As I write this post, I’m looking out over the Bosphorus from the rooftop bar of my hostel in Istanbul, Turkey.

Wow, have I come a long way from Ohio!

Three weeks have already slipped by during my big 2-month European adventure, and I’ve added 4 new countries to my list: Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, and Turkey. I’ve still got TONS to write about that first leg of my trip, but that will all come in time.

For now, it’s time to focus on the second leg of this adventure!

Split

The second leg of my trip consists of traveling through the Balkans — from Istanbul to Slovenia.

I’m doing this part of my journey with two of my partners, Busabout and the Slovenia Tourist Board, and can’t wait to experience this part of Europe. Most of these countries weren’t even on my original European itinerary, so I kind of consider this a bonus part of my journey.

Here’s my Busabout route:

Busabout

Sorry it's so small...

As you can see (if you have a magnifying glass), I’ll be getting a glimpse of some more of Turkey, a taste of Greece, and a brief look at Albania, Montenegro, and Croatia. I’m looking forward to seeing the Balkans at their best. And, considering how hot it is in this part of Europe right now, hopefully I’ll be getting to know some beaches, too!

After my Busabout trip, I plan to catch a train fro Split to Ljubljana, where I’ll spend 3 nights in the Slovenian capital and then 2 nights in scenic Bled.

My next couple of weeks look like this:

July 13 — Istanbul to Galliploi, Turkey
July 14 — Gallipoli to Thessaloniki, Greece
July 15 — Thessaloniki to Athens, via Meteora, Greece
July 16 — Athens, Greece
July 17 — Athens to Parga, Greece
July 18 — Parga, Greece to Durres, Albania
July 19 — Durres, Albania to Budva, Montenegro
July 20 — Budva, Montenegro to Split, Croatia, via Dubrovnik
July 21 — Split, Croatia
July 22 — Split, Croatia to Ljubljana, Slovenia
July 23-24 — Ljubljana, Slovenia
July 25-26 — Bled, Slovenia

Balkans, here I come!!

I can’t wait to share my adventures with you over the coming weeks, which I hope to do as often as possible with blog posts and (hopefully) frequent photo/video updates. Stay tuned! I have a feeling it’s going to be epic.

Will YOU be in any of these places at the same time as me? If so, let me know!

Also, be sure to be following me on Facebook and Twitter so you don’t miss any part of my upcoming journey!

Tagged with →

18 Responses to I’m in the Balkans!

1. Erik says:

Looks like a great itinerary. Albania, especially, has intrigued me for a long time! Safe travels.

Thanks, Erik! I’m looking forward to getting a glimpse of Albania as well. It’s a place I probably wouldn’t have otherwise seen if not for this trip!

2. Jennifer says:

Very cool itinerary! We were planning a trip to Albania in August but we learned it is not dog friendly. So plans have changed and now we’re road tripping from Italy down the coast of Croatia to Montenegro and then on to Bosnia.
    Jennifer recently posted..If Van Gogh Had a Dog

3. Ali says:

Looks awesome, Amanda! So many great places on that list that I’d like to visit someday. Have fun, looking forward to hearing about the next leg of the trip!
    Ali recently posted..The Time I Thought Our Plane Might Crash

I’m excited for this leg! Especially after meeting my group and getting a run-down of the itinerary. I think it’s going to be really fun!

4. Wow, you’ve got quite a hectic travel schedule. I don’t enjoy traveling when I feel as if I’m always rushing off to my destination. I like to hang out in a place for a few days and really take it all in.
    Lawrence Michaels recently posted..Dangers of Phuket Beaches

Yes, it’s a little hectic. But I can handle it. I like to move slower, too, sometimes, but you unfortunately can’t always travel that way when you’re pressed for time!

5. Juliann says:

I hope someday I can write the same sentence you did: “Wow, have I come a long way from Ohio!”

For now, I’ll just travel there vicariuosly through you. Have fun!
    Juliann recently posted..Star Sighting: Eric Stonestreet

6. Laura says:

Busabout seems really cool (and something that’s actually within my student budget!) – when you come back, it’d be awesome if you could do some sort of review post of your experience with it?

I will most definitely be doing an overall review once I get back, Laura! (I’ll also be reviewing Intrepid, and some of the other companies I work with on this trip, too!)

Busabout is definitely student-budget-friendly, and I’m really happy with it after Day 1. The average age on this particular tour is around 25, and it has a good vibe.

7. Staci K says:

In Slovenia, do consume blueberry icecream. It’s amazing. Another thing to try is homemade rakija in much of the Balkans, but I’ll warn you that it tends to be very strong drink.

In the meantime, have fun and watch out for the urchins in the water along Croatia’s coast and exploring Ljubljana.

8. Sounds like a pretty amazing itinerary – enjoy!
    Emily in Chile recently posted..Casa Felix: clandestine dining in Buenos Aires

9. Pete says:

We’ll be just getting back from Bled with Hodson when you arrive in town. I hope you love Ljubljana as much as we do and hopefully we can get together for a few ‘pivo’s ;)
    Pete recently posted..We are Tropical Zombies

Yes, I really hope to see you guys there! I can’t WAIT for Slovenia (especially after this oppressive heat in Greece!).