Less than an hour from downtown Halifax, Nova Scotia, lies a tiny fishing village called Peggys Cove.

With a permanent population of well below 100, this little village on the edge of St. Margaret’s Bay plays hosts to thousands of foreign tourists during the warm summer months.

Why, you might ask?

Well, these photos should explain it all.

Peggys Point Lighthouse, Nova Scotia

Peggys Cove, Nova Scotia

Peggys Cove is perhaps one of the cutest places I’ve ever been. Yes, it may even rival Akaroa when it comes to effortless charm. It’s so cute and quaint, in fact, that it has led me to use all sorts of forbidden travel superlatives in this paragraph…

Peggys Cove, Nova Scotia

Chiseled artwork made by a former resident.

Peggys Cove, Nova Scotia

One reason people flock to this village is to see and photograph the Peggys Point Lighthouse — one of the most-photographed lighthouses in Canada. It sits atop rocks molded and moved by ancient glaciers, which can be dangerous if you’re not careful.

Peggys Point Lighthouse, Nova Scotia

Peggys Point, Nova Scotia

Peggys Point Lighthouse, Nova Scotia

Peggys Point, Nova Scotia

The village of Peggys Cove is said to have been named for the lone survivor of a ship wreck long ago off the coast — a woman or young girl (no one can quite agree on which) who was nicknamed Peggy by the locals who saved her from the sea.

Peggys Point, Nova Scotia

Peggys Point Lighthouse, Nova Scotia

For a place so small, Peggys Cove sure left a big impression on me. I think I might be in love.

Peggys Cove, Nova Scotia

What do you think of Peggys Cove? Which photo is your favorite?

32 Responses to Peggys Cove in Photos

1. Rich Polanco says:

Awesome pics!!! Reminds me of the town of Rockport, Massachusetts, only that instead of a lighthouse, it has the most photographed fishing shack (in the world I think).

Cool beans :)

-Rich
    Rich Polanco recently posted..How Minimalism Became My Path to Expat Freedom

Fishing shacks are also very cool! I think I’ve fallen in love with all of New England – we saw so many places similar to this one!

2. Alouise says:

Love the photos. I missed Peggy’s Cove on my trip to Nova Scotia which certainly gives me a good reason to go back.
    Alouise recently posted..History and Alcohol – My Urban Adventures Tour in Texas

3. Nancie says:

I’m from Halifax, so Peggy’s is kind of in my blood. Your shots are lovely. Difficult to choose a favorite #2.
    Nancie recently posted..Travel Photo Thursday — June 21st, 2012 — Nova Scotia Moments

4. So beautiful – truly makes me proud of my country :) I particularly like the penultimate shot!
    A Montrealer Abroad recently posted..Postcards from artsy Paris

5. memographer says:

Oh-h! How beautiful this place is! GREAT PICS!
    memographer recently posted..Berlin: Sightseeing Cruise on the River Spree

6. Colourful houses, fishing boats, nets, rocks and a lighthouse – hard to go wrong when it all looks so good. That blue sky helps too. Nice job!
    Richard Tulloch recently posted..TASSENMUSEUM – Amsterdam’s Museum of Bags and Purses

7. Andrea says:

I love the second one, with the lighthouse. What a colorful and adorable place! Great photos :)
    Andrea recently posted..A Purrfect Day: Visiting a Cat Cafe in Seoul

8. Renate says:

Such a beautiful country! I wish I could go up in that lighthouse and watch the sea at a thunder… That would be my dream came true…

9. Ayngelina says:

You got some great shots there. If you like Peggy’s Cove next time come back and visit Lunenburg, another fishing town and it’s really photogenic.
    Ayngelina recently posted..Why I’ll never be a hula girl

Thanks, Ayngelina! Lunenburg was an option to visit, but we unfortunately didn’t have time. I’ll most definitely be back, though!

10. Juliann says:

I love these pictures! My gradmother sent me a postcard from Peggy’s Cove years ago. I thought it was so quaint and picturesque then, but the postcard doesn’t do your pictures justice. Now I’d really like to see this for myself.
    Juliann recently posted..Natural Bridge State Resort Park

Aww thanks for the nice words, Juliann. If you can ever make it to this part of Nova Scotia, do it! Such an awesome slice of Canada.

11. FreshMom says:

Amazing photos! My favorite is the second one – with the lighthouse :) I think it’s relay great that we still can find places like this one on earth – places without MC and morning traffic…
    FreshMom recently posted..Losing weight after pregnancy

I agree! And Peggys Cove is actually protected now, so you will hopefully never see it change too much! (Though, in the summer I hear it DOES get really crowded and congested with tourist buses!)

12. wandergirl says:

Beautiful. Love Peggy’s cove.
    wandergirl recently posted..What Canadians Eat: smoked meat

13. Ashley says:

Beautiful pictures. I am drooling to visit it sometime.

14. Great photos! I love that they have so much red there :)
    Ayelet – All Colores recently posted..Jerusalem’s Ice Festival – Fairy Tales on Ice

15. Nadia Tan says:

Amazing pics Amanda. I love both the lighthouse and the chiseled artwork!
    Nadia Tan recently posted..Laiya Travel Guide

16. myvideomedia says:

Beautiful pictures of Peggy’s Cove. The first one from Peggys Point fascinates me, it shows how small we are on this planet.
    myvideomedia recently posted..Toronto – Distillery District – St. James Cathedral