The title of this post may at first sound a bit odd; as though traveling isn’t actually a part of my “reality.”

Which isn’t true at all, of course. In fact, travel is such a large part of my day-to-day reality now that I’m not sure I would know how to define myself without it.

But there are still many aspects of my life that travel does not directly affect. I don’t write much about school or my Ohio friends or even my relationships on this blog. I don’t tell you about the movie I saw yesterday, the hours I spent writing my thesis in the library today, or the band I’m going to see play at a local dive bar this weekend.

Usually, if it’s not directly travel-related, I don’t blog about it. I don’t want to bore you, afterall.

But sometimes events in my “real,” somewhat more mundane life pull in enough hints of my traveling world that I deem them worthy of sharing.

Color Vibe

A few months ago, I saw a photo on Facebook of a bunch of smiley people covered in what looked like neon-colored paint or chalk. At first, I thought the photo was from one of my traveling friends who had been to the Holi festival in India — a “festival of color” that is celebrated by throwing bright powder at people. It’s a festival that I always love seeing photos from each year because it looks so fun and colorful.

But as I looked closer at the photo, I realized that it wasn’t from Holi at all — it was actually from a 5K race known as the Color Vibe run. And there was one going to take place near me in April.

Now, this may surprise you, but I’m not really a runner. It doesn’t really do much for me, and I don’t think I’ve ever run further than a mile at a time — and that was in middle school, when it was mandatory.

But a 5K race that reminded me of a famous festival on the other side of the world? It definitely was tempting.

In the end, I signed up for the Color Vibe with a few friends and told myself that I could push through 3.1 miles. And I did. And it was a blast.

The run itself consisted of a winding route at the local fairgrounds, with 5 “color stations” along the course where volunteers sprayed and tossed colored corn starch at you. At the end of the run, we had a big color fight — our own mini version of Holi.

Color Vibe

Color Vibe

Color Vibe

Color Vibe

It was one of the most fun things I’ve done recently, despite the fact that I thought I might die before the end of the race.

And it’s worth mentioning for another reason, too — participating in the Color Vibe reminded me that I don’t have to travel far to do something really unique.

The Color Vibe is swiftly becoming an international event, with races planned all over the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and the UK. If you want to take part, see if there’s a race happening near you! The races benefit local charities, and are tons of fun!

What do you think? Does it look like fun?

Tagged with →

26 Responses to When My Reality and Travel Collide

1. Sounds like a win all around! What a cool event, I sign up for different runs in new areas when I travel, even though I consider myself a terrible runner. I’m not in it to win, but for the experience. Way to go, girl!
    Kate – CanuckiwiKate recently posted..Climbing Rangitoto Island: Our last 24 hours in New Zealand

2. Kali says:

While I would love to go to India for Holi, I thought I’d let you know that there is also a Holi Festival every year in Spanish Fork, Utah. They have a Hare Krishna temple there and it is an incredible experience without spending money on an overseas plane ticket. You should check it out!

3. Liz says:

Sounds like a great local event! I agree there are lots of cool local stuff around in most places.

4. memographer says:

Wow!! This is a great event, Amanda! Something to consider in the future :)
    Funny that just yesterday on my facebook page I shared someone’s link to the video from Holi Festival in Utah. Perfect timing! or our brains are connected somehow… :) I will paste a link here also. If you didn’t see it. It’s incredible. Please feel free to remove it from this post. One can find it on YouTube by searching “Festival of Colors – Give Love”

memographer recently posted..Incas Secret Chamber found at Machu Picchu (Photo Mapping)

5. Antoinette says:

I have been dying to do The Color Run with my friends and I – unfortunately the ones in NYC are ALWAYS sold out within a day or two before we can get our hands on to register! Truly is a fun way to run these days even for us non-runners! And hey, this is your blog… we appreciate posts of other topics aside from travel as well so let’s hear it! :)

Aww boo, that sucks that it’s so difficult to participate in NYC! Hopefully one of these years you’ll get the chance to!

6. I think the color part makes the sports part even more fun. I’ve been learning the lesson that there are plenty of unique experiences close to home over the past year+, and it’s been a joy to re-discover.
    Ayelet – All Colores recently posted..The Surprising Walk to the Devil’s Throat

7. OCDemon says:

I’ll readily admit I get lazy about domestic experiences, but they’re really great too. You don’t have to sail away somewhere exotic to do something out of the ordinary.
    OCDemon recently posted..Spectacular 2013 Travel Goal Roundup

8. Ryan says:

Ah, that looks like so much fun! I wouldn’t run or walk it, but I’d be down with throwing color at people running past me.

Now if only they would give an actual date for the Boston or Providence events and not just “Coming Soon.”

I think it would be really fun to volunteer at one of the color stations! Though, running it was lots of fun, too.

9. Beth says:

Looks like so much fun!! There’s also The Color Run, which I’m hoping to do once it makes its way to Hong Kong later this year… but maybe I’ll try to sign up for the Color Vibe in Chicago this July too!

10. ack, I can’t believe I missed the color run when it was down in Florida last December! I’ll see if I can join one this year :D

loved the video and photos!

-Maria Alexandra
    Maria Alexandra @LatinAbroad recently posted..Summer travel plans and my depression: updates

11. Julio Moreno says:

This looks pretty cool. While it may not be traveling for you, it could promote people to go to your town to do this run. I would be willing to travel (maybe not that far, but still) to do something like this. Its important sometimes to remember that your hometown IS traveling to other people.

With that said, I had a similar problem in my own site. While I mostly like to talk about UNESCO world heritage sites (as the URL suggests), animal and plant photography are an equal reason why I travel. My upcoming summer vacation will hopefully be in Komodo, or Indonesia’s rain forest. I tried to merge the two ideas, but in my opinion, it didnt fit.

I decided to make a spin-off, a second, completely independent blog dedicated to animal, plant, and landscape photography (www.kingdomanimals.com). While this would require more work, I think of the animal one as an easy side project. It is a picture every 3 days, which is simple enough to do in addition to my main blog.

You might want to consider a second, more personal blog. For me however, I am more of a private person with those matters, so I wouldn’t blog about my day to day stuff.
    Julio Moreno recently posted..I Just: Walked Across the Sea at the “Miracle Sea Road Festival” in Jindo, South Korea Pt.1/2

I would need to clone myself in order to start yet another blog; I don’t have enough time as it is! I think as my travels progress (or eventually slow down), my blog will get more and more personal. I’ve branded myself as a traveler, but luckily the name of my site could refer to anything. So there’s plenty of room for growth/change!

12. Sounds like a lot of fun and good for you for doing something outside of your comfort zone – running and getting through a 5k.
    Elaine @ CarpeTravel.com recently posted..An Ode to The Little White House…Sometimes coming “home” is the best part of traveling

13. […] in a wacky cultural event/tradition/race (Loony Dook and Color Run, […]