The theme of #FriFotos this week is “WILD,” and I can’t think of any destination I’ve been to so far that better embodies this the word than Alaska.

Here, then, are some of my best photos from wild Alaska:

This first batch comes from the capital city of Juneau. For the best wild views here, head up the Mount Roberts Tramway, or catch a ride out to the Mendenhall Glacier. It was here 2 summers ago that I saw my very first glacier up-close.

Juneau, Alaska

View from the top of Mount Roberts

Mendenhall Glacier, Juneau, Alaska

Mendenhall Glacier and Nugget Falls

Mendenhall Glacier, Juneau, Alaska

Mendenhall Glacier, Juneau, Alaska

Mendenhall Glacier up close

Mendenhall Glacier, Juneau, Alaska

The next group comes from in and around Skagway, a little former-mining-town-turned-tourist-mecca. Here, find the best wild views by venturing out of town a bit. This could include renting a car and driving into the nearby mountains, or riding the White Pass and Yukon Route railway along the old gold mining route.

Skagway, Alaska

Sunrise over Skagway from the harbor

Yakutania Point, Skagway, Alaska

Yakutania Point

White Pass, Alaska

Riding the rails up to White Pass

White Pass, Alaska

White Pass

White Pass, Alaska

Skagway, Alaska

Skagway tidal flats

Lastly, here are some wild and beautiful photos from Tracy Arm Fjord in Alaska’s Inside Passage. Sailing through this passage in June was both cold and calm, but well worth getting up at 6 a.m. for.

Tracy Arm Fjord, Sawyer Glacier, Alaska

Sawyer Glacier up ahead

Iceberg, Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska

Iceberg!

Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska

Such calm water

Alaska

Midnight sun - almost literally; this was at 11 p.m.!

These wild photos have convinced me that I definitely need to spend some more time in Alaska.

Which “wild” photo is your favorite?

Tagged with →

29 Responses to Photo Essay: Wild Alaska

1. Leah says:

I never thought I wanted to go to Alaska, but your pictures may have changed my mind. I like the White Pass best.
    Leah recently posted..Texas: A Whole Other Country (Literally)

It’s a really beautiful state — completely unlike most of the rest of the U.S.! Definitely worth visiting someday if you ever have the chance.

2. These photos are STUNNING, Amanda! I’m sure the beauty of Alaska helped, but still. :) We’d love to take a cruise up there and explore the icebergs, then spend a few weeks camping and hiking in the summer. Just as long as it isn’t freezing cold and we have more than a few hours of fun. :P
    Christy @ Technosyncratic recently posted..The Time We Almost Got Eaten by Tigers in Chiang Mai

3. EurotripTips says:

I love the one with the purple flowers! Such tiny little cute things in a grand panorama.
    EurotripTips recently posted..Cadaqués : Views, Villas and Vines

4. Laurence says:

Great shots! As others have said, the one with the purple flowers is lovely, really eye catching composition :)
    Laurence recently posted..In photos: My life in France (so far!)

5. It’s hard to pick a favourite, but I did really really like the third one
    Jade – OurOyster.com recently posted..Pisa – An Indie Traveller Town

Thanks, Jade! I really like that shot too… something about the clouds and the silhouettes that I really like.

6. Ali says:

A good friend of mine lives in Alaska. I’ve only been up there to visit once, but it was in September which was the perfect temperature. It’s such a gorgeous place, I’d love to go back and explore more. I love these pictures, especially the one with the purple flowers in front of the mountain. (Kinda similar idea to the picture of mine you liked!)
    Ali recently posted..Weekly Photo – Santorini Sunset

I’ll bet it would be really pretty in the fall. In fact, it’s probably very pretty year-round, though I don’t know that I’d want to venture too far north there in the winter!

7. Sam says:

Beautiful place. Certainly on our list.
    Think my favourite was your photo of Mendenhall Glacier and Nugget Falls. Keep shooting.
    Sam recently posted..Sioux Falls

It definitely deserves a spot on any list! And thanks for the kind words – I most certainly will keep shooting!

8. Cherina says:

Alaska is one of the most beautiful places I’ve been. Love this photo essay – I could look at photos of Alaska for hours! My favourite is the one of the floating iceberg.
    Cherina recently posted..Going it Alone in Iceland

Thanks, Cherina! I agree that I could look at photos of Alaska for hours. It has so many amazing lanscapes to see!

9. Connie says:

Sunrise over Skagway from the harbor

10. Beautiful photos! We visited Alaska about 5 years ago and this brings back the memories :)
    Leslie (Downtown Traveler) recently posted..PHOTOS: The best beach towns in Brazil – our top 8 picks

11. Those are very impressive. I’ve personally never been to Alaska but I do have a close friend who lives there and I always say I’m going to get there one day.

Lee

12. Derek says:

Seriously?! You need to go further NORTH! I live in Wasilla, just moved here June 2011 and have loved it so far! Its definitely wild. My wife and I drove to Fairbank last summer. The drive there was pretty, amazing and beautiful. Next time you are here.. go to Denali National Park, see the mountains, go to Fairbank. Don’t forget a day cruise out of Seward to see the whales and glaciers. There are cruise ships that go from Seattle to Seward.. its absolutely beautiful there.
    Derek recently posted..The Purpose Of This Travel Blog

Believe me, I would have gone further north if I could have! Unfortunately, this cruise didn’t allow for it. But I’ll definitely be back some day!

13. Yu Ya Ling says:

Wow! You have been to lots of beautiful places and wonderful spots in the world. Most of people prefer to travel in city rather than nature landscape, but you seems like to venture in nature as your blog’s photo showed. I’m especially interested of your travel in Alaska. I know not much about Alaska before, but now, I realize it is an amazing place by your photo, and I surprised the sunset in the midnight, it’s not dark at all. Mountain with snow, glacier and iceberg which are never showed in my life, shows in the same place-Alaska. Alaska is worthy to visit, and I believe that it is a good place for relaxing and traveling. I think I may travel there some day.

Thanks for the comment! Alaska is indeed very beautiful, and well worth visiting if you ever get the chance! It certainly has much different landscape than Ohio! ;)

14. Susan says:

We cater to the visitors coming to Alaska on the kenai Peninsula. The pictures that you have are
    of some beautiful places. As a 10 year old in Florida I dreamed of Alaska. Took me more than 30
    years but I made it, via Texas. I am home now! And I welcome anyone who wants to visit a land that
    is still with widlife and clean air and a comuunity that welcomes you to their town….

Good on you for making your Alaska dream a reality! I love hearing stories of people finally finding that sense of “home” in a place, no matter how long it took. You certainly live in a beautiful state!