Each Saturday from now on, I’ll be sharing a photo with you from my travels around the world.

This week, the photo comes from Tikal National Park in Guatemala.

In the middle of the jungle in Guatemala, there lies one of the largest collections of Mayan ruins in the world. Tikal — a UNESCO World Heritage site since 1979 — was at one time a major capital of the ancient Mayan civilization. Today, tourists from all over the world visit the site to wander around the ruins, which seem to just grow out of the jungle. This particular photo is of Temple I (also called the Temple of the Great Jaguar or the Temple of Ah Cacao). The temple is a funerary pyramid dedicated to a Mayan ruler who was entombed in the structure around the year 730.

Tikal

If you like this photo, please share it with your friends on Facebook, Twitter, StumbleUpon, or G+!

Tagged with →

16 Responses to Photo of the Week: Tikal

1. Arti says:

Beautiful shot! The cloud pattern accentuates the beauty of the pyramid!
    Arti recently posted..A Slice of Ancient Japan: Naramachi

2. Such a lovely shot! The green of the grass is really amazing :)
    Christian Eilers recently posted..How to Travel with Friends Without Wanting to Kill Each Other

Thank you! It’s actually an HDR shot, which is why the colors pop so much! But I also got lucky and was there when both the light and the clouds were great!

3. Nico says:

Beautiful temple set against nice clouds. Must have had great fun exploring this place.
    Nico recently posted..I’ll Drink my Beer From a Teapot

4. Hogga says:

I agree, it is a gorgeous shot!

5. Ryan says:

What an imposing but beautiful structure. Tikal is on the too of my list for Mayan temples to visit.
    Ryan recently posted..Travel! Travel! Read All About It! Best Articles – January 27th-February 2nd

6. Great pic, just pinned it! I’ve only been to the Mayan ruins on the Yucatan, this looks gorgeous though…just added it to my bucket list board!
    Lauren (@Britt0nia) recently posted..Photo of the Week: Shanghai Lights

Thanks! I was really surprised to find out just how many Mayan ruin sites AREN’T on the Yucatan! Belize and Guatemala actually have loads!

7. Adam says:

This is one of the places I want to see more than anywhere in Central America!
    Adam recently posted..Exploring Cleveland’s hipster hotspots (yes, hipsters exist in Ohio)

8. Vi says:

I still need to find my way to Latin America :)
    Vi recently posted..Ayers/Uluru rock. Climb it or not

Definitely! This was my first foray down that way, and I really enjoyed it. So much so that I’m going back to Central America in March!