Seaweed. An exotic food to eat?

Well no, not really. People all around the world eat it regularly.

I am not one of those people, however.

Dulse, seaweed

I didn’t have to go to Asia or the South Pacific to try seaweed. In fact, my first encounter with this salty sea plant happened in Saint John, New Brunswick at the City Market. At this market, you can buy everything from artwork to produce to maple syrup to — yup, you guessed it — seaweed.

Saint John City Market

It’s a special kind of seaweed, too — a red seaweed called Dulse that is native to the northern Atlantic coast.

According to a sign at the market, Dulce is a sea vegetable that is grown at low tide, taking root on rocks. The seaweed is harvested from June to November by hand and then sun-dried for 6 hours. It is eaten as-is, “like you would potato chips,” or can be toasted, or used as seasoning in salads or soups.

Dulse, seaweed

Seaweed as a snack food? I was skeptical.

But I decided I had to try it.

The verdict? Dulse is salty, sort of bitter, and basically tastes like you’re eating the ocean.

Did I like it? Well, you’ll have to watch the video below to find out!

Definitely an acquired taste.

Have YOU ever tried seaweed anywhere in the world?

33 Responses to Amanda vs. Food: Seaweed

1. Lauren says:

SEAWEED IS THE WORST. I hate it!
    Lauren recently posted..A painful paddle to a private island paradise

2. Yeah, looks nasty. Cannot say that I am a fan of Seaweed.

3. Ewwww. I hate seaweed (I don’t even really like the mild kind that’s part of sushi), but Kali loves it. I wish I could enjoy it more, because apparently it’s super healthy for you!
    Christy @ Technosyncratic recently posted..An Insider’s Look at Prostitution in Amsterdam’s Red Light District

Yes, apparently it’s especially good for women, as it’s high in iron! But that doesn’t make me like it any more… lol.

4. Have you eaten seaweed in Asia – I don’t know what they do to it there but it tastes so much better than in places like England or NZ, where, quite frankly, I would rather eat my sock! Well done for giving it a go though! You should try ‘sea penis’ next – a great Korean seafood delicacy!! (I wasn’t brave enough! lol)
    Katherine – Kapcha The World recently posted..Chilling out with a cocktail in Minus 5 Ice Bar Queenstown

Nope, can’t say I’ve ever tried it in Asia! Maybe I’ll have to someday…

And as for “sea penis”… yikes! I think I’ll have to pass!

5. Arianwen says:

Eyw! I felt your pain as I watched that video! I admire you for swallowing it. It baffles me why some things become known as ‘food’!
    Arianwen recently posted..The African child safari

6. I don’t mind it when it is holding my sushi rolls together :) But otherwise I’d probably limit it to skin care!
    Anne McKinnell recently posted..I’m in Canadian Geographic!!

7. Lindsey says:

Ugh. Seaweed. Just ugh. I can’t even stand the smell of it. Unfortunately I live with a bunch of people who love seaweed crackers. I feel your pain!
    Lindsey recently posted..Endings and Beginnings

8. Karina says:

Oh my god, I just can’t picture myself that I would eat that… that weed. I am a fan of healthy and organic nutrition but this one is too much for me, I think. But I would taste it of course to get a personal view from it.
    Karina recently posted..Noch eine Woche bis Sommerurlaub

9. Erica says:

Haha! Dried seaweed is actually one of my favorite low-cal snacks and is great in salads… and on its own. And… yeah. I’m definitely a fan :)

There are tricks to getting the minerally goodness, even if the taste is off-putting to you, such as putting in a chunk of dried (unflavored) seaweed in when cooking rice (just compost the actual seaweed when cooked). You’ll barely notice a difference. Heavily flavoring it with your typical soy sauce + rice vinegar + cooking sake combo can do the trick as well!

10. yeah, i dont get why its so popular now as a snack. wouldnt you get really bad breath too???
    Annie of TravelShus recently posted..Finding my Wanderlust in Maui

11. Ayngelina says:

Yep in Nova Scotia dulce is very common although having grown up with it I’ve never tried it.
    Ayngelina recently posted..Why I’ll never be a hula girl

12. Andrea says:

I live in Korea and we pretty much eat it every day…in soup, in Korean-style sushi, dried and salted with rice…Korean’s eat seaweed like it’s their job! :)
    Andrea recently posted..A Purrfect Day: Visiting a Cat Cafe in Seoul

13. HaHaHa! That makes me nervous because I’m going to be living in Korea by the end of the year! Taste of the ocean here I come!
    Heathers Harmony recently posted..Intuitive Travel: It’s NOT all about You

Lol, “it tastes like the ocean” was the best description I could come up with! Try some dulse, and you’ll understand. :)

14. Ali says:

I think I’ve had seaweed in sushi, but I’m not a fan of either. I admire you for trying it!
    Ali recently posted..Auckland is Not Typical New Zealand – And That’s OK

It was kind of a spur of the moment decision to try it… not sure I would have done it if I’d given myself time to think about it/study the stuff. Lol.

15. rob says:

I just found this posting – I actually quite like seaweed. In fact, I have both crushed/powdered seaweed seasoning and a package with sheets of dried Nori in my pantry. I tear the sheets into smallish pieces and use it in soups.

I probably like it because it’s a little salty and bitter – both favorite flavors of mine..

16. Marcelle says:

I’m from SW Nova Scotia, living in Saint John and I don’t like dulse! Dry fish on the other hand, is delicious but mostly found in SW NS :)

Kudos for giving it a try!