Over the years, I’ve made a couple trips to my nation’s capital. It’s kind of a right of passage for middle schoolers from the Midwest to go to Washington, D.C. on weekend trips, and I was no exception.

But, that being said, it’s been YEARS since I was a proper tourist in D.C. In fact, I remembered very little about traveling around the city at all. So I decided a re-visit was in order. Luckily it wasn’t difficult to convince a friend to make the 6-hour drive from Ohio with me.

We drove down Friday night, then spent Saturday visiting all the monuments and Memorials along the National Mall, and dedicated most of Sunday to exploring some of the Smithsonian museums and the Newseum (because I’m a journalism nerd like that). There’s not much to write about such a short and impromptu trip (I had HOPED to be able to write about the Cherry Blossom Festival, but sadly the blooms were not yet blooming), so instead I’ll just share a handful of my favorite photos from the weekend.

Union Station

Outside Union Station.

Washington, D.C.

Even office buildings in D.C. are grand.

Blossoms

Not cherry blossoms, but still very pretty.

US Capitol

The US Capitol building.

US Capitol

Capitol Hill.

WWII Memorial

WWII Memorial.

WWII Memorial

WWII Memorial

WWII Memorial with the Washington Monument in the background.

Korean War Memorial

Korean War Veterans Memorial.

Lincoln Memorial

Walking along the Reflecting Pool towards the Lincoln Memorial.

Lincoln Memorial

The gigantic columns at the Lincoln Memorial.

Lincoln Memorial

Honest (and GIANT) Abe himself.

Reflecting Pool

The Reflecting Pool from the other end.

Vietnam Memorial

Vietnam Veterans Memorial wall.

Tidal Basin

Walking along the Tidal Basin. Those are un-blooming cherry blossom trees…

Tidal Basin

The Jefferson Memorial across the Tidal Basin.

White House

The White House.

Newseum

A portion of the Berlin Wall on display at the Newseum.

Newseum

A very moving 9/11 display at the Newseum.

I had forgotten (or maybe never fully appreciated) just how much there is to see and do in Washington, D.C. I need to make it a point to visit more often!

Which D.C. photo is your favorite?

Tagged with →

41 Responses to Snapshots from Washington, D.C.

1. Erik says:

They are all awesome, but I love the one from the Korean War Vet Monument!
    Erik recently posted..New Zealand- The Places I Stayed

2. Andy says:

The DC area really has some nice buildings to see. I need to get back up there soon. Nice shots, it looks like you got some great weather for photos.
    Andy recently posted..What a Manager can gain from Traveling

3. As a person from small town Ohio, I somehow did not have a trip to DC. My wife had one and has been more than once. Somehow although, I have been to many places in the US, never to DC. I must go. I also second liking the Korean War Memorial, very cool
    T.J. & Charlotte recently posted..Lost my Wedding Band!!! – Vang Vieng, Laos

Aww too bad you never had the requisite DC trip in school! I definitely recommend visiting sometime. There’s a lot to see and do!

4. Aryn says:

I just went to DC for the first time the other week! It was a great trip though I was also disappointed to see that the cherry blossoms weren’t blooming!
    Aryn recently posted..Hello, Spring!

5. Amanda says:

Love that you saw Abe!! I have a soft spot for Abe and can’t wait to see him, myself one day.

Love your blog!! Keep it up!!

xoxo
    A

6. Sarah says:

I visited the States for the first time in Nov last year and DC was on my list along with NYC & Philly.. I have to say that I loved Philly the most but DC came a close 2nd. Seeing your photos reminded me of the great time I had in the capital. I loved pretty much everything! My biggest highlights were seeing the Capitol Building and the Lincoln Memorial – that has to be seen to be believed! But another highlight was actually getting out to Mt Vernon… that was a brilliant day.

I’ve never made it out to Mt. Vernon – but it’s definitely on my list, as I’ve heard great things!

7. Ryan says:

The Cherry Blossom Festival runs, at least in theory, from March 20th to April 14th this year. Most of the bigger events like the parade and the street festival (both occurring on the 13th) fall on the tail end of the festival, presumably because cherry blossoms don’t exactly have a long bloom time and most of them likely don’t last the entirety of the festival.

As a consequence of the winter that just won’t end, however, I fully expect the flowers to come into bloom some time in the middle of next week and stick around for a full two weeks. This is horrible news for anyone who was planning on going down early, but relatively good news for people who were planning on waiting until the finale (such as myself) to head down.

If I remember to do so and Amanda doesn’t mind, I’ll provide a brief follow-up comment re: the parade and the festival!

Setting all of that aside, of course, the fact remains that Washington D.C. is an amazing city to visit – as befitting the nation’s capital. Go there any time of year (or every time of year, heh) – you won’t regret it.

Yes, unfortunately the Winter That Just Won’t End thwarted my cherry blossom plans. Originally they were predicting peak bloom to be March 26-30, meaning the 23/24 should have, in theory, been a great time to visit. But of course nature is so fickle! I still had a great weekend in DC, and will simply have to go back another year for the cherry blossoms!

8. zof says:

what surprises me is how the Washington war memorials look alike the Eastern European ones…the world was divided by iron curtain but the way creating collective memory was so close…
    zof recently posted..Nature in the City

9. Katie says:

How funny… I was just doing research for a work trip to DC next week (with hopefully some leisure time) and decided to take a break and check some blogs (I just started following yours a week or so ago) and lo and behold – more DC! Perfect. Although, I’m really sorry that you didn’t have any cherry blossoms. I timed my work trip so that I’d be there during the festival, so I would be so disappointed. I’m really hoping that there will be some next week.
    Katie recently posted..Visiting New Orleans with Kids

I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you, Katie, and hope that winter finally lets go and that the blossoms start blooming!

Regardless, though, have a great trip!

10. Michael says:

Nice shots, you hit up a lot of te key destinations but missed out on the beautiful Georgetown canals. Next time around definitely give them a visit around sunset, you’ll get snag some good photos.

11. I’m a big fan of DC! Love the cherry blossom shot. :)
    Andi of My Beautiful Adventures recently posted..Cayman Islands: Day 2 (Part 3)

12. Sam says:

The pictures from the area around Capitol Hill look so empty! I guess not much happens there at weekends.

And is it just me or does “women who stepped up were measured as citizens of the nation, not as women” come across as rather sexist; why can’t they be both? It seems to imply that being measured as a woman is a bad thing, because BEING a woman is a bad thing. Am I being oversensitive? (That is known to happen!)
    Sam recently posted..Travel Diary: 2013, Week #12

I suppose it could be taken as somewhat sexist – but you have to remember that this was before the women’s rights movement, so perhaps it made more sense when it was said!

13. Sofie says:

Great pictures!
    Washington was never high on my list of to visit cities in the US, but thanks to you, it just moved up!
    Sofie recently posted..Barcelona, here I come!

Great to hear! It’s a pretty cool city; so many big, grand buildings that are really impressive to see.

14. Great photos. I’ve never been to Washington, but it’s on my to do list for sure :)

Regards,
    Carlo

15. Andrew says:

It’s always interesting to revisit a city that you vacationed at when you were younger. I remember visiting Italy when I was 12 but I didn’t have the proper mindset to truly enjoy it. The frescos in the Vatican bored me and I couldn’t appreciate the beauty of just staring out into the Tuscan landscape. It’s funny how you can miss out on some of the most amazing things because you’re too young and hormonal. I too have visited Newseum and it’s one of the best places to visit if you are a “journalism nerd”. I’ve just started following this blog and it gives me inspiration to really beef up the business travel blog I started up a couple months ago. Thanks for all the content it’s really great.

I totally agree! I visited some pretty cool places when I was younger, but I know I didn’t fully appreciate any of them!

16. Kate says:

DC is my 3rd favorite place I’ve visited in the US after NYC and Hawaii. I sat in at the Supreme Court which was a bucket list thing and it was awesome.
    Kate recently posted..25 Newbie Travel Mistakes You Can Avoid On Your RTW Trip

17. Pete says:

Very nice photos Amanda, pretty interesting to see the Berlin wall in DC after I just saw portions of it still standing in Berlin.
    Pete recently posted..She Saw, He Saw

Thanks, Pete! And yes, it was interesting to see a portion of the Wall in the Newseum; I loved that place!

18. hayley says:

Great photos. I can’t wait to visit DC again in Oct. Hadn’t heard of the Newseum, let alone that it has some of the Berlin Wall, so will add that to the list!
    hayley recently posted..Motatapu Adventure Race – not your average bike ride

It’s one of the only museums in DC that you actually have to pay to visit – but it is absolutely worth it. Such a cool place.

19. Christian says:

I developed a big interest towards Washington ever since I start watching House of Cards. Seems like a very interesting city and the fact that was designed to be a capital, with all the governmental buildings and all is very strange to me.
    And lol, until now I though the Capitol building and the white house is the same thing…
    Christian recently posted..Affordable Ski Holidays this snow season!

Haha, nope the Capitol and White House are two very different buildings!

DC is definitely an interesting city, though. I wish I’d had longer than just a weekend there!

20. Turner says:

Wow. Great shots of DC. Clear. I used to love cherry blossom time when I used to live there. Pretty sweet the Smithsonian museum is free. Great when to spend free days there.
    Turner recently posted..Making Reality TV: The TukTuk Challenge Video Assistant

Thanks, Turner! I’m bummed I missed the peak cherry blossom time – the photos I’ve seen of it are amazing! Next time, next time…

And yes, awesome that all the Smithsonian museums are free!

21. […] National Mall and Memorial Parks, including: […]