I’ve never really done anything epic for New Year’s Eve. Even the year I celebrated in Ireland, my friends and I rang in the new year quietly, in a small pub with some live music. I’ve never gone to any crazy parties or all-night celebrations.

But that’s all changing this year. I’m going to make up for all my lame NYE celebrations of the past by ringing in 2013 in epic fashion — I’m going to Hogmanay in Edinburgh, Scotland!

Photo courtesy of Edinburgh’s Hogmanay Press Office (by Chris Watt)

I know I know, you’re probably wondering what the heck Hogmanay is, right? Well, “Hogmanay” is just the word the Scots use for the last day of the year. But the celebrations? The celebrations actually last for 3-4 days in Scotland’s capital and consist of parades, concerts, ceilidh dancing, and one of the largest street parties in the world.

Move over, Times Square. Hogmanay may actually just blow you out of the water!

Photo courtesy of Edinburgh’s Hogmanay Press Office (by Chris Watt)

I’m not just celebrating like a normal Hogmanay reveler, however. For the first time this year, Edinburgh’s Hogmanay is going to have a blog-centric twist. And I’m going to be a part of it! Wittily being called “Blogmanay,” the event will consist of 21 travel bloggers from around the world experiencing the best that Edinburgh and its Hogmanay celebrations have to offer, with the goal of sharing it with the world via social media.

Highlights will include:

• Torchlight Procession (Dec. 30) — There will be Vikings and fire and thousands of people (and FIRE) parading through Edinburgh, culminating in the Son et Lumière finale on Calton Hill.
  • Concert in the Gardens (Dec. 31) — With Bwani Junction, The View, and headliners Simple Minds.
  • Hogmanay Street Party (Dec. 21) — There will be not one, not two, but THREE stages with music throughout the night (including The OK Social Club, Reverend and the Makers, The Maccabees, Shooglenifty, Lau, and Admiral Fallow). The third stage will be broadcasting The REW1ND3R throughout the evening, creating the world’s biggest nightclub throughout the entire length of Princes Street.
  • Ceilidh dancing (Dec. 31) — It’s reported that there will be “non-stop Scottish ceilidh music and dancing” throughout the night. I’d better make sure to bring my dancin’ shoes!
  • Edinburgh’s Dogmanay (Jan. 1) — There will be dog races, contests, and hopefully the opportunity to snuggle a sled dog or two!
  • Your Lucky Day (Jan. 1) — This “festival in a day” also sounds like a great way to explore Edinburgh. Here’s the event description: “Start your afternoon at Destination 1, The National Museum of Scotland, where you roll a dice to decide your next destination. Follow the numbers on the dice around the Old Town for the afternoon and let them take you on a journey through Edinburgh’s most iconic and atmospheric venues discovering performances and installations from some of Scotland’s most exciting and innovative artists and musicians.”
  • And of course there will be midnight fireworks on NYE, plenty of kilts, and what’s sure to be a rousing rendition of “Auld Lang Syne” (did you know the tradition of singing it at midnight actually began in Scotland?).

Throughout the event, we’ll also be attending tweet-ups, press conferences, dinners, brunches and more with everyone from the folks at Skyscanner to NYE headliners Simple Minds. And we’re being given access to a kitted-out media center downtown as well as plenty of mi-fi devices so we can share everything with YOU. If there’s something in particular you want us to check out and report back on, let us know!

Photo courtesy of Edinburgh’s Hogmanay Press Office

After recovering from Blogmanay, my fellow bloggers will be headed up into the Highlands and Isle of Skye for 3 days with Haggis Adventures. To say I’m gutted to be missing out on this (as well as another jaunt to St. Andrew’s) would be a severe understatement. But other travel obligations call, and so I’ll be hanging around Edinburgh for an extra 2 days while everyone else heads north. If you have suggestions for me in Edinburgh (or if you will be around and would like to grab a warm beverage), drop me a line.

Edinburgh

Can’t wait to explore more of this city!

If you want to see what we get up to next weekend, check out the Blogmanay Tumblr page, or simply follow the hashtag #Blogmanay on Twitter (and, if you’ll be at Hogmanay this year, too, make sure to use the #Blogmanay hashtag on anything you post to Twitter or Instagram!).

I can’t even begin to describe how excited I am to be a part of this amazing event. I hope you’ll follow along!

Now… to find me a cute Scottish boy to kiss at midnight!    ;)

Photo courtesy of Edinburgh’s Hogmanay Press Office

Big thanks to Edinburgh’s Hogmanay, along with partners EventScotlandVisitScotlandEdinburgh Tourism Action Group (ETAG), Festivals EdinburghHaggis Adventures and Skyscanner for setting this all up. I’m very much looking forward to another dose of Scotland!

Have you ever been to Hogmanay? What do you want to read about most?

Tagged with →

29 Responses to Where am I Ringing in the New Year? At #Blogmanay in Edinburgh!

1. Pete says:

Sounds like quite the party. Admiral Fallow are great in concert, be sure to check them out. A wonderful way to wind up 2012 and all the best in 2013 Amanda :)
    Pete recently posted..In the Rearview – Our Favourite Days of 2012

2. memographer says:

This is great! Congratulations! Take more pics, Amanda :)
    memographer recently posted..Sapa Vietnam and its tribes (Part 2)

3. Kieu says:

Jealous.. that’s all I have to say.. :P
    Kieu recently posted..The Magic of Christkindmarkt in Vienna

Haha, fair enough! If I wasn’t involved, I’d be jealous too. Hopefully I’ll take everyone along with me via my blog and social media, though!

4. Laurie says:

It looks like so much fun! Another thing to put on my bucket list. Can’t wait to see your photos. Enjoy!!!
    Laurie recently posted..London, I really really miss you…..especially at Christmas…

5. Can’t wait to experience all of this with you!! And I really wish you could join us for the extra days in Scotland…
    Kirsten Alana recently posted..Where I’ll be When the [Year] World Ends

I can’t wait either, Kirsten! But yeah, I’m absolutely gutted I can’t come on the Haggis trip. Having done one with them this summer, I’m sure it will be AMAZING!

6. suzannethetravelmagpie says:

Unless Blogmanay has you holed up in a toilet, the lads will find you for a kiss at midnight. No worries!

7. Cam says:

We attended Hogmanay in 2010 – it was tons of fun! But it’s freakin cold so dress as warm as possible (I’m talking thermal underwear and the works!). I’d like to provide more insight but we were partying pretty hard so my memories are spotty at best. Have fun! You’ve had quite the year… A fitting finish!
    Cam recently posted..Our 10 Most Memorable Travel Experiences of 2012

8. Steve Whitty says:

Wow, I’m jealous. It is one of my to do’s. Enjoy yourself and have a happy Christmas too.
    Steve Whitty recently posted..Photo of the Week – Celebration in Bratislava

9. Ryan says:

Wow, I’ve never heard of this event Amanda but this looks like it’ll blow ANY New Years celebration out of the water. Have an awesome NYE in Scotland!
    Ryan recently posted..Apocalypse FAIL! How to Live like it was the End.

10. ANGLO/Dale says:

Edinburgh was the first place I ever travelled on my own when all this began about 4 years ago & as a Brit I’d have loved to have spent Hogmanay there this year. Maybe next year, no?

Have a good one Amanda from the both of us!

11. Ah enjoy it! I heard about this from my friend, Nadine, and am so jealous! Sounds like it will be a very fun time :)
    Kay Rodriguez recently posted..I’m Officially a Bratislover

12. Sol says:

Cant wait to go myself. Maybe I will see you there. I am super excited. Geek moment here, but we are also going to have coffee in the Elephant house coffee shop, where JK Rowling wrote some of the Harry Potters.

There are big bus tours where you can get on and off to see the major sites.

have a fab time.

Fun! I made sure to find the Elephant House when I was in Edinburgh this summer – for that same geeky reason! It was packed, though, so I didn’t end up getting anything there. Maybe this time!

13. Sofie says:

Wooow, Hogmanay sounds sooooo cool!
    I’m usually not THAT into mass events, but with the whole blog thing organized around it it seems the perfect way to spend NY!
    I still haven’t made it to Schotland, but who knows what 2013 will bring:-)
    Wishing you a great trip!
    Sofie recently posted..Christmas Eve: a whole lot of eating

It’s a really cool thing we’re doing with Blogmanay – it’s HUGE as far as Visit Scotland working with bloggers, and I’m SO excited to be a part of it!

Here’s hoping all our coverage convinces you to visit Scotland yourself in 2013!

14. [...] this week because it’s where I currently am! I’m in Scotland’s capital for #Blogmanay, a blog-tastic take on the city’s annual Hogmanay celebrations to ring in the New Year. [...]

15. Ayngelina says:

Sounds like an absolutely perfect place to spend New Years Eve.
    Ayngelina recently posted..Food Friday: Brixton Market