thinking Friday 14 September