Amanda vs. Food: Seaweed

Seaweed. An exotic food to eat?

Well no, not really. People all around the world eat it regularly.

I am not one of those people, however.

I didn’t have to go to Asia or the South Pacific to try seaweed. In fact, my first encounter with this salty sea plant happened in Saint John, New Brunswick at the City Market. At this market, you can buy everything from artwork to produce to maple syrup to — yup, you guessed it — seaweed.

It’s a special kind of seaweed, too — a red seaweed called Dulse that is native to the northern Atlantic coast.

According to a sign at the market, Dulce is a sea vegetable that is grown at low tide, taking root on rocks. The seaweed is harvested from June to November by hand and then sun-dried for 6 hours. It is eaten as-is, “like you would potato chips,” or can be toasted, or used as seasoning in salads or soups.

Seaweed as a snack food? I was skeptical.

But I decided I had to try it.

The verdict? Dulse is salty, sort of bitter, and basically tastes like you’re eating the ocean.

Did I like it? Well, you’ll have to watch the video below to find out!

Definitely an acquired taste.

Have YOU ever tried seaweed anywhere in the world?

• Lauren says:

SEAWEED IS THE WORST. I hate it!

• Yeah, looks nasty. Cannot say that I am a fan of Seaweed.

• Ewwww. I hate seaweed (I don’t even really like the mild kind that’s part of sushi), but Kali loves it. I wish I could enjoy it more, because apparently it’s super healthy for you!

Yes, apparently it’s especially good for women, as it’s high in iron! But that doesn’t make me like it any more… lol.

• Have you eaten seaweed in Asia – I don’t know what they do to it there but it tastes so much better than in places like England or NZ, where, quite frankly, I would rather eat my sock! Well done for giving it a go though! You should try ‘sea penis’ next – a great Korean seafood delicacy!! (I wasn’t brave enough! lol)

Nope, can’t say I’ve ever tried it in Asia! Maybe I’ll have to someday…

And as for “sea penis”… yikes! I think I’ll have to pass!

• Arianwen says:

Eyw! I felt your pain as I watched that video! I admire you for swallowing it. It baffles me why some things become known as ‘food’!

• I don’t mind it when it is holding my sushi rolls together :) But otherwise I’d probably limit it to skin care!

• Lindsey says:

Ugh. Seaweed. Just ugh. I can’t even stand the smell of it. Unfortunately I live with a bunch of people who love seaweed crackers. I feel your pain!

• Karina says:

Oh my god, I just can’t picture myself that I would eat that… that weed. I am a fan of healthy and organic nutrition but this one is too much for me, I think. But I would taste it of course to get a personal view from it.

• Erica says:

Haha! Dried seaweed is actually one of my favorite low-cal snacks and is great in salads… and on its own. And… yeah. I’m definitely a fan :)

There are tricks to getting the minerally goodness, even if the taste is off-putting to you, such as putting in a chunk of dried (unflavored) seaweed in when cooking rice (just compost the actual seaweed when cooked). You’ll barely notice a difference. Heavily flavoring it with your typical soy sauce + rice vinegar + cooking sake combo can do the trick as well!

• yeah, i dont get why its so popular now as a snack. wouldnt you get really bad breath too???

• Ayngelina says:

Yep in Nova Scotia dulce is very common although having grown up with it I’ve never tried it.

• Andrea says:

I live in Korea and we pretty much eat it every day…in soup, in Korean-style sushi, dried and salted with rice…Korean’s eat seaweed like it’s their job! :)

• HaHaHa! That makes me nervous because I’m going to be living in Korea by the end of the year! Taste of the ocean here I come!

Lol, “it tastes like the ocean” was the best description I could come up with! Try some dulse, and you’ll understand. :)

• Ali says:

I think I’ve had seaweed in sushi, but I’m not a fan of either. I admire you for trying it!

It was kind of a spur of the moment decision to try it… not sure I would have done it if I’d given myself time to think about it/study the stuff. Lol.

• rob says:

I just found this posting – I actually quite like seaweed. In fact, I have both crushed/powdered seaweed seasoning and a package with sheets of dried Nori in my pantry. I tear the sheets into smallish pieces and use it in soups.

I probably like it because it’s a little salty and bitter – both favorite flavors of mine..

• Marcelle says:

I’m from SW Nova Scotia, living in Saint John and I don’t like dulse! Dry fish on the other hand, is delicious but mostly found in SW NS :)

Kudos for giving it a try!

• NMichael79 says:

Whats with all the seaweed haters on this site? I guess most of you folks haven’t even tried it. Dulse is probably the moist flavorful and versatile seaweed. I guess I’m the odd duck in the fact that I like the taste of most seaweeds. There are a couple of them that I do not like the taste of however including alaria. Look up the fact that when dulse is fried, some people are saying that it tastes like bacon. Well I somehow doubt that but I have not tried it. I can gorge myself on Dulse just eating it dry. I could easily eat an ounce or more at one time. There are different quality grades. The best is the whole leaf that is a deep dark maroon. It smells different from other kelps. I think its better to call these plants kelp. Its less off-putting to the uninitiated. I think when people think of seaweed they often imagine it wet and slimy floating in the ocean, but once it dries out, its not slimy. The stuff is really good for you. It contains the nutriceutical fucoidan that helps protect against radiation plus chock full of iodine that stimulates metabolism and does all sorts of other good things.

Dulse seaweed really is my favorite in terms of flavor. It is very unique in the world. Its a gift from the sea. A huge blessing from mother earth and so much more tasty than other varieties. Its some good stuff and I plan to get some more again soon.