Each Saturday from now on, I’ll be sharing a photo with you from my travels around the world.

This week, the photo comes from Dubrovnik, Croatia.

This walled city in the south of Croatia is often referred to as “the Pearl of a Adriatic” — and it’s not difficult to understand why. Having repelled almost nearly every invasion thanks to its high walls, Dubrovnik today is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, as well as a major tourist destination. The top activity here is (not surprisingly) walking the walls around the city so you can get views like this one.

Dubrovnik, Croatia

If you like this photo, please share it with your friends on Facebook, Twitter, StumbleUpon, or G+!

Tagged with →

19 Responses to Photo of the Week: Dubrovnik

1. kami says:

ah, so pretty! only 3 weeks and I’ll be there as well :)
    kami recently posted..Photo Essay: old town of Chester, England

2. Lizzie says:

Ah, I love Dubrovnik. Walking the walls around the city was one of my top highlights from my Europe trip last year – beautiful city!
    Lizzie recently posted..Photo Essay: Bullfighting in Madrid

Walking the walls was definitely a highlight for me, too. And, since I did it on such a hot day, it wasn’t even all that crowded!

3. H-Bomb says:

Another top-notch photo of the week! What a view! And it’s always a nice bonus when a cityscape is filled with greenery like this one! Dubrovnik is definitely on my radar now . . .
    H-Bomb recently posted..Big trouble in little China

What a view indeed. I can totally understand why Dubrovnik is one of the most popular destinations in Croatia – and on the Adriatic coast, for that matter! It’s breathtaking.

4. Fred says:

Beautiful pic. I spent a few days in Croatia but didn’t make it to Dubrovnik. Next time!
    Fred recently posted..Tortuga Backpacks V2: The Second Prototype

Definitely try to go next time! Just perhaps not in the height of summer… haha, it was VERY hot and very crowded.

5. Hogga says:

Great shot – love the different colours!
    Hogga recently posted..Hogga and the Tokyo Police

6. Sophie says:

Such a beautiful photo, really captures the amazing colours!

Only managed to get as far down as Split when we hit the Croatian coast, so disappointed I didn’t have a chance to get to Dubrovnik. I can’t believe it looks like this so soon after a war in which half of it was damaged.
    Sophie recently posted..Day trip to Pau

Yeah, Dubrovnik has bounced back from the war astoundingly well. You should definitely try to check it out sometime. I enjoyed Split, too (despite the crowds), but for sheer beauty, no city in Croatia beats Dubrovnik!

7. I LOVE Dubrovnik. As a matter of fact, I was just looking back on the photos from my trip there back in 2008. What a beautiful little city.

8. Simon says:

I swear I took pretty much the exact same photo, no more than a couple of feet from where you must have taken this one! I love Dubrovnik; its just an interesting, beautiful city.
    Simon recently posted..An unfashionable traveller in fashionable Milan