Each Saturday from now on, I’ll be sharing a photo with you from my travels around the world.

This week, the photo comes from the Acropolis in Athens, Greece.

The ancient Acropolis is easily the most popular and recognizable thing in Athens. In fact, this is the reason most people come to the Greek capital — to see this incredible part of world history. This particular photo was taken atop the Acropolis, looking out over the ruins of the Old Temple of Athena (destroyed by the Persians in 480 BC) and the Erechtheion, another ancient temple that dates back to the 400s BC. The Erechtheion was my favorite building on the Acropolis (yes, I liked it even better than the Parthenon) because of the “Porch of the Caryatids” (Porch of the Maidens) on the north side of the temple. On this porch, the columns holding up the temple roof are actually shaped liked women.

If you like this photo, please share it with your friends on Facebook, Twitter, StumbleUpon, or G+!

• Wil says:

I was there in 2008 if I remember correctly. Beautiful place. I liked the ancient theater ruins which would be down the hill behind the photographer from where this picture was taken.

Yes, the theater ruins were pretty cool!

• zof says:

I visited Athens last May. I sort of like the city but I found Acropolis itself a bit overrated….which is probably more of my expectations then the place itself…

I was really underwhelmed by Athens as a whole. It didn’t help that I visited in high season, during one of the hottest weeks of the year, though…

• Sam says:

Nice picture. Did you go up early in the morning? It really surprised me just how many people were climbing up to see it as we were coming down having been up there ‘early’ (like 10am). I guess I shouldn’t be so surprised; it’s really bloody famous!

We actually did not go up early! Probably around 1 p.m. or so, so yes, it was super crowded! (Though it was also SO HOT that day, so perhaps it wasn’t quite as crowded as it could have been.)

• zoomingjapan says:

I’ve always wanted to visit. So many of my friends did when we were still in school!
    Now that I live in Japan, I doubt that I’ll get there any time soon, but it’s still on my “to-go-list”. *g*

It’s definitely a site that most everyone recognizes (or has at least heard of). Not actually my favorite site of all time, but still worth seeing in person if you can make it happen.

• Stephen S. says:

I spent a good part of my first day in Athens at the Acropolis. I loved it!

• Athens is worth a visit just for this. The rest of it I was not impressed with (outside the ruins, the city itself).

Yeah, totally agree with you on that. I actually really disliked Athens, but was glad I got to see all the ruins.

• Chris says:

great shot!
    I really need to spend a summer back in Europe exploring it properly, I’ve neglected it during my travels!

Same here! I’ve actually not really been to much of Western Europe at all, with the exception of the UK and Ireland, and Rome. SO MUCH left to see!

• Liz says:

I didn’t have any expectations at all and was blown away by the Acropolis and its size when I was there last May. Perhaps because I stumbled across it in a way and I am always excited in the first couple of hours in any new place, unless very tired or it’s really awful for some reason.

My first sighting of it was at night from below (it was lit up quite dramatically I thought). I found it just as marvellous during the day. The views out from it were great and the new Acropoli museum was quite good.

I think it helped that I had quite low expectations (that it would be small, dirty and surrounded by traffic lanes!).

Unfortunately, I thought the rest of the city was a struggle to enjoy. I was also mindful of the economic situation of Greece at the time (and even worse now!).

The Acropolis lit up at night is indeed quite dramatic and impressive! And it’s good you went in with low expectations – I always find myself enjoying places more when I visit without any preconceived notions!

I’m with you on the rest of Athens, though… I was not very impressed, either.