One of the things I was looking forward to the most on my New England/Canada cruise (besides the amazing seafood, of course) was all the lighthouses I knew I’d see along the East Coast.

This part of North America is breathtakingly pretty, and the lighthouses add that extra special touch to any seascape.

Here are a handful of my favorite lighthouse photos I took from Maine to Nova Scotia.

Portland Head Light

This was the first lighthouse I saw up close in New England, just outside of Portland, Maine. The Head Light is the most-photographed lighthouse in the state, and I can totally understand why. It’s beautiful in any weather.

Portland Head Light, Maine

Under blustery skies...

Portland Head Light, Maine

...and then sunshine a few hours later.

Breakwater Light

This lighthouse is also known as “The Bug” because it’s so cute and tiny.

Breakwater Light, Portland, Maine

Spring Point Ledge

Also known as the “Spark Plug,” this lighthouse dates back to 1898.

Spring Point Ledge, Portland, Maine

Spring Point Ledge, Portland, Maine

You can see Portland Head Light in the distance in this shot.

St. Martins

Okay, so this is kind of cheating… This “lighthouse” in the New Brunswick fishing village of St. Martins isn’t on the water at all. It actually serves as the area’s tourist information center.

St. Martins, New Brunswick, Canada

Peggy’s Cove Lighthouse

Arguably the most stunning (and most-photographed) lighthouse on the East Coast, Peggy’s Cove Lighthouse in Nova Scotia was perhaps my favorite.

Peggy's Cove Lighthouse, Nova Scotia

Peggy's Cove Lighthouse, Nova Scotia

Look at that sky!

Georges Island Lighthouse

And last but not least is the lighthouse on Georges Island in Halifax.

Georges Island, Halifax, Nova Scotia

I think it’s safe to say that this trip has definitely turned me into a lighthouse lover!

Which of these lighthouses is YOUR favorite based on these photos?

19 Responses to Lots of Lighthouses

1. Kate says:

I have a biased love for the East Coast (of Canada), it being my home and all, but I must say it’s pretty cool to see you falling in love with lighthouses as well! Especially Peggy’s Cove! Such an amazing spot :)
    And the seafood is unbelievable as well…. one of things I definitely miss from home!

Yes, the seafood was amazing! I had some of the best seafood chowder in my entire life in Canada. Yum!

And yes, Peggy’s Cove was spectacular! I’ll be doing a photo post about it next week, so keep an eye out for it!

2. Memographer says:

Love lighthouses! Thanks for sharing! Any night shots?
    Memographer recently posted..Berlin: Soviet War Memorial in Tiergarten

3. Barbara says:

I LOVE lighthouses too!!!! These are wonderful pictures.

4. Joseph says:

The Portland Head Light is simply my favorite – I can easily imagine myself living there – cliffs, the sea, a cool house – what’s there not to like!
    Joseph recently posted..Why are some people disappointed in Venice

5. I love all of them. I love the red roofs. I love the color of the water. I love the clouds you got to see. Great photos!
    Ayelet – All Colores recently posted..Jerusalem’s Ice Festival: It’s a Zoo Out Here

6. Eric says:

That first photo reminds me of why I feel in love with Maine when I first visited it 15+ years ago. Lovely!
    Eric recently posted..Easily Influenced?

7. [...] We took a weeklong cruise from Boston through New England and the Canadian Maritimes. We went lighthouse-spotting in Portland, Maine, ate seaweed in St. John’s, New Brunswick, visited Peggy’s Cove near [...]

8. Nadia Tan says:

Wonderful pics! I especially like the first one. It makes me think I’m looking back in time. Some of the other lighthouses too reminds me of Forrest Gump.

Thanks for sharing!