Last week, I wrote a post about some affordable countries in Europe that you may not have considered traveling to. One of those was Romania — one of my favorite countries I’ve been to in Europe so far. Writing that post got me to thinking about my time in Eastern Europe last summer; it was difficult for me not to add other countries like Hungary and Bulgaria to that post, because I loved them, too.

Eastern Europe has been a fascinating part of the world to me for quite some time, and getting the chance to explore a bit of it for a few weeks last summer only solidified for me how underrated and awesome it is.

Today, therefore, I wanted to share with you some highlights of my time in Eastern Europe — in postcard form.

Hungary

In Hungary, I fell in love with the Budapest, was charmed by the small town of Eger, and had a fleeting glimpse of colorful Debrecen.

Budapest

Budapest

Budapest

Eger

Debrecen

Romania

Romania took me by surprise and made me fall in love with it almost immediately. From the rolling farmland and wooden churches in Maramures, to colorful towns like Sighisoara and Brasov, to tiny villages like Viscri, I was captivated by it all.

Romania

Merry Cemetery

Romania

Sighisoara

Sighisoara

Viscri

Romania

Brasov

Rasnov Fortress

Bulgaria

Of these countries, Bulgaria was perhaps the most surprising to me. From the mountains to the Roman ruins to the amazingly friendly locals, Bulgaria had much more to offer than I originally anticipated.

Bulgaria

Sofia

Rila Monastery

Bulgaria

Plovdiv

Alrighty, who’s ready to book a trip to Eastern Europe now? I’m ready to go back.

Which postcard is your favorite?

Tagged with →

30 Responses to Postcards from Eastern Europe

1. Beautiful photos! I also fell in love with Budapest the first time I visited and can’t wait to explore the rest of this fascinating region!
    cosmoHallitan recently posted..Shangri-la, Paradise Found?

Budapest is so amazing! I really need to go back. Maybe I’ll have to fit it into my trip to Europe this summer!

2. zof says:

what a lovely pictures! in case you are ever back – at least one fan of your blog is here:-)
    zof recently posted..it has been 98 years already

3. opportunemma says:

This is such a clever idea! I especially love the Merry Cemetery and Sofia postcards. It looks like you had amazing weather while you were in Eastern Europe — all that sun-drenched countryside is gorgeous!
    opportunemma recently posted..Weekly Travel Inspiration: Adventures in Travel Vlogging!

Yup, we had tons of sun – though I don’t know that I would always call the extreme heat “amazing”! ;) Definitely great for photos, though. Glad you liked the postcards!

4. OCDemon says:

My favorite thing about postcards (way back before the internet was super amazing) was that you could take a look at where might be interesting to go, and then go there. I’d stroll by the tourist shops in each train station and take a look at where to go from the pretty pictures.
    OCDemon recently posted..Sexy Tango time on Red Square

5. Vicky says:

Beautiful absolutely gorgeous photos all of them! If this is what the micro 4/3 cameras are capable of (and you have taken some awesome shots and great angles) I’m convinced the switch from dslr is a worthy one ! Such vibrant colors!
    Vicky recently posted..A Couple Travelers By The Numbers: April ’13 Income – $5106

Yup, these were all taken with the Olympus E-PM1, which is what I traveled with all last year. Most people can’t tell the difference between these and DSLR shots!

6. I’m definitely ready! Would love to visit Eastern Europe especially Romania, Slovenia and Bulgaria. You’re pictures are truly amazing and should be postcards for sure as they sell the country very well.
    Debbie Beardsley @ European Travelista recently posted..Slovenia: Tiny but Beautiful!

7. Beautiful postcards. I really would love to go back to Europe and explore it more, Romania is very high on my “must visit” list.
    Aga @ a matter of taste recently posted..Food in Rawai

8. bonooobong says:

The Szimpla in Budapest is such a great pub! I’ve been there several times, it’s an old ruined house you can drink your beer in the rooms or on the gang, really cool and alternative atmosphere! And there is a pub called Szimpla in Berling (Germany) as well managed by the same team!
    bonooobong recently posted..Generatív ékszerek a 3D nyomtatóból

It’s a very fun and quirky place! I’m not much for pubs, but I did go inside Szimpla just because it looked so cool from the outside. The inside definitely didn’t disappoint!

9. Cheti says:

Thank you for the beautiful words that you wrote about Romania. Thank you for the wonderful pictures of Romania that you have posted here. In all media I read only bad about Romania and I know that we are not so “black” as we “paint” journalists. Thank you, I, a Romanian woman, whose grandparents died waiting for the Americans to come and save us from Soviet occupation. And excuse my bad English. Actually I do not know English and use google translate. So, thank you, my dear Amanda, because we’ve seen so beautiful. Thank you and for you have visited my country. And you must know that we, romanians, well some of us, still waiting the Americans with open arms.

The outpouring of thanks from Romanians for visiting your country and writing this post about it has been amazing. I am more than happy to share my experiences from Romania – I really did love your country.

10. kosty says:

if you plan to come back to Romania, I also recomand you to visit Targu-Jiu, where the famous sculptural complex made by Brancusi lies and also the surrounding area, where there are loads of churches, villages with picturesque traditions and national costumes makers can be found and also the Danube Bank, with a spectacular view

11. Ciprian says:

Dear Amanda,

If you will be able to visit again only one of these three countries, which one will be and why?

I would like to visit them all again! But Romania would probably be my top pick. It surprised me the most!

12. If the purpose of this post is to stir up my travel bug, well, job well done. I’m in East Europe now and there are so many more places to go!
    Justin @ True Nomads recently posted..Photo Essay: Sri Lanka

13. I love the one from the monastery! Definitely my favourite.
    A Montrealer Abroad recently posted..The Best Poutine in Montreal: The Smackdown

14. I love your pictures from Budapest. I also fell in love with the city and it is one of my favorites.

15. Julie says:

Forgive what may be very well be an obvious answer, but how did you achieve the postcard look, photo editing software? I take photos but I don’t mess with them once I’m finished although I love this look!
    Julie recently posted..Restaurant Review: Butcher and the Rye (Pittsburgh)

I actually just made these in Preview, which comes free on Macs. But you can achieve the same effect using any editing tool that allows you to draw a box shape on your photos!