As a woman who frequently travels alone, I’m used to hearing “the lines.” From family, friends, even complete strangers. The usual “Be careful,” the frequent “You’re crazy,” and even the occasional “You’re gonna die.” I’ve heard it all and have become used to it — but that doesn’t mean that I’ve come to accept the skepticism surrounding women traveling solo.
After years of traveling — many times on my own — I have come to realize that while, yes, traveling as a woman CAN sometimes put you in precarious situations, it doesn’t have to be scary or dangerous if you’re smart about it.
I believe that women can and SHOULD travel solo.
Solo travel has taught me so many things. It has taught me to be more adventurous and spontaneous. It’s made me more willing to challenge myself and push myself out of my normal comfort zone. It’s taught me to be a bit more outgoing, and yet at the same time has taught me to enjoy my own company. And, most of all, solo travel has made me more confident.
Basically, solo travel has changed my life.
And that's the reason why I got involved with the #WeGoSolo project.
The #WeGoSolo movement began a few months back as a Twitter hashtag and a series of blog posts that encouraged women to travel solo and travel safely. This evolved into weekly Twitter chats (every Wednesday at 11 a.m. EST), and more attention on women traveling alone.
And now there's one more facet to the #WeGoSolo movement.
Your Dream Solo Destination Contest
A team of solo female travel bloggers (including myself, Mariellen of Breathe Dream Go, Sherry of Ottsworld, and Shivya of The Shooting Star) has teamed up with HostelBookers to find out more about how and why women travel (or don't travel) solo.
In order to gather this information, Hostelbookers has compiled the “Going it Alone” Survey, which is open to all female travelers, regardless of whether you travel solo or not.
I'm excited about this survey, not only because it will allow us to learn a bit more about solo female travel, but also because there is a component built in that allows me to give something back to YOU.
In conjunction with the survey, HostelBookers is hosting the Your Dream Solo Destination Contest, in which one reader from each of the 4 blogs involved will win a voucher from Hostelbookers good for 2 nights for 2 people at ANY property listed on the HostelHookers website.
This is a pretty sweet prize if you ask me.
So how do you win, you ask? Easy. There are two steps:
- Take the Going it Alone Survey.
- Leave a comment on THIS blog post about YOUR dream solo destination.
One reader/commenter from my blog will win one of the 4 prizes!
I've written before about destinations that are great for solo female travel, but now it's time for YOU to give some input!
The #WeGoSolo team is really excited about partnering up with HostelBookers for this contest and survey. And HostelBookers is excited to be involved, too. Here's what they have to say:
The team at HostelBookers are passionate about helping you fulfil your dreams of seeing the world, and we know many of our customers are very happy choosing to travel solo. We’ve been encouraged by Mariellen Ward's #WeGoSolo project from the start and we hope that by teaming up on this project we can inspire women to have the confidence to travel solo if they want to.
The brand even has a guide to hostels for women! Very cool.
Here are the dates to keep in mind:
- June 5 — Contest begins and survey opens
- June 25 — Contest ends
- July 9 — Winners announced and survey results shared
And here's all the fine print:
- This Competition is open to participants aged 18 and over.
- This Competition is not open to employees of HostelBookers, their family members, HostelBookers’ agents, or anyone professionally connected with the competition or A Dangerous Business.
- Participants enter the competition by completing the survey and leaving an answer to the question “Where is YOUR dream solo travel destination?” in the comments section.
- No responsibility is taken for entries which are lost, delayed or misdirected, or cannot be delivered or entered for any technical or other reason.
- The competition will run from 09:00 GMT 5th June 2013 and will close at 00:00 GMT on 26th June 2013.
- The prize is a two night stay for two people at any property on the HostelBookers website, up to the value of EUR 150. All accommodation stays are subject to availability and must be taken within one year of the winner being notified of the prize.
- The prize must be taken by the prize winner and may not be transferred to or taken by any third party.
- The winner will be selected by A Dangerous Business and announced on the blog on 9 July 2013.
- The winner will be notified within 7 days of the prize draw by email.
- If A Dangerous Business cannot contact the winner within fourteen days of the prize draw, we reserve the right to conduct another prize draw to determine a new winner.
- HostelBookers act as agent in respect of all bookings we take or make on your behalf.
- For all bookings your contract will be with the supplier of the accommodation or other service specified.
- Normal HostelBookers terms and conditions of sale apply.
All right, now get entering! And please spread the word about the Going it Alone survey!
(Also, sorry fellas, but this one is just for the ladies!)
And, if you want more chances to win, check out the other contest posts:
- WeGoSolo Dream Destination Contest at Breathe Dream Go
- Going it Alone at OttsWorld
- #WeGoSolo Contest: Your Dream Solo Travel Destination! at The Shooting Star